What is the speed of your SSD ?

mehdibleu

Without all the extra startup programs, its just 20 seconds to boot (after BIOS time.) There's a lot of latency built-in to my startup programs as they check for hardware and software updates.

• Replies 44
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, moopster said:

Without all the extra startup programs, its just 20 seconds to boot (after BIOS time.) There's a lot of latency built-in to my startup programs as they check for hardware and software updates.

So if i'm correct, it went from 1 min 23 sec to 34 sec as boot time now. Correct ?

Could you now do a restart time ? (From windows session)

Good, now i can say that it is a reasonable boot time for an ssd. :)

Ok now please do a restart time and give me the timer result.

Here's my Restart time, higher due to Windows completely reloading all drivers.

bootracer1.PNG.0d568b0c160220be4d1fb0f08ba8178d.PNG

ok so i tested this tool " BootRacer" which supposedly allows to calculate exactly the boot time of a machine but i noticed that the calculation which is made by this tool is completely random and so it does not represent the real boot time so it's unreliable.

So the only way to be sure of the real boot time of your machine is to calculate the boot time by yourself with a clock.

a script to print the time in a text file when u run it and after u restart might be handy...

a raw version for it from my end:

Spoiler

Save this code as "time.bat" and place it in your Startup folder (Run "shell:startup" to open it on Windows 10). It'll print the time when u run it and after u restart in a text file located at "%UserProfile%\time.txt"

@echo off
setlocal
echo %date%:%time% >> %UserProfile%\time.txt
:PROMPT
SET /P Restart=Restart (Y/[N])?
IF /I "%Restart%" NEQ "Y" GOTO END
del %UserProfile%\time.txt
echo %date%:%time% >> %UserProfile%\time.txt
shutdown.exe /r /t 00
:END
endlocal

do the math and delete the txt and bat files when u're done.

i'm sure there's a more elegant way of doing it... 

1 hour ago, jbleck said:

a script to print the time in a text file when u run it and after u restart might be handy...

a raw version for it from my end:

Reveal hidden contents

i'm sure there's a more elegant way of doing it... 

thabns for this script, it works and indeed it can be practical when it comes to calculate the restart time but the problem is that the timer stops when the desktop appears when it has to stop when all programs including ethernet and wifi icons are completely loaded so again to be really sure of the boot time, having a stopwatch in hand is necessary tohave the exact time.

btw you haven't sent me your timer results yet. i'm curious to know your boot time with your hardware configuration.

On 3/2/2019 at 11:27 PM, mehdibleu said:

yes i know that the speed of the SSD can vary from machines which do not have the same hardware, i mentionned that in my first post but there is still interesting to know the boot time of the SSD on each configuration to be able to compare them all together and see what is the hardware that allows to the SSD to boot very quickly.

Maybe my dream of SSD is unreal for this old laptop if hdd still runs cool. Hdd is connected to SATA II with 3.0 GB maximum transfer mode, and other hardware is also about ten years old.

Slow boot time is rare problem for me. I push power button and then there are always some other practical tasks to do while the boot finishes. Maybe I use those 30 $ for red wine.

Or can I get extra speed with SSD? :eekout:

7 hours ago, Radpop said:

Maybe my dream of SSD is unreal for this old laptop if hdd still runs cool. Hdd is connected to SATA II with 3.0 GB maximum transfer mode, and other hardware is also about ten years old.

Slow boot time is rare problem for me. I push power button and then there are always some other practical tasks to do while the boot finishes. Maybe I use those 30 $ for red wine.

Or can I get extra speed with SSD? :eekout:

SSD was designed to make your machine faster whatever its age so yes you will notice a real difference in speed when using an SSD.

What is the exact model of your machine ?

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB SATA (Rapid Mode Enabled) - cost me 80€

P8Z68-V PRO GEN3

Intel i7 2600k 4.4Ghz

2x8gb DDR3 Corsair CL9 PC3-10700 (667 Mhz)

Bootracer gave me:

Windows boot: 12 sec

Desktop: 22

+- 34.609 sec

Better than before with just my old HDD.. Changing it was like day and night :D

boot1.jpg

2 hours ago, JAPONE said:

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB SATA (Rapid Mode Enabled) - cost me 80€

P8Z68-V PRO GEN3

Intel i7 2600k 4.4Ghz

2x8gb DDR3 Corsair CL9 PC3-10700 (667 Mhz)

Bootracer gave me:

Windows boot: 12 sec

Desktop: 22

+- 34.609 sec

Better than before with just my old HDD.. Changing it was like day and night :D

boot1.jpg

thanks for the feedback but that would be better if you could do the boot time test without using BootRacer, as i said in my previous post, i noticed that it not reliable tool as it gives random times at each reboot.

so if could do again the test with a stopwatch in your hand, that would be nice.

So you shut down the machine and you start the timer from the moment when you push on power button and you stop the timer when the desktop appears with wifi or ethernet taskbar icon loaded with all the programs and you give me the timer result.

then again you do a second test, this time you are going to start the timer from windows session, you start the timer when you click on restart button then you stop the timer when you see again desktop appear with wifi or ethernet taskbar icon loaded with all the programs and you give me the timer result.

Before doing both of these tests, you are going to disable all the programs which start with win10.

I see that you have a lot of programs which start with windows which normally can have a negatif effect on boot time.

So as i said, you are going to disable all the programs which start with win10 in task manager except your antivirus and bluetooh (if your machine has one) , you should gain few seconds at startup doing that.

And after doing that, you do both tests i mentionned.

So... I did the 3 tests

1) Start with all the programs enabled (boot_1.jpg)

2) Start with all programs disabled (boot_2.jpg)

3) Reboot with all programs disabled (boot_3.jpg)

For some reason (which is fine by me) my bios logo shows 2 times and it takes 10sec to show just the first time

boot_1.jpg

boot_2.jpg

boot_3.jpg

On 3/4/2019 at 4:30 PM, mehdibleu said:

What is the exact model of your machine ?

2011 with 500 GB HDD

boot.PNG

Advanced Malware Protection = Zemana Antilogger

• 11 months later...
On 3/2/2019 at 5:30 PM, Kalju said:

I cannot understand the meaning of this question.
The speed of all SSD discs/drives is equal to the rate of change of crystal energy levels and it can never be lower or higher of the speed of energy in used environment (ie in given crystal).
If you talk about some other speed then it would be nice to say that your technical solution does not allow for better speed.
Any energy moves in the same environment at the same rate.

Nowadays, the speed of running an SSD disk does not set any restrictions to Your system. All comes other comes from an external technical solutions, ie your computer is always much slower than the SSD disk you use.

That's pretty much what you need to know about the SSD's and BootTimes .. and whatever..

and yet the Topic-Owner dismisses it, because we must have this meaningless Contest ! RIGHT!

The irony though, ...
if you'd look at some of them screenshots .. LOL!
but then again, that's what a contest is about, right ? Ego.

I mean, you are not even interpreting the reports correctly.
The SEQ RW is just not important when it comes to measuring the SSD's

"But It's the FASTEST !! " If you only care about your e-penis, then Yes it matters.

However, If your goal would've been 'adding' to the Community - like creating a foundation
with knowledge from where User's could learn to interpret Bootlogs and why some Drivers and Services
are useful and some are not ...

The Goal is BALANCE - not SPEED

In Terms Everyone undersands:
- Samsung 970 EVO NVMe

- ASUS ROG HERO XI

Everything else shouldn't matter for THIS Contest ..

The only values you should look at in your Benchmark

Spoiler

------------------------------
4K-64Thrd:
Read: 1402.87 MB/s
Write: 1826.57 MB/s
Access Times:
Read: 0.108 ms
Write: 0.026 ms

These two matter .. the first because - in the Media-Age - 4K Threads need the most Resources
.. you could call them "dense" if it helps.

.. and Access Times?  It's the first i'm looking for because it tells me everything that matters..

If your Goal is -> BALANCE

The goal is to keep them where they are - Then -> Fluctuations will tell You that something isn't

Right ..

Bluntly put -  in theory - if my BootTime was X seconds right now

and i would need to cut X down ?
I would patch the Kernel PG_OFF - run a Boot-Time Diagnostic

look at the Drivers/Services (Load) and find those that take too long to initialize

Running the Systen at bare-minimum to archive a low Boot-Time?

Why would You encourage Others to do so ?

A good/healthy System is always a Compromise..

.. but then again, some People need to get screwed-with

before they start to like -- BALANCE

Archived