Huawei CEO hits back at claims company spies for China, calls Trump ‘great president’

steven36

Ren Zhengfei speaks days after the arrest of another Huawei employee, this time in Poland

23 ce

Ren Zhengfei, founder and chief executive officer of Huawei Technologies Co.

SHENZHEN, China—The founder and CEO of Huawei Technologies Co. said his company has never spied for the Chinese government—and never would—as he made a rare public appearance following the arrest of his daughter in Canada.

“No law requires any company in China to install mandatory back doors,” Ren Zhengfei said Tuesday. “I personally would never harm the interest of my customers and me and my company would not answer to such requests.”

Ren didn’t say what specifically he would do to resist such requests. All companies doing business in China are required by law to hand over customer data to the government in cases that touch on national security. In China, national-security threats are broadly defined and can include speech critical of the Communist Party.

Ren said he missed his daughter, Huawei CFO Meng Wanzhou, but was optimistic justice would prevail. Meng was arrested on Dec. 1 in Vancouver at the request of U.S. authorities, which accuse her of lying about the company’s business with Iran. She denies the charges.

Huawei’s reclusive 74-year-old founder, a former army engineer, also praised President Trump as a “great president” and maintained Huawei is owned by its employees. The U.S. has raised concerns about Huawei’s ties to the Chinese state and that its telecom equipment could be used by Beijing to spy.

More At [WSJ]

Source

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Views 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

American charged by Russia with espionage was handed classified material, lawyer say

usa spy now in big sh.t 

Archived