Filter Lists Questions for uBO/Nano

Knightmare

I kind of have a bunch of questions about the filter lists. Both of the programs have a similar layout and have the same filters. I switched from uBO to Nano because of Nano Defender naturally working with Nano Adblocker and because of the similarity. I made the decision to abandon uMatrix and added the lists from uMatrix into Nano. Surprisingly, my browsing experience has been pretty smooth. I thought that with so many filters that it would slow me down but my browser is still pretty fast. I do notice in the filters that are enabled that not all of the lines are being used, which leads into my questions:

• Why is it that some the filters within the filter lists aren't being used? A big one that I noticed was MVPS hosts. It says that it contains 12,000+ filters but it's only using ~11,000 of them. At one point, it was only using ~8,000 but it jumped up for some reason.
  • I did notice that my browser became noticeably slower when I added EasyPrivacy to the collection. Is EasyPrivacy not necessary since I'm using the multipurpose filters from uMatrix?
  • Disconnect vs EasyPrivacy: Which one is better?
  • How good/necessary are the uBlock Filters? I noticed one of them is a privacy filter, but I don't know if that one is needed because it only has 157 filters whereas EasyPrivacy has 16,000+ filters.
  • Are there any filters that are included in the program that are outdated and/or should be avoided?
  • Are there any filters that are included in the program that are really good that I should include in my collection?

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The AchieVer
40 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Why is it that some the filters within the filter lists aren't being used? A big one that I noticed was MVPS hosts. It says that it contains 12,000+ filters but it's only using ~11,000 of them. At one point, it was only using ~8,000 but it jumped up for some reason.

Ad blockers are content filters that rely on predefined filter lists to identify and remove ads. They work by compiling lists of expressions associated with ads and using pattern matching to compare those against outgoing requests made by the user's browser.

I did notice that my browser became noticeably slower when I added EasyPrivacy to the collection. Is EasyPrivacy not necessary since I'm using the multipurpose filters from uMatrix?

Matrix-filtering, it is fully hierarchical with no limit, and since it's written from the ground up this way, it far more efficient than pattern-based filtering.

If you use both simultaneously, the browser would slow down.

In my opinion, EasyPrivacy is not necessary.

Are there any filters that are included in the program that are outdated and/or should be avoided?

That should’nt be the case, as filters are updated in real time.

It’s a matter of personal preference with regards to your collection of filters list.

Regards

38 minutes ago, The AchieVer said:

Ad blockers are content filters that rely on predefined filter lists to identify and remove ads. They work by compiling lists of expressions associated with ads and using pattern matching to compare those against outgoing requests made by the user's browser.

Right but I was wondering why it doesn't use all of the filters in the lists. My assumption is that some filter lists contain the same filters, so it will use the filter in one list and disable it in the other. For example, doubleclick.net. I would assume that all of the lists have some form of doubleclick in them, but some if you have doubleclick blocked by one, then you don't need it in the others. But I guess I really want to know how the addon decides which list to use to block doubleclick and which lists will have it disabled since it's only needed once.

43 minutes ago, The AchieVer said:

Matrix-filtering, it is fully hierarchical with no limit, and since it's written from the ground up this way, it far more efficient than pattern-based filtering.

If you use both simultaneously, the browser would slow down.

In my opinion, EasyPrivacy is not necessary.

Matrix filtering? What is that?

44 minutes ago, The AchieVer said:

That should’nt be the case, as filters are updated in real time.

It’s a matter of personal preference with regards to your collection of filters list. 

I just wasn't sure if there are any lists where the developers just abandoned the project. Like the uBlock lists don't seem to update that much at all. I'm just wondering how much I need them.

The AchieVer
12 minutes ago, Knightmare said:

Matrix filtering? What is that?

Sorry , my bad. I missed the “u” in uMatrix.

Matrix filtering is something different.

Regards

18 hours ago, The AchieVer said:

Sorry , my bad. I missed the “u” in uMatrix.

Matrix filtering is something different.

Regards

But I don't use uMatrix any more, I just use the filters from it in Nano. Is that the same thing?

The AchieVer

The best-known ad filter initiative is EasyList. It is used by the majority of popular blockers.

Other filter lists built into various ad blockers don't block ads but do other useful things.

Now, it’s your choice as to what exactly you are trying to block using the adblocker and accordingly use the desired filters.

Regards

Just like uBO+EasyList causes pages to load faster (because there's less to load), I think EasyPrivacy should only be a net benefit, though perhaps it wouldn't have as much of a positive effect as EasyList, just due to the nature of what's being blocked.

Has anyone else seen EasyPrivacy have a detrimental effect?

5 hours ago, rseiler said:

Has anyone else seen EasyPrivacy have a detrimental effect?

I've seen pages malfunctioning when EasyPrivacy was active.

I remember videos Not showing on a legitimate National Broadcasting site.

But EasyPrivacy fixed it. It took them some days to do so.

• Administrator

If not answered already, it's possible that it might be preventing to overlap the same rules I think.

I think I have it fixed. I just disabled EasyPrivacy list and am using all of the multipurpose lists. I also left the nano/ublock filters at default.

Archived