AngelList: Piracy's unexpected comeback

steven36

Since 2011, Netflix has become one of the most powerful companies in the world, boasting a worldwide user base of nearly 150 million. Between 2011 and 2015, Netflix and other streaming services penetrated the global market so effectively that piracy plummeted roughly 50%.

f 4171

However, for the first time in years, that trend line is changing. In 2018, global piracy went up.

Global piracy rate is a useful indicator for the health of the streaming market because it highlights a key value of streaming providers: convenience. Netflix proved that even in a world where piracy is accessible and relatively low-risk, users are willing to pay for convenience. No one wants to search dodgy corners of the internet to stream The Office if they don't have to.

The migration of users from streaming services back to piracy indicates that streaming services are no longer offering the same level of convenience they used to. There are two major reasons for this.

The first is market segmentation. If you want to watch Westworld, Atlanta, and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, you'll need to subscribe to some combination of HBO, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. As major streaming services invest in exclusive content (Netflix budgeted $13 billion for original content in 2018), users are forced to sign up for multiple services or miss out. As producers like Disney launch their own exclusive streaming services, the problem only grows.

The second is international licensing. International licensing for media is a nightmare, and for streaming services, it presents a massive bottleneck. While Netflix users in the U.S. enjoy thousands of streamable movies, users in Portugal get by with a couple hundred. In countries with strict censorship laws like Saudi Arabia, numbers become even smaller.

These forces converge to make individual streaming services less convenient—and therefore less valuable—to users, making the trade-offs of piracy more worthwhile. And while that may not spell the end for streaming services, it does signal that we may be seeing the end of streaming's golden age.

Source: ;AngelList Newsletter via Email

• Replies 3
  • Views 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know why anyone would pirate Netflix.  I get it free, along with Hulu, Amazon Prime, CableTV, and internet.  I don't watch any of them, but my wife does.  She's lucky, if I had to pay for any of them she wouldn't have them.  I had to buy a smart TV so she could get access but then I hooked it to my neighbor's wireless, I don't even want it on mine, so I blocked it by MAC address, just in case.  She even has her own "TV Room" now to watch it in.  I would draw the line if she started inviting friends over to watch shows with her.

19 hours ago, straycat19 said:

I don't know why anyone would pirate Netflix.  I get it free, along with Hulu, Amazon Prime, CableTV, and internet.  I don't watch any of them, but my wife does.  She's lucky, if I had to pay for any of them she wouldn't have them.  I had to buy a smart TV so she could get access but then I hooked it to my neighbor's wireless, I don't even want it on mine, so I blocked it by MAC address, just in case.  She even has her own "TV Room" now to watch it in.  I would draw the line if she started inviting friends over to watch shows with her.

That is a little hard to believe  Netflix  is not free  nether is Hulu Plus. They are some mobile Internets that give Netflix  or Hulu free  with your plain but they are different providers and you only get one of them for free  depending on witch provider you chose  and Netflix and Hulu is still getting there money from the internet provider.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2018/03/26/have-cell-phone-plan-you-could-get-netflix-hulu-free/442554002/

But the catch 22 is there so called unlimited mobile internet is  limited after you use so much  gb they cap you to slow speeds were you  cant stream . :lmao:

"bundled not really free"

ISPs do this with the intent to get revenues from excess bandwith used (over current pan limits)

Archived