Old Windows 7 Computer - SMOKING HOT!!!

straycat19

A while back I posted a status update that I found an old Windows computer that had about 217 programs on it.  It was an original install when Windows 7 was released and then updated with SP1.  In other words it was probably in dire need of being formatted and reinstalled.  Instead I removed about 50 programs from it and cleaned out the temp files and folders and the caches on the system.  I updated or replaced a couple programs, for example it had an old version of Outpost Firewall and I replaced it with  Windows 10 Firewall Control Plus.  And it is still a fast machine.  I installed BootRacer to check it out and here are the results.

boot time.pngboot time 2.png

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you have also deleted the residual folders
of the programs that you deleted?
Did you also delete the programs in the windows registry?

28 minutes ago, straycat19 said:

boot time.pngboot time 2.png

Could you explain what these pictures should mean or show and whether they are somehow related to your Windows 7.
In short, what they are? I ask because they are very strange.

31 minutes ago, jbleck said:

boot time in seconds (time it takes Windows to start) as is available in Windows 10 through Task Manager - Startup tab

Sorry, I didn't know you're living together with @straycat19 

I would have asked you.

27 minutes ago, Kalju said:

Sorry, I didn't know you're living together with @straycat19 

I would have asked you.

Sorry for intruding... most times i just ignore a cat trap (makes a cat feel smart i guess).

I know that u knew what those screens meant and u still felt compelled to ask for more detailed info.

I guess u weren't pleased by my retarded answer... Was it meant to make u feel the way u do?

@Kalju and @jbleck.....Miaowwwww lol 🤣🤣🤣

13 hours ago, straycat19 said:

And it is still a fast machine.  I installed BootRacer to check it out and here are the results.

Yes thats a pretty good time. I got 26.437 on my 5 yr old heavily congested, just as it is, HDD (no SSD), Win7 lappy.

The reason I am posting here is for a different reason though. The reason is that after uninstalling Bootracer via its own uninstall tool I noticed that Start>All Programs>Startup was missing. Actually what had happened was upon the unistallation of Bootracer somehow the All Users startup folder 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup' was renamed from 'Startup' to 'STARTUP-' and had the hidden attribute checked. My personal startup folder 'C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup' was unchanged. Anyways this could have been a big PITA to a novice computer user, and is unacceptable to me. Just a warning for anyone wanting to try Bootracer and then uninstalling it as I did.

22 hours ago, eufrasiox said:

you have also deleted the residual folders
of the programs that you deleted?
Did you also delete the programs in the windows registry?

Of course.  I use Revo Uninstaller Pro and Total Uninstall and then I do manual registry searches if I suspect there may be something neither program caught.

22 hours ago, Kalju said:

Could you explain what these pictures should mean or show and whether they are somehow related to your Windows 7.
In short, what they are? I ask because they are very strange.

They are boot racer result screens.  Shows the total boot time of the system in seconds.

9 hours ago, Dr3dL0x said:

Anyways this could have been a big PITA to a novice computer user, and is unacceptable to me. Just a warning for anyone wanting to try Bootracer and then uninstalling it as I did.

This is a 10 year old computer running an i7-870 CPU on Asus P7F with 4 GB Ram and a 500 GB HDD.  I have used Boot Racer on many systems and have never encountered the problem you did.  I uninstalled it from the system and checked and everything was normal, I saw nothing like yours.  Then I reinstalled it with no problem.

Beware of uninstaller programs
you must know what are you doing
once, uninstall a program with Revo, advanced mode
I uninstall the program, folders and all the remnants of the registry, I also delete my Windows activation password, I do not know how, but it happened.
that's why I do not use these programs now, they can erase things
that are necessary.
my advice:
uninstall the program normally, and manually delete residual folders afterwards, then clean what you find on that program in the windows registry.

1 hour ago, straycat19 said:

This is a 10 year old computer running an i7-870 CPU on Asus P7F with 4 GB Ram and a 500 GB HDD.

10 years ago this processor was not available yet. It came out a bit later.

3 hours ago, eufrasiox said:

Beware of uninstaller programs
you must know what are you doing

This a big truth for me. Once tried one of them, I think Revo Uninstaller, and needed to run Windows restore to reverse what the uninstaller removed.

Good job.

Outpost Firewall? That brings back memories, OSS (Outpost Security Suite) was my AV for a long, long time. IIRC, until some company bought Agnitum for their technology but weren't interested in keeping their products going.

I recently upgraded a friend's Windows 7 PC that I built for him in early 2011. Only used for email, browsing, and watching Youtube videos.

I replaced the old HD with a smaller SSD (cloned the old HD onto it with Macrium Reflect Free), doubled the memory from 4GB to 8GB, and swapped the old PSU for a new one. He's delighted with a much faster boot and applications are more responsive.

Archived