6 Myths That Scare Away New Linux Users

steven36

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Thanks for the information both of you.

I have tried some of them previously. But the user of the laptop does not want to try things nor I have time anymore to try things. It came with this but is highly outdated and somehow refusing to update.

Yes I have known one can install another interface on it. I'm currently confused between mixing this with this or directly use this. Easy to find help online and easy to use is a priority. The laptop is a 4th generation i3 which is  quite powerful enough I think. 

You're very welcome. An i3 of any description is more than adequate. So if you just want something that works, I wouldn't mix anything with anything, plus Cinnamon was developed by the folk at Linux Mint, so the laptop owner will probably hate that too.

Of the options you mention I'd say Lubuntu is your best choice. It is basically Ubuntu which is what is on there now, so there shouldn't by many (any?) hardware issues...

Plus it deploys the lightweight LXQt desktop environment as standard, with all the mixing and matching done for you. It ought to be faster than your existing install. 😀

• Administrator
On 1/14/2019 at 6:16 PM, brain_death said:

You're very welcome. An i3 of any description is more than adequate. So if you just want something that works, I wouldn't mix anything with anything, plus Cinnamon was developed by the folk at Linux Mint, so the laptop owner will probably hate that too.

Of the options you mention I'd say Lubuntu is your best choice. It is basically Ubuntu which is what is on there now, so there shouldn't by many (any?) hardware issues...

Plus it deploys the lightweight LXQt desktop environment as standard, with all the mixing and matching done for you. It ought to be faster than your existing install. 😀

Well, the interface is not the problem, provided the user's understanding of things. :P

But thanks for the information, I will think about it.

I've been using Linux for longer than I've been using Windows XP. But the software and games available on Windows is what keeps me on Windows primarily. Otherwise I would've made the full switch to Linux a long time ago.

54 minutes ago, banned said:

I've been using Linux for longer than I've been using Windows XP. But the software and games available on Windows is what keeps me on Windows primarily. Otherwise I would've made the full switch to Linux a long time ago.

You can install DossBox  on Linux and play lots of old games that you can't play on Windows Vista or Newer

https://www.computerbeginnersguides.com/blog/2017/08/15/install-and-configure-dosbox-gaming-on-linux-mint-18-2/

What you say may of been valid a year ago  but not anymore,  As far as new games .

Valve Changes Everything: Windows-Exclusive Games Now Run On Steam For Linux

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/08/22/valve-changes-everything-windows-exclusive-games-now-run-on-steam-for-linux/#10a7becfe3fa

And Linux  also gets  many native  made games  and the scene crack linux games just like they do for windows.

Today  Warhammer_40.000_Gladius_Relics_Of_War_Tyranids_Linux-Razor1911 came out :rolleyes:

G'day all,

I find this thread very interesting. I've been thinking of going Linux for a long time but I always got cold feet about doing it.

Q: What antivirus, if any, would you recommend to use with Linux? Currently I'm using W 8.1 and W 10 with Eset V8. which Eset is forcing me, with pop up screens, to upgrade to their latest version. (same as MS and Google Chrome).

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

John

ESET NOD32 offered an antivirus for Linux years ago, but it was less than popular and certainly made my machine worse rather than better.

The standard AV for Linux is ClamAV and I have this running constantly on my mail server, so that all email is scanned and malware removed before my email lands potentially on a Windows box. People bitch about ClamAV, but it is free and I have always been very happy with it, especially if you include some of the extra signatures that are offered around the Web.

If used correctly Linux is inherently less prone to viruses than Windows , plus malware authors will target the biggest markets, especially those who are likely to know little or nothing about their machines, i.e. Windows users!

So, unless you are swapping files with Windows machines, you may not need AV at all. Otherwise, get ClamAV...

Company policy is another reason to have an AV installed on linux machines. The policy can require all machines to have an AV, whatever they run.

Archived