Jump to content
mehdibleu

What is the speed of your SSD ?

Recommended Posts

mehdibleu
Posted (edited)

Hello everyone,

 

I propose to open this topic to test the speed of the SSD and compare the result with all the members having a SSD to have a global idea of the speed of each SSD.

 

This should help members who are still hesitant to get some information to make the right choice.

 

So I bought a Micron 1TB SSD about 2 months ago and after testing it for several hours, I was not disappointed with the end result.

 

Here's the SSD i bought :

 

rzjw22.jpg.31463c99e84621fc759b093d1b298156.jpg

 

I had created a disk image of my win7 before with the tool integrated by default, and then I was able to restore the disk image successfully on my new SSD. It took about 30 minutes for the restoration to end.

 

As I said after having tested it, I must say that I am delighted with my purchase. The machine is now very fast, every task I perform on the machine runs very fast, in either on the applications installed on the machine (they now open in 2.3 seconds when they took 15 seconds previously to open on the old hard disk), or programs like office 2016 (the files open also very quickly), or the startup which is done in 13 seconds with a lot of applications installed.

 

I measured this time between the moment when i push on the power button and the moment when the desktop appears.

 

If i include the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded, i reach 20 seconds.

If i do the test from windows session, i reach 28 seconds (this time is measured from the moment when you click on restart button and the moment when you see again the desktop appear including the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded.

 

So to test the speed of SSD, I use a tool called "CrystalDiskMark", it is effective and it allows to know the performance of a hard drive.

 

As you know there are several types of SSDs, there are the classic SSDs which are the most common in the market, the ones with serial ata 2.5" and they are 99% compatible with the machines on which they are installed and there are SSDs M.2 sata interface and SSD M.2 with NVMe with PCIe interface, they are very efficient and can only be installed if the machine has an M.2 port.

 

These SSDs (NVM2 with PCI Express interface) are very effective and can reach such high speed only if they are compatible with the hardware on which they are connected to. To be clear, the M.2 port has to be compatible with the SSD if you want to exploit its real potential.

 

So we can say that he read / write speed depends on the type of SSD that you have. That's why you need to specify the SSD model with its capacity.

 

The real speed can not be accurately measured, but it gives an overall idea of SSD read / write speed and can help users to make a choice when buying an SSD.

 

So here is the result I get when I test my SSD with CrystaldiskMark :

 

test.PNG.f35df731a91d6707180bd7ad7fd732f7.PNG

 

Here's where to get the tool => here

 

Please tell your SSD model, its type and capacity , the os used, and please mention also your hardware configuration (motherboard, cpu, ram...)

 

Now it's your turn, i'm waiting for your feedback :)

 

Edited by mehdibleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kalju
Posted (edited)

I cannot understand the meaning of this question.
The speed of all SSD discs/drives is equal to the rate of change of crystal energy levels and it can never be lower or higher of the speed of energy in used environment (ie in given crystal).
If you talk about some other speed then it would be nice to say that your technical solution does not allow for better speed.
Any energy moves in the same environment at the same rate.

 

Nowadays, the speed of running an SSD disk does not set any restrictions to Your system. All comes other comes from an external technical solutions, ie your computer is always much slower than the SSD disk you use.

Edited by Kalju

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Kalju said:

I cannot understand the meaning of this question.
The speed of all SSD discs/drives is equal to the rate of change of crystal energy levels and it can never be lower or higher of the speed of energy in used environment (ie in given crystal).
If you talk about some other speed then it would be nice to say that your technical solution does not allow for better speed.
Any energy moves in the same environment at the same rate.

 

Nowadays, the speed of running an SSD disk does not set any restrictions to Your system. All comes other comes from an external technical solutions, ie your computer is always much slower than the SSD disk you use.

 

Did you take the time to read the content of this topic, i don't think so.

So please, the least you can do is to read carefully all the content before posting any comment.

Edited by mehdibleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
C.G.B. Spender

the pic is samsung 960 evo m2 nvme

 

side note:kalju's got a point though, within a group of ssds (ie all sata, all m2 sata, all m2 nvme) you'll get mostly same results +- few % unless you're using horribly outdated hw/os/drivers - i have around 5 3,5" ssd's and they all give pretty much the same benchmark as you posted.

2019-03-02_203154.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moopster

I've been using this program for some time, here's some samples.

 

Samsung 970 Evo Plus

1666734862_crystaldiskmark970evoplus.thumb.PNG.cc4d41b27d887c74a576ab353722654a.PNG

 

Samsung 970 Evo

1968344945_crystaldiskmark970evo.thumb.PNG.d997a747738a2e2cc9afe39b390c5189.PNG

 

Samsung 960 Pro

1011150925_960pro64queue.PNG.a4ae81973545c11deec96b0ecf26d4c4.PNG

 

 

Samsung 960 Pro

978808790_crystaldiskmark960pro.thumb.PNG.a949e4e357b223581b145e33eb2ee72c.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

the pic is samsung 960 evo m2 nvme

 

side note:kalju's got a point though, within a group of ssds (ie all sata, all m2 sata, all m2 nvme) you'll get mostly same results +- few % unless you're using horribly outdated hw/os/drivers - i have around 5 3,5" ssd's and they all give pretty much the same benchmark as you posted.

2019-03-02_203154.png

 

thanks for the feedback.

can you tell me how much you paid to get this SSD ?

 

et can you time your boot time and restart time ? and which os you use with the SSD ?

 

You measure the time between the moment when you push the power button and the moment when the desktop appears but you include the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded. I'm curious to compare your timing with mine.  and you tell me the result test.

 

to be clear, you stop the timer when the wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear in desktop.

and you do a second timer if you don't mind, from windows session, you measure the time between the moment when you click on restart button and the moment when you see again the desktop appear (including the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded as you did for the first test)  and you give me the second result test.

Edited by mehdibleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, moopster said:

I've been using this program for some time, here's some samples.

 

Samsung 970 Evo Plus

1666734862_crystaldiskmark970evoplus.thumb.PNG.cc4d41b27d887c74a576ab353722654a.PNG

 

Samsung 970 Evo

1968344945_crystaldiskmark970evo.thumb.PNG.d997a747738a2e2cc9afe39b390c5189.PNG

 

Samsung 960 Pro

1011150925_960pro64queue.PNG.a4ae81973545c11deec96b0ecf26d4c4.PNG

 

 

Samsung 960 Pro

978808790_crystaldiskmark960pro.thumb.PNG.a949e4e357b223581b145e33eb2ee72c.PNG

 

thanks for the feedback.

can you tell me how much you paid to get these SSD ?

 

et can you time your boot time and restart time with the 970 Evo Plus ?  which os you use with this SSD ?

 

You measure the time between the moment when you push the power button and the moment when the desktop appears but you include the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded. I'm curious to compare your timing with mine.  and you tell me the result test.

 

to be clear, you stop the timer when the wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear in desktop.

and you do a second timer if you don't mind, from windows session, you measure the time between the moment when you click on restart button and the moment when you see again the desktop appear (including the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded as you did for the first test)  and you give me the second result test.

Edited by mehdibleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
C.G.B. Spender
1 minute ago, mehdibleu said:

 

thanks for the feedback.

can you tell me how much you paid to get this SSD ?

 

et can you time your boot time and restart time ?

 

You measure the time between the moment when you push the power button and the moment when the desktop appears but you include the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded. I'm curious to compare your timing with mine.  and you tell me the result test.

and you do a second timer if you don't mind, from windows session, you measure the time between the moment when you click on restart button and the moment when you see again the desktop appear (including the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded as you did for the first test)  and you give me the second result test.

 

I'm in desktop fully loaded within 20-25 seconds i guess usually

The drive cost me 119£ iirc.

 

I'm atm encoding some videos so can't reboot, but any other measurements you suggested wold provide only superficial information, my hw is different from yours, my startup programs and amount of them is different from yours. Such measurements would only make sense if the computers were identical and only difference being the harddrive imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, C.G.B. Spender said:

 

I'm in desktop fully loaded within 20-25 seconds i guess usually

The drive cost me 119£ iirc.

 

I'm atm encoding some videos so can't reboot, but any other measurements you suggested wold provide only superficial information, my hw is different from yours, my startup programs and amount of them is different from yours. Such measurements would only make sense if the computers were identical and only difference being the harddrive imho.

 

No problem mate, you will do the test after the encoding is finished.

 

yes i know that the speed of the SSD can vary from machines which do not have the same hardware, i mentionned that in my first post but there is still interesting to know the boot time of the SSD on each configuration to be able to compare them all together and see what is the hardware that allows to the SSD to boot very quickly.

 

20-25 seconds is not very fast as boot time , your SSD seemsto be a gen 3*4 so it is supposed to boot your machine much faster than that BUT as i said in my first post you can reach high speed ONLY IF it is compatible with your motherboard so this makes me think that both SSD and motherboard of yours are not compatible with each other.

 

is your machine desktop or laptop ?

Edited by mehdibleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moopster

The testing system is a Dell XPS13 9370 notebook; it uses a UEFI bios which makes it difficult to determine when, in the boot sequence, Windows starts to load, so timing is uncertain. There are several processes which start when Windows boots and that further complicates getting accurate boot times..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
1 hour ago, moopster said:

The testing system is a Dell XPS13 9370 notebook; it uses a UEFI bios which makes it difficult to determine when, in the boot sequence, Windows starts to load, so timing is uncertain. There are several processes which start when Windows boots and that further complicates getting accurate boot times..

 

it doesn't matter, just do the boot time test.

it's very simple, you start the timer from the moment when you push on power button and you stop the timer when the desktop appears with wifi or ethernet taskbar icon loaded with all the programs and you give me the timer result.

 

then you do a second test, this time you are going to start the timer from windows session, you start the timer when you click on restart button then you stop the timer when you see again desktop appear with wifi or ethernet taskbar icon loaded with all the programs and you give me the timer result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOQUILLO

Hi @mehdibleuI have read the comments and you are the one who does not want to understand what several people have already told you, you can never find an identical boot time because the hardware of each of us is completely different, therefore it does not make sense to do that test because there will always be different values, the boot can take more time when you have more programs installed and how many of them start automatically, all these variables make the difference, so that a test is more real then each desktop or laptop should have installed only the Windows and without any other additional program, then there you can have different and more realistic boot times in relation to the hardware that each computer has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Radpop
13 hours ago, Kalju said:

I cannot understand the meaning of this question.

 

Yes, I understand your point,  most information in this universe is trivial, except for aliens.

 

One of my dreams is SSD. 🤩

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
6 hours ago, LOQUILLO said:

Hi @mehdibleuI have read the comments and you are the one who does not want to understand what several people have already told you, you can never find an identical boot time because the hardware of each of us is completely different, therefore it does not make sense to do that test because there will always be different values, the boot can take more time when you have more programs installed and how many of them start automatically, all these variables make the difference, so that a test is more real then each desktop or laptop should have installed only the Windows and without any other additional program, then there you can have different and more realistic boot times in relation to the hardware that each computer has.

 

HI,

yes i know that, i know that the speed of the SSD can vary from machines which do not have the same hardware, i mentionned that in my first post but there is still interesting to know the boot time of the SSD on each configuration to be able to compare them all together and see what is the hardware that allows to the SSD to boot very quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbleck
Posted (edited)

SfUUML6.png

 

  • Device: Desktop
  • Disk drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro x64
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 CPU (1 Phisycal - 4 Cores - 8 Logical @ 3.6 GHz)
  • RAM: 8 GB (DDR4 @ 2.4 GHz)
  • (this one might be off topic) Internet speed: 1 MB/s down & 0.1 MB/s up @ around 30 € / month by Vodafone atm (this choice changes frequently... 2-3 times / year)... disappointed by this one (previously i've had 10 MB/s down & 1 MB/s up by Tim @ around 80 € month... f*** that price... they are all using the same line which is controlled by Tim)

 

Bottom line: Still F** Loading... :(

Edited by jbleck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LOQUILLO

Hi @mehdibleu, look at @jbleck comment, this is how other people should respond to your post
👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, jbleck said:

SfUUML6.png

 

  • Device: Desktop
  • Disk drive: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro x64
  • Processor: Intel Core i7-7700 CPU (1 Phisycal - 4 Cores - 8 Logical @ 3.6 GHz)
  • RAM: 8 GB (DDR4 @ 2.4 GHz)
  • (this one might be off topic) Internet speed: 1 MB/s down & 0.1 MB/s up @ around 30 € / month by Vodafone atm (this choice changes frequently... 2-3 times / year)... disappointed by this one (previously i've had 10 MB/s down & 1 MB/s up by Tim @ around 80 € month... f*** that price... they are all using the same line which is controlled by Tim)

 

Bottom line: Still F** Loading... :(

 

ok you forgot to mention the model of your motherboard.

 

Your SSD seems to be m.2 sata model not compatible with NVMe so the maximum speed you can get with this SSD is 520 MB/s but that's not what your screen says so this lets me think that the rapid mode is enabled in your SSD, could you please check to see if it's the case. You can check whether rapid mode is enabled or not through "Samsung Magician"

 

i'm curious to know how fast your SSD boots with your configuration, so please do a boot time test and give me the result :

 

you shut down the machine and you start the timer from the moment when you push on power button and you stop the timer when the desktop appears with wifi or ethernet taskbar icon loaded with all the programs and you give me the timer result.

 

then you do a second test, this time you are going to start the timer from windows session, you start the timer when you click on restart button then you stop the timer when you see again desktop appear with wifi or ethernet taskbar icon loaded with all the programs and you give me the timer result.

 

Edited by mehdibleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbleck

it is SATA.

rapid mode, MOBO and boot time are mentioned in the pic (Startup tab in Task Manager -> Rapid mode enabled, dxdiag -> ASUS K31CDK MOBO, TAsk Manager -> Last BIOS Time 16.2 s).

 

about the timers u're speaking... i have multiple OSes from which to chose to boot from on this machine and this might delay the test.

also... i have PIN/pasword on every OS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, jbleck said:

it is SATA.

rapid mode, MOBO and boot time are mentioned in the pic (Startup tab in Task Manager -> Rapid mode enabled, dxdiag -> ASUS K31CDK MOBO, TAsk Manager -> Last BIOS Time 16.2 s).

 

about the timers u're speaking... i have multiple OSes from which to chose to boot from on this machine and this might delay the test.

also... i have PIN/pasword on every OS.

 

ok sorry i didn't pay attention to the task manager, indeed the rapid mode is enabled as i inferred previously so this makes a false test speed result, the rapide mode should be disabled when doing the test.

 

Regarding the model of your motherboard, it is not mentioned in the screen, ASUS K31CDK is the model of your machine. If you want to know the model of your motherboard, use "cpu-z", you run the tool then you go in "Mainboard" tab and you will see the model appear. Please do a screen.

 

Regarding the timer tesults i asked you to do, it doesn't matter if you have multi boot os, you can do the test including the multi boot.

So you shut down the machine and you start the timer from the moment when you push on power button, you click very quickly on the right os to boot (win7 or win10), when the login screen appears, you enter very quickly your pwd and you stop the timer when the desktop appears with wifi or ethernet taskbar icon loaded with all the programs and you give me the timer result.

 

then again you do a second test, this time you are going to start the timer from windows session, you start the timer when you click on restart button then you stop the timer when you see again desktop appear with wifi or ethernet taskbar icon loaded with all the programs and you give me the timer result.

 

Edited by mehdibleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jbleck
Posted (edited)

Rapid mode disabled (no tricks :P😞MLKgSME.png

 

(first boot time was from a shutdown, 2nd was a restart)

 

regarding the separate timer... sign me up as half an hour

Edited by jbleck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
masterupc

Depending the enviroment and how angry I am, it can achieve about 150 km/h...
xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, jbleck said:

Rapid mode disabled (no tricks :P😞MLKgSME.png

 

(first boot time was from a shutdown, 2nd was a restart)

 

regarding the separate timer... sign me up as half an hour

 

Alright, now you have the R/W speed that your SSD can really reach but you haven't send me your timer results yet.

 

when i said timer results, i mean the time that it took to your machine to boot.

 

here's my different timers results :

 

Quote

when i measure the ime between the moment when i push on power button and the moment when the desktop appears, i get 13 seconds.

 

I measured this time between the moment when i push on the power button and the moment when the desktop appears.

 

when the pc is shut down, i start the timer when i push on power button and i stop the timer when the desktop appears  including the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded, i reach 20 seconds.

 

If i do the test from windows session, i reach 28 seconds (this time is measured from the moment when you click on restart button and the moment when you see again the desktop appear including the time when wifi or ethernet taskbar icon appear and are completely loaded.

 

So now give me your results.

 

Edited by mehdibleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moopster

1:23 to start from system off, including 14 seconds in BIOS. For Restart, 1:39, including 16 seconds in BIOS. Restart is slower because re-scans all the devices and reloads all the drivers; when the system is Shutdown first, by default Windows does a quick start, only loading the drivers that were loaded when you shut down.

 

My startup programs take a long time to appear, especially HddLed and Bing Desktop add about 10 seconds each.

 

It takes only 30 seconds for the Sign-in screen to appear, which means 16 seconds for Windows to boot after the 14-second BIOS delay. 

 

Restart:

1459217997_restarttime1_39.thumb.PNG.395bd15d10b8b0854d71b3438819f99e.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mehdibleu
1 hour ago, moopster said:

1:23 to start from system off, including 14 seconds in BIOS. For Restart, 1:39, including 16 seconds in BIOS. Restart is slower because re-scans all the devices and reloads all the drivers; when the system is Shutdown first, by default Windows does a quick start, only loading the drivers that were loaded when you shut down.

 

My startup programs take a long time to appear, especially HddLed and Bing Desktop add about 10 seconds each.

 

It takes only 30 seconds for the Sign-in screen to appear, which means 16 seconds for Windows to boot after the 14-second BIOS delay. 

 

Restart:

1459217997_restarttime1_39.thumb.PNG.395bd15d10b8b0854d71b3438819f99e.PNG

 

Thanks for the feedback.

So 1 min 23 sec is absolutely not normal as boot time for an ssd. So something is clearly slowing down your boot time.

 

This boot time is the one that we can expect when booting from an HDD but NOT from ssd.

 

Are you sure that you are booting from ssd ?

 

When you say "Sign in screen", you mean that you enter your pwd at login screen ?

 

I see that you have a lot of programs which start with windows which normally can have a negatif effect on boot time with an HDD but not much with ssd.

So you are going to disable all the programs which start with win10 in task manager except your antivirus and bluetooh (if your machine has one) then you will see if it allows to get a faster boot time.

 

When doing that, you do again a boot time test the same way you did in your first test and you give me the new timer result.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...