I like Windows 7: Why should I pay to move to Windows 10?

The AchieVer

I like Windows 7: Why should I pay to move to Windows 10?

With Windows 7 security upgrades about to go poof in less than a year, there are still some Windows 7 diehards who refuse to upgrade. Here we explain that free Windows 10 upgrades are still available, counter some upgrade objections, and provide a great list of resources for upgrading your machines to Windows 10.

Migrating from Windows 7? You might want to do it now

I'm still getting used to living in a small town. This time, it's the neighbors. I've lived in much bigger cities where I never even met my neighbors during my entire residence there. Here, the neighbors are more sociable, sometimes bringing cookies or fudge, sometimes complaining about Windows, and sometimes offering tips on my power tool posture when fixing my porch.

It's kind of delightful, in a "How did this happen to me?" kind of way. 

In any case, one neighbor came over to say "Hi" when I took Pixel pup outside, and then a guy from down the street who was walking by also decided to meander over for a visit. Neighbor One had asked my plans for the day, and I explained I was about to go in and start testing a review product using a Windows 10 VPN. 

That got him started on a rant about Microsoft, Windows, Amazon, Jeff Bezos' peccadillos, the President, whether Tilly is getting too much screen time on Star Trek, and then all the way back to Windows 7. He doesn't want to upgrade to Windows 10. 

This comment seemed to light a fire inside Neighbor Twof, who resented Windows 10 "being shoved down our throats." That's a direct quote. It turns out that the crux of the objection was, "I like Windows 7, why should I pay to move to Windows 10?" 

You (probably) don't have to pay 

Because Microsoft did a big push to get folks to upgrade to Windows 10 by July 29, 2016, many people mistakenly believe that the only way to upgrade to Windows 10 now is to pay. 

As it turns out, that's not true -- for individuals, anyway. If you have a machine that's compatible, and if you have a valid Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license key, you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Microsoft just doesn't actively promote that fact. 

As with many things Microsoft, the confusion is understandable. On Microsoft's Windows 10 page, it lists the price of Windows 10 at $139, an amount that clearly offended both Neighbor One and Neighbor Two. 

I explained to them that if you initiate the update on a currently valid machine and follow these instructions, you can probably do an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 without spending a penny. 

That's for individuals. If you're at a larger company, your costs will depend on your Windows contract with Microsoft. 

Our conversation continued. Even after I showed that they might be able to upgrade their older Windows 7 machines for free, they had objections. Since they're objections you also might have, I'm sharing them with you here. 

"Name one thing that I actually care about that Windows 10 will do for me." 

There's one key feature that makes Windows 10 a must-do upgrade: Security. Windows 10 has far better intrinsic security features than Windows 7. This makes sense, because when Microsoft introduced Windows 10, it had six years more experience fighting off cyberattacks than it had when Windows 7 was introduced. 

Patches have closed up some Windows 7 weaknesses, but Windows 7 (even patched) is nowhere near as secure. Mainstream support for Windows 7 ended a few years ago. Microsoft will stop issuing free Windows 7 security updates in less than a year

Some corporate installations can pay (an ever increasing price, actually) for ongoing Windows 7 security updates, but Microsoft is neither making it easy nor cheap -- and it's not available for consumers and small businesses. 

I explained that identity theft is a billion-dollar problem and that the cost, time, and stress involved in recovering from identity theft can be overwhelming. 

I also shared some of Ed Bott's salient pointsabout the cost to businesses: Recovering from ransomware or regulatory violations as a result of poor security can result in big loses and even bigger fines. 

Windows 10 was designed with a much deeper level of security in mind. Windows 10 is very different internally from Windows 7. Windows 10 was developed for the modern computing world, with all the threats and issues we face every day. Windows 10 has a huge number of architectural features that improve security. That's not patches. That's core design. 

Clearly, it's time to move to Windows 10. Microsoft built a lot into Windows 10 beyond security. The entire OS was built with a tremendous number of performance improvements, better memory management, and far fewer crashes. 

Microsoft catalogs a whole bunch of other Windows 10 benefits, including Cortana, Windows Ink, and even the Edge browser (which they're replacing, so go figure). Microsoft calls it the best Windows ever, which although is as generic a marketing answer as you can get, is actually true. Windows 10 is an exceptional OS. 

"But, I don't go to dangerous websites. I'm smarter than that." 

My discussion of improved security prompted this objection. But the world has changed and threats are more universal.

Ten years ago or so, it was the case that pretty much only sketchy websites were rife with malware. But that's no longer the case. Fully legitimate websites can be penetrated and attacked with malware. 

Some of them quietly download trojans to visitors' machines, to be activated later or just run in the background. Some sites get infected when they run their normal upgrade process and a component of the site, like a plugin, has been infected and that infection is downloaded via the automatic update. 

As a user, your personal care about which sites you visit is no longer a reliable protection against malware. You now need to be sure to run a fully patched operating system. Since Windows is the biggest target for malware, and since enemy actors have become intimately familiar with Windows 7's flaws, running it leaves a big, gaping security hole on your computer. 

It's bad, very, very bad. 

"My machine works perfectly now, if it ain't broke, don't fix it." 

If you're running Windows 7, your machine ain't "ain't broke." It's a wide open giant malware-sucking vacuum. You are bound to get p0wn3d. Upgrade. 

Beyond that, if you're running a machine designed for Windows 7, it's at least seven years old. That's like 50 years in dog/computer generation years. Every element in a modern PC, from storage to CPU, memory, network, chipset, and graphics have been subject to Moore's law for all those years. 

A low to middle-of-the-road 2019 PC that costs $500 will blow the doors off that seven-year-old Windows 7 PC. It well might be worth the cost of the upgrade. 

"I know new hardware won't be supported on Windows 7, but I have no intention of adding new hardware. My machine is perfectly fine as it is." 

Quite frankly, this was where I was when Windows 10 first came out. I had a number of very carefully tuned, highly optimized machinesthat, after years of tweaking, finally worked like a dream. I did not want to mess with perfection. 

But... they were connected to the internet. I've had to clean up my share of viruses and malware over the years, had to get credit cards reissued after credentials were stolen, and helped others clean up identity theft and ransomware attacks. It's just not pretty. 

If I could have guaranteed those machines would be permanently air-gapped from the internet, maybe then I could have turned them into museum exhibits of a bygone OS era, but everything I use connects online. So, yes, I upgraded. You need to, too. 

"I don't even know if Windows 10 will work on my machine." 

This is a legitimate concern. Windows 10 does have some issues with ancient hardware, but so does Windows 7. In the next section, I'll include a bunch of great articles that will walk you through the process of finding out if your machine can support Windows 10. 

There is, of course, another option: Getting a new machine. I know that can be costly, but there are actually a number of under-$200 Windows 10 notebooks available on Amazon with modern processors, and even a free year of Office 365. 

I'm not including the link to these machines, because they change constantly. If you're looking, go to Amazon, select the Computer section, then Laptops, then Windows 10, and enter between $100 and $200 for your price. 

If your current hardware won't support Windows 10, it's bound to be a lot slower than even low-end modern hardware that does. This might be a good time for a cheap, higher-performance upgrade in your gear.

Source

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's bad, very, very bad.

Not nearly as bad as that biased flame-bait trash of an article. Hey writer aka "Windows 10 Lover", I'm gonna stay on XP. You mad bro?

you don't need to pay to upgrade to Windows 10, because you can still upgrade for free and using the same licence you already have for Windows 7 in Windows 10.

except… that you are using a really really old hardware, for example a computer from 2006 o more older, and in that case for obvious reason you will have to pay for new hardware.

That's what I understand when a person is ill or has a defect at birth and writes articles about these stupidities. But I do not understand why it is necessary to copy and copy them.
Why do somebody need to reproduce and share completely false information? Whom or why it is useful?

Same thing happened with all microsoft's operating systems. I still have some friends who still use windows xp and vista. It's easy, 0 knowledge and ignorance :D

They may got their counst from the online machines but maybe 10 times offline machines got there in the real world. I still have a running fine win98 machine with winfax 😆

"Windows 10 has a huge number of architectural features that improve security..."

"Windows 10 has far better intrinsic security features than Windows 7...."

"Windows 10 was designed with a much deeper level of security in mind...."

The report keeps laboring this point but it would have been better to actually reveal the actual technical details of these alleged enhancements.

I certainly don`t know what they are, I have never read about them anywhere and would be interested to hear what they are.

Who knows, I may even change my mind about win10 - because as it is, it`s no better functionally than win7 for my purposes.

18 hours ago, xpkRAKE said:

"Windows 10 has a huge number of architectural features that improve security..."

"Windows 10 has far better intrinsic security features than Windows 7...."

"Windows 10 was designed with a much deeper level of security in mind...."

The report keeps laboring this point but it would have been better to actually reveal the actual technical details of these alleged enhancements.

I certainly don`t know what they are, I have never read about them anywhere and would be interested to hear what they are.

Who knows, I may even change my mind about win10 - because as it is, it`s no better functionally than win7 for my purposes.

mostly are kernel and hardware security features, and some improved security inside Windows Defender settings that are related with hardware security too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 6:25 PM, The AchieVer said:

This are really great news to those how want to upgrade to Wimdows 10. As today I am still a hardcore diehard who still use Windows 7. Maybe someday I am going to upgrade since Windows 10 have done some great improvements, of course in my opinion.

On 3/1/2019 at 9:34 PM, tivstip said:

windows defender from windals 10 will come to windows 7 too

source ?

On 3/2/2019 at 8:34 AM, tivstip said:

windows defender from windals 10 will come to windows 7 too

Wishful thinking ? heresay :)

If you like it. Use it, If you want to get more updates and tiny new features and like to live with the latest updates and stuff. Go for windows 10. There is no other excuse to hold back other than, I just really love it to sticky with Win7 or even XP, Send some love towards Vista as well while on it though. :D

58 minutes ago, tivstip said:

that does not mention Windows Defender for Windows 7, that just mention ATP feature from Windows Defender ported to Windows 7, and that means that probably they sill integrate it inside Microsoft Security Essentials, not inside Window Defender for Windows 7.

the article that i read was posted here on nsane and i remember the title was : "security from windows 10 comes to windows 7" and was about windows defender, coudnt find here and i posted first article that i found on internet search.

Archived