[Solved] Will AOMEI Partition Delete my partition Physically

Karamjit

hi respected members...good morning to all

i want to ask something. i want to copy my OS (Windows7) to an external disk drive with the help of AOMEI Partition Wizard 8.1. question is what option should i select i.e. Migrate OS or Disk Copy?

....and if select Migrate OS, in this case will it physically move my laptop's "C" partition or it will copy my "C" partition to external drive???

Thanks for your valuable answers in advance....

• Replies 5
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The AchieVer
41 minutes ago, Karamjit said:

i want to ask something. i want to copy my OS (Windows7) to an external disk drive with the help of AOMEI Partition Wizard 8.1.

By copy, do you mean to backup or creating a system image of  your C drive?

.question is what option should i select i.e. Migrate OS or Disk Copy?

migration means to make an exactly same copy of operating system (OS) as the original one and transfer it to another storage device, like hard disk drive (HDD), solid state drive (SSD), etc. 

Further, migration copies not only your Windows operating system, but also installed applications, drivers, updates and custom settings on the system drive.

If you wanna move your OS to another HDD or SSD , then choose the migrate option, else just create an image backup.

and if select Migrate OS, in this case will it physically move my laptop's "C" partition 

NO

or it will copy my "C" partition to external drive???

YES, it will copy/ create a image of Windows OS.

Regards

1 hour ago, The AchieVer said:

By copy, do you mean to backup or creating a system image of  your C drive?

No dear, i want OS With everything installed to run windows from external disk in case if windows fails to run from my laptop's physical "C" Drive

The AchieVer
Just now, Karamjit said:

i want OS With everything installed to run windows from external disk in case if windows fails to run from my laptop's physical "C" Drive

Well in that case, use the option -migrate os.

Regards

1 hour ago, The AchieVer said:

Well in that case, use the option -migrate os.

Initiated the process as per your recommendations.....

I did this recently using Aomei. I was not able to boot the drive after using Disk Copy. However, Migrate OS worked and made the external drive bootable. Note, it did not copy the recovery partitions, only the EFI booting and main content partitions.

Archived