VLC Media Player Passes 3 Billion Downloads Mark, AirPlay Support Coming Soon       

The AchieVer

VLC passes 3 billion downloads

VLC passes 3 billion downloads

The open-source VLC Media Player app from VideoLAN reached a major milestone today as it just passed the 3 billion downloads mark on the project's official website.

VLC is probably the most popular cross-platform media playback application available to date, used by millions of computer users worldwide on all major platforms, including GNU/Linux, Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Chrome OS, and even Windows Phone OS.

It became one of the most popular media player apps mostly because of its ability to play any type of video without needing a codec pack. Most of the widely used video and audio codecs are incorporated into the application for a hassle-free video playback experience.

But you probably already knew that and already using VLC as your main video player app on your personal computer, tablet, or mobile phones. What you probably didn't know, is that VLC reached has been downloaded more than 3 billion times on the official website.

The statistics provided by developer VideoLAN aren't for a specific platform as those are managed via OS app stores, including GNU/Linux distribution repositories. We're talking here about how many times the app has been downloaded from the official website.

The one billion downloads mark was hit in 2012 and the 2 billion downloads mark in 2016. VideoLAN is present these days at CES 2019 in Las Vegas and celebrated the major milestone with a futuristic countdown at their booth, and said that they're working on VLC 4, a massive release that would add long-anticipated features.

VLC 3.0.6 is out now, AirPlay support coming soon

The 3 billion downloads mark was probably reached today thanks to the sixth update in the "Vetinari" series. VLC 3.0.6 adds support for 12 bits AV1 decoding, adds HDR support in AV1 if the container provides the metadata, and fixes an issue for DVD subtitles.

You can download VLC 3.0.6 for GNU/Linux, macOS, and Windows right now through our free software portal or directly from the official website if you want to contribute to future download milestones.

Meanwhile, VideoLAN promises to add AirPlay support to VLC for Android, according to developer Jean-Baptiste Kempf (via Variety), allowing users to stream videos from their mobile devices to Apple TVs. AirPlay support should be available in an update next month.

source

• Replies 4
  • Views 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, J.D said:

It is very good for online streaming of Tv channels :)

Yep Its good for that but as far as watching  local videos its behind times in Linux i have to change the  video output driver every time i switch from x265 to x264 videos to get them to work right were with SMplayer  i can just set it to  my perfered output  and leave  it I been using v4  RC 1 dev builds for a longtime with AV1 no encodes are out for this format yet and its not mature and fast enough to be used it's just like vlc had x265 before the others did but it never was a great x265 player  once x265  matured  ,  I wish i could give it more love because of it being open source but i just can't but v4 RC is much better than v3 x ever was ,v3 was the most buggy builds of VLC ever, that is why they lost so many users to Potplayer , Media Player Classic forks on Windows , Smplayer /MPV   on Linux and Windows . But as far as IPTV  its hard to beat but most streams i know how to load them in Kodi as well .

4 minutes ago, steven36 said:

Yep Its good for that but as far as watching  local videos its behind times in Linux i have to change the  video output driver every time i switch from x265 to x264 videos to get them to work right were with SMplayer  i can just set it to  my perfered output  and leave  it I been using v4  RC 1 dev builds for a longtime with AV1 no encodes are out for this format yet and its not mature and fast enough to be used it's just like vlc had x265 before the others did but it never was a great x265 player and once x265  matured  ,  I wish i could give it more love because of it being open source but i just can't but v4 RC is much better than v3 x ever was ,v3 was the most buggy build of VLC ever that is why lost so many users to Potplayer , Media Player Clssic forkd on Windows , Smplayer /MPV   on Linux and Windows . But as far as IPTV  its hard to beat but most streams i know how to load them in Kodi as well .

For Video's I use MPC-HC Player 

45 minutes ago, J.D said:

For Video's I use MPC-HC Player 

If you on the Dev channel  of VLC  in Linux  it may download   a few times a week  it just depends , I know they are way  behind  on releasing v4  but still  if you test it that's alot of downloads per month  and I wonder  how many of those downloads were just users testing it to see has it got any better ?  Witch its not improved very much in years in fact it went downhill in v3 . V4 is the 1st real overhaul its had since v2 came out lol.

Archived