Sign in to follow this  
Karlston

A first look at SmartAdblock for Firefox and Chrome

shorty6100

I'd be interested in any study done between this and tried and true ublock origin.

Jogs

They will have to work very hard to place themselves with the already established providers.

stylemessiah

Yup, i wont be switching form UBlock Origin anytime soon...

All the "extra features" of Smart Adblock, like auto GDPR cookie acceptance, can be gained by addons anyways:

auto accept GDPR cookies - https://www.i-dont-care-about-cookies.eu/

popup blocking - violentmonkey and https://adguard.com/en/blog/adguard-popup-blocker-v2-1/

Edited by stylemessiah

DKT27

See the last option on this page. It's already available - need to be manually enabled though, in other addons there.

smartadblock

Hi Guys

I am in the developer team of smartadblock, and I am pleased to find this thread. We have started working on smartadblock because we believe we can bring something new in the field. For ublock origin fans usually I simply give them the example of webmd.com on ubo+chrome, ubo cant handle it and you will have ads (browse an internal page), smartadblock can. So our tech is different and sometimes better.

We also wanted to solve the cookie warnings problem, and obviously if the fanboy easylist was enough ... we wouldnt have started coding at all. Fanboy cookie list doesnt solve the problem and breaks 40% of gdpr websites (when you browse them from Europe) SmartAdBlock is tacking this problem seriously.

Chrome extension team is being a bit slow at validating our updates, but the 1.0.9 version coming in a few days will be officially the lightest adblocker in terms of memory usage, and will come with a lot of other goodies. In the meanwhile we would be glad if you joined us to give smartadblock a try and send some feedback (reddit r/smartadblock).

Thanks for this thread!