Flash Linksys WRT1900 ACS router

vitorio

I am planning to install DD-WRT software in a Linksys WRT1900ACS router. I have been reading the instructions for the past several days and I think I am ready to begin the installation.

i know that I need to be careful since I can brick the router.

According to the instructions I belief I can do it myself.

My question 

:

Have someone have done this installation before and how have been your experience.

I wish to know since the instructions emphasized the possibility of brick the router.

Some tips from someone that did it before should help me in this project.

Thanks for your help.

• Replies 6
  • Views 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Connect the router to a UPS to prevent bricking  due to power interruption..

Make sure firmware matches hardware sub version...

Across same model, there are usually different sub models which vary, and get the proper rom from the proper country source..

Never substitute..

Follow instructions to the letter... 

e.g.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT1900AC

Go to DDWRT forums search for feedback of specific rom releases .. if someone botched up their router with a bad flash , it would be best to look for feedback..

After yo've done your homework, ...   Say a little prayer (hoping nothing goes wrong), and do it

Just now, teodz1984 said:

That specifically is the instructions  that I am planning to follow. My only fear is that there is a possibility of brick the router. Also I read somewhere to do a backup before proceed, but need to look for the details at this moment.

MUST READ FOR OP

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813

To reset and boot to stock if you brick DD-WRT installation 
1. Assuming the router is on, turn it off. 
2. Turn it back on... the power light will illuminate and then go out briefly as it prepares to boot. As soon as it goes out, turn it off again. Repeat this step three times, leaving the router on after the third time you turn it off. 
3. Let it boot. It should return to stock after you let it boot. 

I HAVE FLASHED MOST MY ROUTERS WITH SOME LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE.. SO NO NEED TO WORRY

20 minutes ago, teodz1984 said:

MUST READ FOR OP

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813

To reset and boot to stock if you brick DD-WRT installation 
1. Assuming the router is on, turn it off. 
2. Turn it back on... the power light will illuminate and then go out briefly as it prepares to boot. As soon as it goes out, turn it off again. Repeat this step three times, leaving the router on after the third time you turn it off. 
3. Let it boot. It should return to stock after you let it boot. 

I HAVE FLASHED MOST MY ROUTERS WITH SOME LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE.. SO NO NEED TO WORRY

Great motivation words and also I am more confident to do it myself knowing that I can reset and boot it to stock if have any issues.

Really appreciate your help, links and for sharing your experience.

Archived