KB4489899

csmdew

My pc has tried to install this update every day since 3/12 and always fails. I have also tried to do stand alone install and failed. Does anyone know how to force install or just stop it from showing up daily for retry install; really tired of seeing it, thanks.

• Replies 40
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try to clean up computer as much as possible, also folder %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Then clean registry as much as possible, but usually CCleaner Registry cleaner is enough, run as admin cmd.exe and scannow
(You may use desktop shorcut C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k sfc.exe/scannow) and run it as administrator.
It repairs errors, if there is and then restart and try again.
If You need tutorial, how to install manually, I'll say/write if needed.

15 minutes ago, nOkialpha said:

Windows Update MiniTool

English Thread @MDL

Download:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwJH2CazcjsINFZFc1pVdk9mNHM/view?usp=drive_web

hide/install updates/drivers

wumt.png

Why do you recommend such a thing? Man asks for help and you suggest to hide update?

Instead of fix the problem recommend to hide.... fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Why do you recommend such a thing? Man asks for help and you suggest to hide update?

Instead of fix the problem recommend to hide.... fantastic.

because update is buggy and he/she also asked how to stop showing up this update

just stop it from showing up daily for retry install; really tired of seeing it, thanks.

Try to do it manually:

1. Make sure your WU is not disabled

2. Download KB4489899:
    x86 ---> http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/03/windows10.0-kb4489899-x86_21bf6c51e434f414a754b952894395bcddb9211f.msu

x64 ---> http://download.windowsupdate.com/c/msdownload/update/software/secu/2019/03/windows10.0-kb4489899-x64_c155ece4afbee219e7dfb83df67a7f2baf7c0d1d.msu

3. Download  Win10 Update Installer Script [Credits to: abbodi1406 - MDL]
    I attached the file to my post (download & extract)

4. This script will install the update but it must be a .cab file (not .msu file)
    You can convert the msu package to cab very easily with WinTool Kit
    However, instead of downloading any extra tools ---> You can do it with WinRAR

The msu package already contains the cab file, just open it with WinRAR & extract the cab file

* Right-click the msu file you downloaded and select "Open with"
    Spoiler

lxR2QCh.png

* Select "More apps"

Spoiler

546hnR3.png

* Then "Look for another app on this PC"

Spoiler

h0M2fdj.png

* Select "WinRAR" and click "Open"

Spoiler

PXkk0xr.png

* Now, it's the 1st file which is 153 MB in size which you have to extract
    Select it, then click "Extract To"

Spoiler

TFFTZjw.png

5. After extracting the .cab file, put it together with the script in the same folder (This's a mandatory step; otherwise the script cannot detect it)
    Then, run the script as administrator

Spoiler

MHUUL9l.png

6. Press (0) to start

Spoiler

Ek2bLO8.png

7. The script detected the .cab file successfully

Spoiler

8hY9qum.png

8. Installing it .....

Spoiler

VoayXX7.png

9. Installed successfully

Spoiler

v9ksumk.png

10. Finished ---> You must reboot your system to complete the installation

Spoiler

9DGL2pJ.png

11. Before restart

Spoiler

43FKRpi.png

12. After restart

Spoiler

8gcS2Xr.png

W10UI.rar

Try to answer all responses here. Have tried manual update several times, didn't work, have 64bit,  have ran sfc several times with no corruptions noted, and CC at least 4 times. ONly thing haven't tried listed is %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download (not sure how) the cab install listed above (i'll try it). Thanks for all suggestions and will work towards using info provided and what I have already done to see if I can get it installed . But I also thought after posting this that maybe I could just wait until next month's roll out  for upgrade (yes/no).

One other thought, do I need the Feb update installed before this one will install, because it failed to install as well.

Ran into problem at step 7 above, it extracted this to my  C windows temp folder and did nothing else. Not sure if this temp folder existed before and what I can delete that came from this extraction of the cab file by the cmd file.    In step 6 at line 2 the last part says InstallW10Updates  but when I run mine it only says W10UI and don't mention install. So nothing happened except extracted some parts to windows/temp folder. Don't know why.

43 minutes ago, csmdew said:

So nothing happened except extracted some parts to windows/temp folder. Don't know why.

Do you have enough space on Partition C ?

3 minutes ago, DR_ADHAM said:

Do you have enough space on Partition C ?

190gb space; if only the words at the end of line 2 were the same it would probably work

3 minutes ago, csmdew said:

if only the words at the end of line 2 were the same it would probably work

What do you mean ? Which words ??

See line 2 on your sample and mine are different at end; I have no InstallW10Updates.

2 minutes ago, DR_ADHAM said:

When you press 0, what happens next ?

It just extract some files to the windows temp folder

Compare your sample above step 6 to my png and the second line down.

1 minute ago, csmdew said:

See line 2 on your sample and mine are different at end; I have no InstallW10Updates.

It just extract some files to the windows temp folder

That's what is supposed to occur, you've to wait till the extraction process completes, then it'll automatically jump to the next step.

PS: The text in line 2 is just the name of the folder that contains the .cab file.

It's (InstallW10Updates) on my machine as I named it and it's (W10UI) on your machine as you named it.. No problem

Just please make sure you're putting the tool with the .cab file in the same (W10UI) folder.

I ran it like that and it just extracted the files and then the cmd prompt closed, never advanced to step 7 or 8 or any further; was afraid to run it a second time but will give it a shot if you think it will run.

In the w10u folder I have w10u and the cab as it looks at step 5.

This is what happens.

Untitled 2.png

Could you show me the contents of the folder where you should have put the update file + the tool.

Archived