Windows Context Menu Editing Via Registry

UpGrade

Hi Guys,

I wonder if anybody can advise me.

I am trying to COMPLETELY edit the Windows context menu, i have used all tools i could find:

Easy Context Menu

ContextEdit

FileMenu Tools

Right Click Enhancer Professional

Right-Click Extender

SendTo Menu Editor

ShellExView

ShellMenuView

Context Menu Editor

MenuMaid

Registry Key Jumper

Right Click Context Menu Adder

My problem is i want o arrange the position of each item on the context menu and create subfolders that expand into selections of my choice. Easy Context Menu &  FileMenu Tools do this to a degree however you cannot change anything outside of thier own sub menus.

Is there any way i can do this? There has to be i refuse beleive that this is impossible i dont undertand why this software has not been created yet lol i can usually find a tool for eveything

• Replies 10
  • Views 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true, You can't change principally (mostly) nothing what there already is. You can only hide some and add if You know how.
Why You can't change or remove mostly anything what there is?
It's because Microsoft and other known software producers put usually all shortcuts to right-click menu into the .dll files and You can't make there any changes.
True, one method is, if there is used .NET based .dll files, but usually isn't.
So, You can add through registry some Your own shortcuts or menus, but cannot change what there already by default exist.

Thanks for the explanation, im still shocked there is no way round this lol always been able to customise most things! do you know why if i look in the registry after using for example a software like filemenutools keys show as {2323-23231234-21312-321} with no readable text yet they appear on the context menu. How can i replicate a key like that ?

These determine the .dll or .exe files that are associated with that registry, all the other things being in those files and You can't changege these files content. If something is available on some programs settings, then You can disable or enable that contect menu or one or more submenus. For example see GlaryUtilities settings, Advanced System Care, Ashampoo WinOptimizer settings etc. There is possible make some changes, You can disable right-click menu at all or make Your selections.
But if You remove some Windows default settings, You may get blue or green screen.

Try it if you don't believe....

No no i trust you, is the context menu by default organised alphabetically ? I dont mind leaving the default options but i want to add quite a few and i want to create sub folders for certain items but i would like to organise them in order of importance however i cannot see any method to do this when i look at the menu it doesn't all look alphabetical apart from the bottom section.

i just want to move the position of some items i add extra but i cannot figure out how to select position. For example:

I have program 1 and program 2

at the moment it displays as

program 1

program 2

i want 

program 2

program 1

how can i achieve this?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/shell/how-to--create-cascading-menus-with-the-subcommands-registry-entry
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/shell/how-to-create-cascading-menus-with-the-extendedsubcommandskey-registry-entry

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shell\Item]
"MUIVerb"="Name"
"SubCommands"="Prog1;Prog2"
"MultiSelectModel"="player"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Prog1]
"MUIVerb"="Program Name"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Prog1\command]
@="path \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Prog2]
"MUIVerb"="Program Name"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Prog2\command]
@="path \"%1\""

Example for link 1.

Works great thanks again!

I also found that this is the context menu if you click an item

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shell\Item]

You can change it to desktop by deleting the text "item" like so:

to

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\*\shell]

and if you add:

"Position"="Top"

Underneath you can change the position of the item too top, middle, or bottom!

;|; is how you get a Line between items, if you need that. Ie Prog1;Prog2;|;Prog3
There is also 
"SeparatorAfter"=""
"SeparatorBefore"="

MuiVerb = Prog &Name will Underline the N for KB useage via the & before the letter.

4 hours ago, Sponpa said:

;|; is how you get a Line between items, if you need that. Ie Prog1;Prog2;|;Prog3
There is also 
"SeparatorAfter"=""
"SeparatorBefore"="

MuiVerb = Prog &Name will Underline the N for KB useage via the & before the letter.

that's great im going to definitely use that. Thanks!

You know how to make an item visible for everything, eg, desktop, file or folder, drive ?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Folder\shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\background\shell
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\*\shell

All users.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\ for current user.

Archived