Microsoft Can’t Wait for Windows 7 to Die

The AchieVer

Windows 7 will reach the end of support in January 2020, and with left than 12 months of updates left, Microsoft is already making plans for a world without this OS version.

And while the transition will undoubtedly be a difficult moment for both Microsoft and its customers, the software giant has every reason to be optimistic, as it expects the death of Windows 7 to generate a significant boost in the number of upgrades to Windows 10.

Speaking with TechRadar, Mark Linton, GM of OEM Portfolio and Product Management for Microsoft, said the company anticipates that the end of support for Windows 7 would help not only boost the adoption of Windows 10, but also increase PC shipments.The second Windows XPGartner earlier this week revealed that in the fourth quarter of 2018, PC shipments declined once again, blaming the CPU shortage as one of the reasons.

“There are a few factors here. Innovation in silicon, innovation in graphics [and] Windows 10 momentum in terms of the install base. Windows 7 is going end of support in a year, and so customers are looking to move to make sure they get updated and so on,” Linton said.

“Each silicon generation, things get thinner and better battery life. Again, I often compare it to that Windows 7 machine [that] is six or seven years old, compared to what you’re getting now, it blows your mind. Windows 7 support is a big one that we see customers thinking about, you know, ‘I want to upgrade to Windows 10, so I can get updates.’ And, just overall, excitement is back in the PC,” he continued.

There’s no doubt that the demise of Windows 7 will translate to more upgrades to Windows 10, but as I explained recently, the 2009 operating system is very likely to become the second Windows XP.

With more than 35% market share right now, Windows 7 is losing ground at a rather slow pace, so there’s a chance that by the time the January 2020 milestone is reached, only a few users would upgrade to Windows 10.

Time will tell how Microsoft handles the retirement of Windows 7, but for now, the company seems very optimistic about it. No matter what happens, Windows 10 will be the first one to benefit from this milestone.

• Replies 12
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

win 7 forever......

ok lets enjoy till jan 2020 .. afterwrds something new will be there..which may be much better and fast like win 7.

As at the time of XP we all was like..nooo we dont want to leave it..but after using win 7.... aaahh this new OS is good we dont want to go back now.....

so as time passed something new and better will be on the way..

1 minute ago, truemate said:

so as time passed something new and better will be on the way..

By that time, I guess windows 10 should have evolved as a stable OS.

1 minute ago, The AchieVer said:

yessss. as now its like beta only..

@truemate as i have posted in another thread..people should give another chance to Windows 8.1. It has many under the hood improvements, and its user interface can be tweaked by installing a few third party software and disabling metro interface using the built in options!

Is Win10 an OS? I thought it was a virus... xD

2 minutes ago, Anshb said:

@truemate as i have posted in another thread..people should give another chance to Windows 8.1. It has many under the hood improvements, and its user interface can be tweaked by installing a few third party software and disabling metro interface using the built in options!

hmmm many says there some flaws,instability regarding win 8.1....

or i would have sure given a try for 8.1 .. as i don't mess with OS .. install/uninstall so much time consuming... for software its ok but with OS nope.

2 hours ago, masterupc said:

Is Win10 an OS? I thought it was a virus... xD

A virus causes less problems!!😀😀😀 Seriously though, even if I did consider upgrading to Win 10 right now, I would just have to read the disasters that befall users of that version almost every  patch Tuesday. I mean seriously, what's the point of having a great up to date anti-virus, anti-malware, firewall and being careful about which sites you visit and which links or emails you open if at the end of all that Microsoft regularly sabotages your machine and causes you to have a brain bleed?

Win 10?....meh!!!😀😀😀

3 hours ago, The AchieVer said:

Your comment reminds me of an old song called "Wishing and Hoping" from the 60s, I believe.  On the other hand, they haven't been able to make it a stable OS in over three years so why would that happen in less than a year more.  And if you want to extrapolate even further, they haven't been able to build a stable and secure OS in the 36 years that it has been in existence.  

There are still a lot of Windows XP systems around years after support for it ended.  Some users on this forum still run XP as can be seen from requests for assistance or software occasionally.  

And does anyone believe that after all the work I have done to get Windows 7 to run on the latest laptop and desktop systems just the way I want it, that I would dare install Windows 10 on any of them.  And did you know that you could disable Windows  7 updates and still install security updates without enabling it.  Try that on Windows 10.  Ten years from now I will still be running Windows 7 on these systems. 

I still have a Windows 98 system running that I built in 1999 that has a bunch of old games on it, and books full of the original game CDs from the late 90s, just in case I ever need to reinstall them.  It's fun to play the old games the way they were meant to be played.

13 hours ago, truemate said:

hmmm many says there some flaws,instability regarding win 8.1....

I've found the opposite. In the last 2.5 years with 8.1, zero bluescreens, lockups, spontaneous reboots.

Flame me if you like, but IME it's more stable than 7.

Once you replace the horrid tile-infested Start Menu with a third-party 7 like one, and disable the Charms Bar, there's liitle difference with 7. And you'll get a few more years of MS support.

This reminded me to check my Windows XP for updates in 2019, and what do you know, 4 security updates are available this month. Maybe Windows 7 will continue to be patched behind the scenes just as Windows XP was.

If I had to choose between Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10, I would probably choose 8.1 with a custom start menu. Though there are many reasons I still like XP better... I tried to communicate some of those reasons to Microsoft through the insider program, but it really became a pointless exercise.

On 1/12/2019 at 11:26 AM, The AchieVer said:

There’s no doubt that the demise of Windows 7 will translate to more upgrades to Windows 10, but as I explained recently, the 2009 operating system is very likely to become the second Windows XP.

With more than 35% market share right now, Windows 7 is losing ground at a rather slow pace, so there’s a chance that by the time the January 2020 milestone is reached, only a few users would upgrade to Windows 10.

I don't have statistics but from personal experience among family and friends I believe that all those who could upgrade or was upgraded forcefully from Windows 7 or 8.1 to 10, already are using Windows 10. Those with hardware limitations using Windows 7 will not upgrade until they don't need to change to a new computer. I even know people who still use Windows XP, for computer and hardware limitations, including myself on one of my computers!

14 hours ago, banned said:

This reminded me to check my Windows XP for updates in 2019, and what do you know, 4 security updates are available this month. Maybe Windows 7 will continue to be patched behind the scenes just as Windows XP was.

Mainstream support for Windows Embedded POSReady 7 ended on October 11, 2016 but extended support ends on October 12, 2021. I have my Windows XP registry patched for POSREADY but hadn't checked yet how to do this for Windows 7 gaining about year and half of additional time for security updates.

On 1/13/2019 at 11:15 AM, Karlston said:

I've found the opposite. In the last 2.5 years with 8.1, zero bluescreens, lockups, spontaneous reboots.

Flame me if you like, but IME it's more stable than 7.

Once you replace the horrid tile-infested Start Menu with a third-party 7 like one, and disable the Charms Bar, there's liitle difference with 7. And you'll get a few more years of MS support.

your words..... making me to jump on 8.1 ... but win 7 😕

Archived