Microsoft Releases New Details on Windows Update Outage

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

Microsoft Releases New Details on Windows Update Outage 

Windows Update went down in late January due to what eventually proved to be a DNS issue encountered by several ISPs, with customers in several regions, including the United States and the UK, no longer being able to update their devices.

Windows Update went down in late January due to what eventually proved to be a DNS issue encountered by several ISPs, with customers in several regions, including the United States and the UK, no longer being able to update their devices.

In February, Microsoft explained that it was working with partners to resolve the problem and instructed users to get in touch with their ISPs to flush their DNS records.

“A software update to the external provider’s DNS servers resulted in the distribution of corrupted DNS records that affected connectivity to the Windows Update service,” Microsoft explained at that point.

In a March 8 update, the company points users to KB4493784, a new knowledge base article that includes information on how to resolve the problem hitting Windows Update.

“If you are still unable to connect to Windows Update services due to this problem, please contact your local ISP or network administrator and refer them to this KB which will help them resolve the DNS issue for you,” Microsoft explains.Patch Tuesday just around the cornerIn short, the software giant provides guidance on how to tell if the network is affected by the DNS corruption bug, and then offers assistance to help flush the DNS records to restore Windows Update. Microsoft says the Windows Update service hostnames that must be used are the following:

sls.update.microsoft.com
fe2.update.microsoft.com
fe3.delivery.mp.microsoft.com
au.download.windowsupdate.com
sls.update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
fe2.update.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
fe3.delivery.dsp.mp.microsoft.com.nsatc.net
audownload.windowsupdate.nsatc.net

Microsoft explains that the Windows Update issue has already been resolved, but I’ve seen several reports from users on reddit and other tech forums explaining that updating their devices still doesn’t work.

This is without a doubt the reason Microsoft published new guidance on this bug as well, though, at this point, it’s hard to estimate how many users might still struggle to update their devices. With a new Patch Tuesday just around the corner, however, it’s critical for everyone to get the Windows Update service up and running as soon as possible.

• Replies 1
  • Views 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting. I haven't used my ISP's DNS in years. I've been using OpenDNS for years without a hitch. It may not be the fastest (depending on where you are), but I have been totally satisfied with this free DNS service. No problems updating 1809 here.

Nice list of Windows update domains there. Using them in a router's blacklist may be a way to take control of updates back to me and away from Microsoft.

Archived