Download Files Gone

Knightmare

I had some files in subfolders in my downloads folder and I just went there today to access a file only to find that there were only 2 subfolders instead of the 5 that I had. Does anyone know of a tool that would tell me when the files/folders were deleted and which program deleted them? I did run Cleanmgr+ and Bleachbit yesterday--or the day before that--so I'm thinking that one of those programs may have deleted my folders, but I can't find any setting in them that would delete files from the downloads folder. Unless this is some stupid Windows 10 glitch. I've had cases where I install a program one day and I can access it from the start menu, then I go to run it the next day and it's gone from the start menu, but the program is still installed.

• Replies 4
  • Views 908
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  1. If you haven't used "wipe" or "wipe free space" then these files are still there and you can try the recovery;
  2. There's certainly a log file somewhere if you haven't deleted it;
  3. Windows does not delete any files without prompting you, if You haven't made some changes in settings;
  4. No program will selectively delete subfolders from your downloads folder or anywhere else.
  5. Maybe you want to specify which files were deleted, ie were the files with certain extensions, or what files were they at all?
  6. Isn't there a chance that there is some kind of malware somewhere?

1 minute ago, Kalju said:
  1. If you haven't used "wipe" or "wipe free space" then these files are still there and you can try the recovery;
  2. There's certainly a log file somewhere if you haven't deleted it;
  3. Windows does not delete any files without prompting you, if You haven't made some changes in settings;
  4. No program will selectively delete subfolders from your downloads folder or anywhere else.
  5. Maybe you want to specify which files were deleted, ie were the files with certain extensions, or what files were they at all?
  6. Isn't there a chance that there is some kind of malware somewhere?
  1. I haven't wiped my free space
  2. With my luck, I probably did delete it
  3. I haven't changed anything in my settings
  4. Are you sure about that?
  5. The files were movie files and they were in a subfolder called Movies
  6. I ran a scan with Zemana and it flagged some extensions in Firefox.

clean manager +  can delete downloads if you have checked it.

you can try right click on the folder and choose previous versions ,if you have restorepoints enabled you can recover these files

or you can  use disk digger  or other software to recover the files.

Archived