Is there a way to break a Windows 10 hardware id, therefore remove tied store apps to it?

Shimazu

I plan on selling a custom pc that has a digital license, no microsoft account. Even on a fresh install it automatically activates after local account creation and it remembers my store history in the "My Library" Section due to HWID.

I read the only way to break your HWID on microsofts side is by changing hardware. If I were to start hooking up the different motherboards/cpu's I have laying around to this machine would it reset my hardware ID? And if I did that and then put back in the original motherboard then registered a new HWID with something like KMS would that do the trick? Just curious.

• Replies 9
  • Views 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The AchieVer
2 hours ago, Shimazu said:

I read the only way to break your HWID on microsofts side is by changing hardware. If I were to start hooking up the different motherboards/cpu's I have laying around to this machine would it reset my hardware ID

You could reinstall/update device driver especially Intel Rapid Storage Technology because it might changes some parts of the ID (which then triggers the system to re-activate the product).

Regards

1 hour ago, The AchieVer said:

You could reinstall/update device driver especially Intel Rapid Storage Technology because it might changes some parts of the ID (which then triggers the system to re-activate the product).

Regards

I'll go ahead and try that, I don't currently have Intel RST installed so that would be easy to attempt.

If all else fails I will try experimenting with different Mobo's/Cpu's  to break the licensing on the machine and then input a different key.

Thanks for your response.

C.G.B. Spender
12 hours ago, The AchieVer said:

Regards

I regularly update iRST on 3 machines when new whql version is out and it never did anything to my hwid or activation status. 

Why not do it the proper way instead of trying to break stuff? (I have followed this process on a windows tablet I sold and it removed all info.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10547/microsoft-account-selling-gifting-windows-10-device-xbox-one

The AchieVer
2 minutes ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

I regularly update iRST on 3 machines when new whql version is out and it never did anything to my hwid or activation status. 

Whenever you update device drivers , they won’t deactivate your applications . 

However, when you reinstall the applications, at that point in time you need to reactivate as the device drivers update MIGHT have had changed some parts of HWID.

Further, if you go through the post carefully, the author wants to change the HWID.

Regards

The AchieVer
7 minutes ago, alexxf said:

You can change the HWID changing network adapter MAC  Address in BIOS.

Yes, this is another way of doing so.

Regards

16 hours ago, sefton22 said:

whats the reason for the deactivation?

i've bought an OEM key from ebay that still works for £3-£5

https://m.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-windows-10-license-new-computer-or-hard-drive

Because Microsoft ties even a local accounts Microsoft store history to the HWID of the Windows activation. Even after a clean install of windows it still keeps this information. I don't want my store application download history tied to a computer that will be someone elses.

6 hours ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

Why not do it the proper way instead of trying to break stuff? (I have followed this process on a windows tablet I sold and it removed all info.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10547/microsoft-account-selling-gifting-windows-10-device-xbox-one

That doesn't break the microsoft store and HWID link, not even a clean install does.

For example after clean Windows 10 install and creation of local account I can go into the store and see the 60 or so applications this machine has downloaded even without a microsoft account. This is tied to the HWID assigned to the activated machine on Microsofts servers. I assume the only way to break this link is by forcing a HWID change.

I know this does not solve the problem, but this is an excellent example of the benefit of an MS Account.  Your apps are tied to your account, and not the machine, therefore they move with you as you switch machines, and do not remain with the machine.

Archived