Netflix may be losing $192M per month from piracy, cord cutting study claims

steven36

Netflix may be losing $192M per month from piracy, cord cutting study claims

f 4 cd

As many as 1 in 5 people today are mooching off of someone else’s account when streaming video from Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Video, according to a new study from CordCutting.com. Of these, Netflix tends to be pirated for the longest period — 26 months, compared with 16 months for Amazon Prime Video or 11 months for Hulu. That could be because Netflix freeloaders often mooch off their family instead of a friend — 48 percent use their parents’ login, while another 14 percent use their sister or brother’s credentials, the firm found.

At a base price of $7.99 per month (the study was performed before Netflix’s January 2019 price increase), freeloading users could save $207.74 over a 26-month period. At scale, these losses can add up, the study claims.

The report estimates Netflix could be losing $192 million in monthly revenue from piracy — more than either Amazon or Hulu, at $45 million per month and $40 million per month, respectively.

Millennials, not surprisingly, account for much of the freeloading. They’re the largest demographic pirating Netflix (18 percent) and Hulu’s service (20 percent). But oddly, it was Baby Boomers who were more likely to borrow someone else’s account to access Amazon Prime Video.

5 b 38

f 019

There’s an argument that those who pirate would never be paying customers, so these aren’t true losses. It’s the same sort of thing that was said about Napster mp3 downloads back in the day, or about those pirating movies through The Pirate Bay. But there is some portion of the freeloading population that claims they would pay, if they lost access.

According to the study, 59.3 percent said they would pay for Netflix (or around 14 million people), contributing at least $112 million in monthly revenue, if they lost access. And 37.8 percent, or 2 million, said they’d pay for Hulu; 27.6 percent, or 1 million people, said they’d pay for Prime Video.

Of course, there can be discrepancies between what consumers say they will do versus what they actually end up doing. So such claims that “I’d definitely pay,” have to be taken with the proverbial grain of salt.

It’s worth noting, too, this study calculated figures by looking at Netflix’s single-screen-at-a-time account — in theory, the one meant to be used by a single individual and not shared as a family plan, in order to keep the estimates conservative. The consumer survey defined mooching by asking users if they use a service they don’t pay for, then asked what they would or would not pay for themselves, if that access fell through.

Hulu, at least, has more recently tried to make its service more appealing to penny-pinchers. At its new price — $5.99 per month, rolled out this week — it’s making it harder to justify freeloading.

Netflix, on the other hand, seems to know its value, and raised prices this year so its base plan is a dollar more at $8.99 per month, and its most popular plan has climbed to $12.99 per month.

The full study offers other details on cord-cutting trends, including breakdowns by gender and details on who accounts are mooched from, among other things.

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you cant call it loose at those prices 😂

15 euros/month in europe, what they expected?

Kids mooching off parents?  Presumably they mean grown children not living at home.(?)  My 8 year old watches his movies and I pay the bill.  If they included that as mooching, then the numbers have no meaning.  Now, as to my 20+ at college, well...

5 hours ago, davmil said:

Kids mooching off parents?  Presumably they mean grown children not living at home.(?)  My 8 year old watches his movies and I pay the bill.  If they included that as mooching, then the numbers have no meaning.  Now, as to my 20+ at college, well...

Can't you read? This not a study that was done with kids,  go to source's  source before making  such comments  and just making  stuff up off the top of your head not trying to be a butt or noting but I'm a realest. i try to only deal in facts . Opinions mean nothing to me unless they can be backed up with proof , truths  and facts.

On 2/28/2019 at 9:32 AM, steven36 said:

The full study offers other details on cord-cutting trends, including breakdowns by gender and details on who accounts are mooched from, among other things.

Methodology

For this project, we surveyed 1,127 people using Amazon's Mechanical Turk. 50.9 percent of our participants were men, and 49.1 percent were women. Participants ranged in age from 18 to 81 with a mean of 37 and a standard deviation of 11.9. Respondents were disqualified from the survey if they didn't use a video streaming service. However, respondents who were disqualified had their responses used in the first graphic we presented.

We defined mooching as anyone who used a streaming service but did not pay for it. We went to each streaming service website and found their base streaming package price. These prices were the bare minimum price a person could pay to use the streaming service. We used those base prices and the reported total number of subscriptions to make estimations. Since we only used base streaming package prices, our estimations are labeled as "at least." This means that the estimations we calculated were the minimum amounts possible because people can pay more for each streaming service if they chose a package that was more expensive than the base.

To find the estimated number of users who didn't pay for a service, we divided the reported number of subscribers from each service by the percentage of people who pay for the service they watch. We then found the difference between the number of total subscribers and the number of total users. Netflix had a reported 137 million subscribers, and our survey found 85 percent of people who use Netflix pay for it. This gave us an estimated 161 million total users. Amazon Prime Video had a reported 26 million subscribers, and our survey found 83.5 percent of people who use Amazon Prime Video pay for it. This gave us an estimated 131 million total users. Hulu had a reported 20 million subscribers, and our survey found 80.8 percent of people who use Hulu pay for it. This gave us an estimated 25 million total users.

Fair Use Statement

Binging on our study results? No need to mooch –feel free to share them (for any noncommercial use) with your readers with a link back to this page as a credit to our contributors.

Baby Boom Generation people  were  born worldwide between 1946 and 1964 and were more likely to mooch Amazon prime . Millennials, also known as Generation Y apply to individuals who reached adulthood around the turn of the 21st century, were more likely  to mooch Netflix . I'm a Generation Xer ,we are more likely to just download and stream from pirate sites and not even bother with these services . We  were the ones using Napster and others when they was still around. 🤣

8 minutes ago, nsanesoft said:

Hello EV1

Please tell me how to watch Netflix with 1$/month

Maybe he pays someone $1 to be on there family plain , over on reddit i read about people doing it  with other services like Spotify.  Many  software pirates we shared our legit  keys with our friends  , i use to do it  a lot tell i got heavy into linux , now most of my software is free and open source  i have not much need for closed source stuff that cost money, so  i mostly only buy services  like vpn and stuff to make it more easy for me to stream and download from the cloud

Archived