How to Enable and Disable Incognito Windows Counter in Google Chrome

The AchieVer

How to Enable and Disable Incognito Windows Counter in Google Chrome 

The Incognito mode in Google Chrome has become one of the most valuable assets of the browser, especially for users who want to navigate the web without leaving any traces behind.

The Incognito mode in Google Chrome has become one of the most valuable assets of the browser, especially for users who want to navigate the web without leaving any traces behind.

Most modern browsers available today come with such features, but with Google Chrome currently the number one choice on the desktop, it goes without saying that Google has no other option than to keep improving this option as often as possible.

And one of the features that Google is currently working on is an indicator revealing how many Incognito windows are actually active.

While this might not seem too impressive for some, I’ve seen users who only run Google Chrome in this Incognito mode, just to make sure no browsing data is stored. While this may be paranoia at some level, it’s becoming the way to go for more and more users, especially as online trackers have improved significantly lately to be able to collect more details about our devices.

The Incognito mode in Google Chrome means the browser doesn’t save the browsing history or the information that users fill in forms, while cookies and site data are only saved until the application is closed.

On the other hand, the websites you visit can still track you, and so the ISP and the network administrator. Files that you download in the Incognito mode are stored on your device, and saved bookmarks are saved as well.

When browsing the web in the Incognito mode, the Google Chrome interface turns black, and a dedicated icon shows up in the toolbar right next to the address bar.

Incognito window counter

Beginning with a future update of Google Chrome, the browser will also show an extra indicator for the actual number of Incognito windows, as discovered by TechDows. The feature will most likely be enabled by default, and it is currently available as an experiment in the latest version of Canary.

Google Chrome Canary is the search giant’s testing browser, so new features are first released here before making their way to the stable builds. However, they could be further tweaked in the meantime.

At this point, the Incognito window counter is enabled by default in Canary, and I believe this will be the case in the stable Chrome too.

To enable and disable the counter, you need to be running the latest version of Canary – I used version 74.0.3704.0 for my test, so any build newer than that should be OK. In the address bar of the browser, paste the following code:

chrome://flags/#enable-incognito-window-counter

Pasting this code and hitting enter should take your right to the chrome://flags screen, allowing you to adjust the way the indicator works. As I said, it’s enabled by default in the current version of Canary, so click the drop-down menu right next to this option and select the mode that you want – Default and Enabled means the indicator will continue to show up, while Disabled blocks it from being displayed.

The new flag in Google Chrome Canary

At this point, there are no specifics available as to when Google plans to bring this feature to the production builds of Chrome, but given it’s already in testing, I believe this shouldn’t take long.

The Incognito window counter isn’t a major improvement for Chrome users, but it’s a small refinement that certainly contributes to a refined overall experience. And this is super-important, especially because market share data shows that Chrome is running on nearly 80 percent of all desktop devices out there, while also dominating the mobile ecosystem thanks to its impressive Android install base.

Source

• Replies 1
  • Views 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, The AchieVer said:

That is one big blatant lie.  Here is a quote from Google's website on Incognito Mode.

Your activity isn’t hidden from websites you visit, your employer or school, or your internet service provider.

Archived