[HELP] How(if) can I increase the reception strength of my laptop's wifi adapter.

man.with.a.plan

man.with.a.plan

Here I'm not talking about methods like using a wifi range extender or any other stuff like that.

I was able to do this(increase the strength/range) on my Linux install on same laptop and it increased so large that I could get reception from three rooms away.

I used this : https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new

Method : https://askubuntu.com/questions/778589/realtek-wifi-driver-problem-rtl8723be-weak-signal

open terminal and run

iwconfig

Note down the wlp number, in my case it was wlp13s0

Now download the driver from this link

And unzip and copy it to the Desktop. The final result should be like you should have a folder named rtlwifi_new-rock.new_btcoex in Desktop.

Now go back to terminal and cd to that folder. that is

cd Desktop
cd rtlwifi_new-rock.new_btcoex

Now run these commands 1 by 1

make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -rv rtl8723be
sudo modprobe -v rtl8723be ant_sel=2

By now your wifi should be strong and start working, but follow below commands to make the settings permanent

sudo ip link set wlp13s0 up
sudo iw dev wlp13s0 scan
echo "options rtl8723be ant_sel=2" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/50-rtl8723be.conf

Anybody know something?..

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just buy a USB adapter with a screw-in-antenna. That way you can put a 6 or 8 db antenna on it.

Check the chipset is supported by Linux before you buy it.

It's what I use when I'm traveling and need to find an open Wifi. Much more discrete than pointing cantennas at buildings.

If that doesn't work, buy a 4 meter USB (Male/Female) cable and connect the Wireless USB with the antenna to the laptop with it. That way you can keep the laptop on the table (or in the car) and move the antenna/USB around until you get the best signal.

USB Wireless adaptors usually come with 2db antennas, which are pretty weak.

I think the problem you are describing above is chipset-specific. Patching the driver is not a general solution.

Archived