Can IronWolf Pro (or) UltraStar be used in HDD Enclosure?

nsan3

Hi All,

I want to know whether High Storage HDDs such as "Seagate IronWolf Pro 14TB" (or) "Western Digital HGST UltraStar DC HC620 15TB" be used in HDD Enclosures such as "Vantec NexStar GX USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C 3.5” SATA HDD/SSD Enclosure" ??

My aim is to have the HDD Enclosures connected to Laptops or Desktops for Media Backup, File Transfers etc etc. With the advent of newer and newer HDD standards , I am worried whether my purchases will go haywire if they are not apt for my intended purpose.

HDD Enclosure Link -> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CYQPWD9/

14TB IronWolf Pro Link -> https://www.seagate.com/ca/en/internal-hard-drives/hdd/ironwolf/

15TB UltraStar Link -> https://www.westerndigital.com/products/data-center-drives/ultrastar-dc-hc600-series-hdd

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are NAS and file server type drives and are built to last longer than standard hard drives in general.  I used 5 Iron Wolf drives in a Synology DS1618+ and they worked out great.  Using them through USB will most likely not use the full speed but should work well even if the drives run hot.  They are built for server applications and as such can take more of a beating.  I would think this should work out well for you though if you have a network with some empty ethernet ports you might be able to get more speed through a NAS box.  The Synology for instance can use a SSD cache to speed up access to files plus link multiple ethernet ports to maximize speed.  Either way I don't see you going wrong with these drives though they will cost more.

7 minutes ago, leland said:

These are NAS and file server type drives and are built to last longer than standard hard drives in general.  I used 5 Iron Wolf drives in a Synology DS1618+ and they worked out great.  Using them through USB will most likely not use the full speed but should work well even if the drives run hot.  They are built for server applications and as such can take more of a beating.  I would think this should work out well for you though if you have a network with some empty ethernet ports you might be able to get more speed through a NAS box.  The Synology for instance can use a SSD cache to speed up access to files plus link multiple ethernet ports to maximize speed.  Either way I don't see you going wrong with these drives though they will cost more.

Thanks for the info mate, earlier I had heard that not all HDDs can be used inside a Enclosure and hence forth cannot be connected to Desktops for Media backup and what not. Anyways just waiting for others to pitch in as well, as you rightfully said the HDDs cost a damn lot of cash :(

In general, any normal HDD can be used in an enclosure. Older USB 2.0 interface caddies might have issues with high capacity drives but modern ones shouldn't have a problem. NAS-intended HDDs are even better for use in caddies because they have more allowance for vibration, better power control to run cooler in a confined case, etc. Heat is usually the main thing to consider in a small, unventilated caddy.

However...

The HC620 drive you list is a host managed SMR HDD, as I mentioned in another thread. You cannot use those in any normal caddy, or in your PC. They require special software. If you look at SMR HDDs, make sure they are drive-managed and understand the limitations of what is best used as a WORM device.

I have used many different NAS units over the years and have settled on Drobo because of their dependability and features.  I currently have 6 Drobo 5N/5N2, 1 Drobo 4, and 1 mini-Drobo.  The 5N series are ethernet NAS units, in other words I have them attached to my router thru a switch using CAT6 cables, while the Drobo 4 and mini are USB.  The IronWolf Pro drives are recommended by Drobo for use in the 5N2 units.  I have used nothing but WD Red NAS drives in mine and in the last 6 years have only had to replace 2 drives due to failure, though I have upgraded (replaced 5N with 5N2) units and drives to get more storage.  I would never use a USB unit with my home network, they are just too slow.  I have well over 200TB total storage and have never lost one bit of data.

As long as the enclosure can handle the Dive (some can only accept 1TB, TB or 3 TB or so forth)..

So better do you research first before buying

6 hours ago, straycat19 said:

I have used many different NAS units over the years and have settled on Drobo because of their dependability and features.  I currently have 6 Drobo 5N/5N2, 1 Drobo 4, and 1 mini-Drobo.  The 5N series are ethernet NAS units, in other words I have them attached to my router thru a switch using CAT6 cables, while the Drobo 4 and mini are USB.  The IronWolf Pro drives are recommended by Drobo for use in the 5N2 units.  I have used nothing but WD Red NAS drives in mine and in the last 6 years have only had to replace 2 drives due to failure, though I have upgraded (replaced 5N with 5N2) units and drives to get more storage.  I would never use a USB unit with my home network, they are just too slow.  I have well over 200TB total storage and have never lost one bit of data.

Thanks for the info @straycat19 , but the NAS setup am looking for require atleast 12-bays so I am planning to go ahead with Synology , they are a reputed brand in the NAS industry correct ?

A HDD Enclosure with UASP support will be compatible with HDD 6TB or larger and the fastest NAS HDD Enterprise drives still uses SATA III bandwidth, so a USB 3 Enclosure will suffice.

6 hours ago, macnavarra said:

I got that one with a refurbished western digital 6TB NAS enterprise HDD 7.200 rpm https://www.inateck.com/hard-drive-accessories/hdd-enclosures/tool-free-usb-3-0-hdd-enclosure/inateck-fe3002-black.html

Thanks buddy. Could you please tell me the speeds on it, like the time taken to write 10GB onto the drive (inside the enclosure), and the time taken to copy the 10GB file out of the drive on to a computer. Just wanted to see the transfer speeds.

t

10 hours ago, nsan3 said:

Thanks buddy. Could you please tell me the speeds on it, like the time taken to write 10GB onto the drive (inside the enclosure), and the time taken to copy the 10GB file out of the drive on to a computer. Just wanted to see the transfer speeds.

Its not so straight forward, "

UASP stands for USB Attached SCSI Protocol. It allows for faster read/write data speeds to and from storage devices.

Compared to traditional USB 3.0 BOT, UASP performs up to 70% faster read speeds and 40% faster write speeds at peak performance."

UASPSPEEDGraph.jpg

Regards.

btw: I bought these to https://www.inateck.com/pci-express-cards-hubs/pci-e-to-usb-3-0-express-cards/inateck-kt4006-dual-port-usb-3-0-pci-express-card-20-pin-connector-no-power-connection.html to pair with.

• 4 weeks later...

@straycat19 @macnavarra @teodz1984

Does anyone know about Toshiba's MG08 16TB HDD that uses Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR) ??

Link -> https://www.storagereview.com/toshiba_announces_16tb_mg08_series_hdds

I mean would this be more efficient that Seagate's IronWolf Pro 14TB for HDD Enclosure and NAS usages?? 

Give me your thoughts guys, thanks in advance.

Archived