how to determine if software is genuine?

cupster

With tax season (in the US) coming around again and the various tax software programs floating around, I was wondering if there is any good way to tell if a software is genuine.

For example there are various versions of Turbotax available, but how does somebody go about deciding if the software is safe to use, I mean who wants all there personal information heading to a identity theft ring in North Korea?

I know about checking hash values, but I cannot find anywhere that has a reliable hash value listing for Turbotax products.

I was curious if the digital signature could be trusted. When one goes to the file properties of the .exe file there is a tab for digital signatures, they all say intuit, but I was wondering how reliable that is.

I am a total noob, and would appreciate any insights or suggestions that anybody may have.

I also feel like this a topic that a lot of members could benefit from.

• Replies 4
  • Views 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, cupster said:

For example there are various versions of Turbotax available, but how does somebody go about deciding if the software is safe to use, I mean who wants all there personal information heading to a identity theft ring in North Korea?

No a sane person takes anything if it comes from North Korea. Not even when you get paid.

The safest way is to download from the developers site.You need to check the hash value and whether the file is digitally signed or not only if the download is from    other sources.

Regards

16 hours ago, cupster said:

The sure way to make sure it is genuine is to buy a retail package.  Essentially it is free since you can deduct the cost of tax preparation from your taxes.  I found out years ago that the software isn't as good as a CPA and since his charges are tax deductible it really doesn't cost me anything, Uncle pays for it.

Archived