Windows Defender Antivirus

DLord

• Replies 31
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/24/2019 at 9:42 PM, Nastrahl said:

We are speaking about anti virus not firewall. They are totally different.

From one point of view, that's correct (there aren't the same kind of software).

From another point, if you care about the security, it's a terrible bad idea to have an antivirus without a decent firewall.

By the way, you forgot one fact : for that reason do you believe (almost any editor of an antivirus) provide (at least) 3 differents editions ?

To conclude, I will assume you didn't watch any videos.

190129122055526225.png

On 1/24/2019 at 9:42 PM, Nastrahl said:

What's the issue with the default Windows Firewall rules ?

Well it could be resume in fews words : it's an open bar for any malware (spyware, etc) !

Did you check the rules ? Did you take a look inside (Windows Firewall Advanced Settings) ? To resume, one huge list which is useless for me.

Because I will assume you aren't aware of this fact : the firewall isn't configure correctly. In fact instead of to refuse (deny), everything is authorize (allow) since several years (and it's was probably already the case even before Windows 7).

When I had discover this, I had decide to block all. Then I had discover WFC and I create my own rules which provide me a complete control (privacy, security, etc).

The Windows Firewall is good but doesn't provide any notifications (in real time) and as today, this issue isn't rectify (just check with W10--v1803).

15 hours ago, Ecarion said:

From one point of view, that's correct (there aren't the same kind of software).

From another point, if you care about the security, it's a terrible bad idea to have an antivirus without a decent firewall.

By the way, you forgot one fact : for that reason do you believe (almost any editor of an antivirus) provide (at least) 3 differents editions ?

To conclude, I will assume you didn't watch any videos.

190129122055526225.png

Well it could be resume in fews words : it's an open bar for any malware (spyware, etc) !

Did you check the rules ? Did you take a look inside (Windows Firewall Advanced Settings) ? To resume, one huge list which is useless for me.

Because I will assume you aren't aware of this fact : the firewall isn't configure correctly. In fact instead of to refuse (deny), everything is authorize (allow) since several years (and it's was probably already the case even before Windows 7).

When I had discover this, I had decide to block all. Then I had discover WFC and I create my own rules which provide me a complete control (privacy, security, etc).

The Windows Firewall is good but doesn't provide any notifications (in real time) and as today, this issue isn't rectify (just check with W10--v1803).

You are right, what video in particular ?

In advance, I'm sorry if I don't write well or if it seems to be "aggressive", "condescending" or such, because English isn't my native language and I absolutely don't mean any harm.

I'll try to explain my opinion about security programs :

AV Editor's FW are all relying on the Windows Firewall Platform so they're just an UI to customise Windows' firewall rules (the only exception I know is Comodo). Since the network core of Windows comes from BSD since Vista I think it's a pretty solid one.

Firewall purpose is to filter network "doors", so it has nothing to do with malwares.

AV purpose is to verify files based on "appearance" (signatures) and behaviour like a security guard in your house. if your house got open doors, it's not the AV's fault but the firewall's one. If your doors a well closed based on your rules, you don't need an AV at all.

If you still have doubt about whom you lend your keys, you can use an HIPS that'll ask you every time somebody will do any thing in your house (that makes AV optional in my opinion if you are a bit of an advanced user).

Nowadays the firewall knows which program can communicate through the same door or not, so that even if you close the port 1953 to one, it doesn't mean that it's for every program. If I scan an port that Windows' firewall allow to communicate through in my system, it'll still be stealth.

And if you fear that allowed (or not) programs communicate shit, you can use an IDS that's filter swearing one (that why I like SEP like I mentioned above).

I hope I'm understandable enough. :)

On 1/28/2019 at 1:46 AM, pc71520 said:

Protection is one thing.

Upgraded to ESET :), Very Light Weight Antivirus Program 50-100MB RAM Consumption While Doing Full Scan. Where Bitdefender Takes Around 250-300MB RAM

kpReZT2.png

On 1/23/2019 at 5:17 AM, DLord said:

Is it really needed?

Just keep in mind that I have computer related education and I feel confident that most of the time I practice safe web surfing and downloading.

In my opinion, you can stick with windows  inbuilt AV , as you have safe surfing habits.

Regards

Archived