[Solved] SSD does not boot with windows 10 at startup

mehdibleu

Hello,

i have a machine which refuses to boot from the SSD with win10.

i get constantly a blue screen at startup :

Spoiler

g8bf.jpg

i don't know how this problem occured, win10 was booting fine from the SSD and i remember after having disconnected then connected again the SSD, the error message suddenly appeared.

i tried a lot of different solution to solve the issue, unfortunately all of them didn't solve this issue.

i firsr ensured that the SSD is in good health then ensnured that SSD is in first in boot order in the bios but still the error message at startup.

if you have any other ideas to help me sove this issue, please be my guest.

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blue Screen errors occurs when a serious problem causes Windows 10 to shut down or restart unexpectedly. There are multiple reasons why this type of errors occurs on the computer. They usually happen when there are some driver issues in the computer. However, it might also be due to some other software/hardware reasons.

In this case, the error code: 0xc0000001 indicates that there might be some issues with the booting device or some booting files are corrupted. It might also happen if some problem happens with the boot sector of the computer.

Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?

Please follow the methods mentioned below:

Method 1:

I would suggest you to un-plug all external devices, except the keyboard and mouse, then try to boot the computer.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try performing Startup Repair using Windows 10 installation media from Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) and check.

To perform Startup repair on your computer, follow these steps:

a. Insert the media such as (USB or DVD) and restart your computer.

b. Press F12 key (typically this is F12, but it can differ between computer manufacturers) and choose the drive that you inserted the installation media into.

c. Once the Windows Setup window appears, follow these steps:

d. Click next and select Repair your computer.

e. You will then see a blue screen and an option to choose. Choose the option Troubleshoot and selectadvanced options.

f. You may choose StartupRepair from Advanced boot option.

g. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the Startup Repair.

Method 3: If automatic repair fails, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advanced Options. Follow the steps:

a. After you boot your computer using Windows 10 installation media, a black screen appears with gray text

Press any key to boot from CD or DVD. Press any key.
b) Select the correct time and Keyboard type. 
c) Click Repair your computer in the lower left corner.
d) Select Troubleshoot from Choose an option screen.
e) Click Advanced options in Troubleshoot screen.

f) Click on command Prompt.

g) Type these following commands and hit enter after each line of command:

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /scanos

Bootrec /rebuildbcd

Restart the computer and check the issue.

@teodz1984

the 2 first solutions didn't work.

regarding the 3rd solution, i have GPT disk , win10 was installed on UEFI so logically the first command line will not work for me. ( Bootrec /fixmbr )

@mehdibleu You said it worked all the time and you didn't change anything and then suddenly it didn't work anymore.
Have you checked if your SSD is working properly? Maybe it's dead, maybe some connectons is bad, there is many things, what may cause this problem.
Maybe you're looking for a solution to the problem from the wrong place. Maybe start from disk checking, if it is OK, then go on.

And the second, You can also try to boot from some bootable media, then You can see, if the computer boots as should. Then You will know much more where to look for the problem. 
Currently You don't know nearly nothing, but You trying to repair, but what you repair, if even don't know what needs to repair.

5 minutes ago, Kalju said:

@mehdibleu You said it worked all the time and you didn't change anything and then suddenly it didn't work anymore.
Have you checked if your SSD is working properly? Maybe it's dead, maybe some connectons is bad, there is many things, what may cause this problem.
Maybe you're looking for a solution to the problem from the wrong place. Maybe start from disk checking, if it is OK, then go on.

yes i checked that, i already mentionned that in my first post.

6 hours ago, Jime234 said:

did you perform the startup repair ?

yes i did that but it didn't help, still the same blue screen at startup.

So, if Your computer boots from bootable media and the SSD is also OK then is only one way to fix Your problem.
Reset all BIOS settings to default, backup Your important data and make clean install of Windows. There is no other ways to repair. 
Of course, forgot - if You have full drive image, it may help, but I'm not sure.

PS. never change past posts, let them be exactly the same as they were in the beginning. Nobody always reads all posts every few minutes.

Hello,

Try delete all partitions that windows 10 created  them when you fresh installed the windows on SSD. This means to start again the setup wizard and to be sure that in BIOS is UEFI activated, when SSD partitions appear, delete them each by each, an then hit the button for creating again the partitions that windows 10 build, for UEFI/GPT installation wizard should  create 4 partitions, then choose partition for windows installation and start the fresh install. If the SSD Health is 90% to 100% then everything should be OK. I suspect than the data from one of the 4 partitions is corupted, so better start creating them again to avoid this problem.

Try changing CSM (compatibility support module) option in the bios from AUTO to ENABLED .

Regards

Any chance you use Macrium Reflect and have a Rescue Disk/USB?  If so, there is an option in the Rescue Environment, under Restore, click "Fix Boot Problems".

13 minutes ago, front360 said:

Any chance you use Macrium Reflect and have a Rescue Disk/USB?  If so, there is an option in the Rescue Environment, under Restore, click "Fix Boot Problems". 

▼

Here

2 hours ago, mehdibleu said:

the clean install in not an option for me right now, i will do it as a last resort.

36 minutes ago, The AchieVer said:

Try changing CSM (compatibility support module) option in the bios from AUTO to ENABLED .

Regards

If it is UEFI machine and You have GPT disk and You enable CSM, then it is quite certain that this machine will not start.

well i am not a expert still i want to try to help you

if ssd is ok and portable media winPE is working for you then  ram and power is ok i guess its a problem of corrupt boot sector files

MS topics also says this

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-update/unable-to-boot-error-code-0xc0000001-youll-need-to/520d5a3f-1fbb-4a9a-98d1-03a8201f00ed

As winPE is working for you then macrium winPE may be able to help you to fix windows boot problems

To fix Windows boot problems, start your computer with your macrium rescue media inserted.

fixboot-menu.png.8f13b09d2c628c585316dde7bcff5f50.png

it will repair/replace your boot sector files

command line to repair corrupt boo files

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/bcdboot-command-line-options-techref-di

bcdboot c:\Windows /s c: /l en-us

first read article after that try anything

don't mind my english is poor

what kind of SSD?

is it a NVMe or SATA?... if SATA, then u could try to switch the port on the motherboard (probably u put it in another one then it was)...

20 minutes ago, jbleck said:

what kind of SSD?

is it a NVMe or SATA?... if SATA, then u could try to switch the port on the motherboard (probably u put it in another one then it was)...

it's a classic sata SSD.

33 minutes ago, Kalju said:

If it is UEFI machine and You have GPT disk and You enable CSM, then it is quite certain that this machine will not start.

win10 was installed on mode "UEFI + legacy bios" on this machine.

1 hour ago, front360 said:

no i don't use Macrium Reflect and i don't have  any rescue disk USB.

4 minutes ago, mehdibleu said:

download macrium rescue disk from here

Credit @hawk007

Download (222 MB)
http://www.solidfiles.com
ShareCode: /v/MBmLX7jQrjaQ

topic link

https://www.nsaneforums.com/topic/316648-macrium-reflect-713317/?do=findComment&comment=1347781

7 minutes ago, mehdibleu said:

You can download that WinPE (link above in my post), and make a rescue disk, It has all tools in it, within a few minutes you will be ready to reboot your PC

1 hour ago, The AchieVer said:

Regards

i don't have CSM, i have bios mode "UEFI + Legacy bios", it's pretty similar.

27 minutes ago, mehdibleu said:

win10 was installed on mode "UEFI + legacy bios" on this machine.

You can use UEFI or  BIOS method, but not both. On some computers is possible to set in BIOS so, that both are possible and selection goes automatically, but always is used only one. If You have selected UEFI You can't boot in legasy mode and vice versa. 
So, You must first know, what is/was used.  I think that there is used UEFI, because if it isn't an acient computer, there is no reasons to use BIOS or Legacy method.

But after all, it is not at all important what there is/was used. If you try one method and do not start, another is in use. Turn on the other and it's done. 
There is no more chemistry needed.
PS this will never give You Blue screen, simply not start and thats all.

3 minutes ago, Kalju said:

You can use UEFI or  BIOS method, but not both. On some computers is possible to set in BIOS so, that both are possible and selection goes automatically, but always is used only one. If You have selected UEFI You can't boot in legasy mode and vice versa. 
So, You must first know, what is/was used.  I think that there is used UEFI, because if it isn't an acient computer, there is no reasons to use BIOS or Legacy method.

it's not true my friend, because i installed win7 on one of my machines on "UEFI + Legacy bios" because win7 cannot be installed on pure UEFI so i had no choice but to use mode "UEFI + Legacy bios" to be able to install win7 on second machine.

Archived