How Windows 7 Is Slowly Becoming the Second Windows XP

The AchieVer

The AchieVer

I guess everybody agrees that Windows 7 is one of the most successful, if not the most successful version of Windows released so far.

However, the clock is ticking for Windows 7, as Microsoft will retire this particular version in just two months, with the latest updates to be shipped in January 2020.

This is something that Microsoft has reminded on several occasions, and expect the company to increase efforts on making people aware that Windows 7 is going dark in the coming months.

The popularity of Windows 7 has been considered one of the reasons Windows 10’s adoption rate improved at a rather slow pace, as many people just wanted to stick with this OS version instead of moving to the more modern successor. The familiar desktop, the lack of a Microsoft Store and other new features, and the refined performance of Windows 7 made it one of the most popular OS versions in many years.

But now with Microsoft preparing to pull the plug on it, Windows 7 is approaching its end, and just like it happened in April 2014 when Windows XP was pulled, users are recommended to prepare for an upgrade in order to avoid staying with an operating system that no longer gets security patches.

But just like five years ago, retiring Windows 7 is going to be quite a challenge for Microsoft, especially because figures indicate that it’s very likely to become the second Windows XP.

December 2018 desktop OS market share

December 2018 desktop OS market share

In other words, it won’t go dark without a fight, and certainly, lots of users would continue running it even after support comes to an end.

Last month, Windows 7 was running on 36.90 percent, and it was the first time it dropped to the second place, with Windows 10 now the leading desktop platform worldwide.

These figures look a lot like those of Windows XP one year before its demise. In April 2013, 12 months before Windows XP was scheduled to get the axe, it was the second most-used operating system on the desktop with a share of 38.73 percent. Windows 7 was at that time the leader with 44.73 percent.

Windows 8, which was the newest OS version in 2013, failed to impress, and instead of convincing Windows XP users to upgrade, it actually produced no significant change in terms of market share.

The same happens today, though it goes without saying that Windows 10 is by far more successful than Windows 8. Windows 10 is continuously improving and is right now the leading platform, but again, it’s unlikely it would help kill Windows 7 in the remaining time until January 2020.

Desktop OS market share in April 2014 when Windows XP was retired

Desktop OS market share in April 2014 when Windows XP was retired

For now, Windows 7 continues to be considered one familiar desktop operating system that many people just love, and despite the approaching end of support, it’s unlikely users would migrate en-masse to Windows 10. Because truth be told, there’s no other version that you can choose right now, other than Windows 10.

Five years after its demise, Windows XP continues to be surprisingly popular. NetMarketShare claims Windows XP now has a share of 4.54 percent, which is quite impressive for an operating system launched 18 years ago. The same is very likely to happen with Windows 7 too, especially because it’s so widely-used these days.

Nevertheless, expect the market share of Windows 7 to drop at a faster pace in the coming months, mostly as we get closer to end of support.

As for the reasons you should upgrade before the time comes, there’s not much to say here. Without security updates, Windows 7 would remain exposed to hackers, and given that most Windows versions share the same vulnerabilities, it would be a lot easier for malicious actors to compromise a system running an unsupported operating system.

Source

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The AchieVer
8 minutes ago, truemate said:

win 7 best

not yet try win10 so cant say abt it

Yes win 7 is the best. I have been using win 10 since it was rolled out in 2015 , so far no issues , as  reported everywhere.

However, there are issues which are specific while others are generic.

It's a matter of personal choice.

Regards

1 hour ago, mp68terr said:

Linux as main OS, and win7 only when needed with restricted internet access... No plan for w10.

Linux  is my main OS and Windows  8.1 to fart around  in Windows on  here..  Windows 7 every windows update is haunted by the the fact it can botch your network drivers this is a old bug Microsoft never fixed because  back when Windows 7 was made  Microsoft had poor 3rd party device support out of the box, i use to have to turn off the internet when installing and uninstalling  Firewalls and things on Windows 7 years ago or i would have to reinstall drivers . Every since Windows 8 the network just works  out the box same as any modern  Linux Distro you dont  need to install 3rd party drivers for networking. many people that uses Windows 7 there USB ports and stuff just quit working  all that was fixed in Windows 8.1.

Personally, I'll stick with Win 7 (x64) for the next two years and by that time Win 10 should (hopefully) be a lot more stable in terms of patch Tuesday's etc. I'm not a gamer and I don't need a machine that flies, just one that I can rely on and enjoy using.....a bit like my wife (don't tell her I said that!!!)😀😀😀

People on Linux are still using XP boxes that came with a P4 that work fine  I bought my 1st box with a P4  in 2002    Linux is going to end up phasing x86 out but these boxes will still be working with and outdated  OS . Microsoft list the problem with the Network drivers on Windows 7 as known  issue on every update, same issue I was having in  2011 with Windows 7 with updating software that used the network. Old hardware dont phase out of  use,  it just blows up, or it keeps working,   only the OS vendors  phase them out they still millions of people on XP, i only used Windows 7 for 2 years as my main OS but  I still have PCs with it here but I never tried to downgrade one of my Windows 8 machines to Windows 7 its like XP i don't miss it at all. I been using Windows 8.1 off and on since 2013 . I tested Windows 10 off and on  2015-2018 but i stop using it when RS4 came out instead upgrading I switch back to Windows 8.1   . :tooth:

stylemessiah

No one was more against Windows 10 than me

then i tried Windows 10 LTSB...it was okay, but after a month, i went back to Window s7

then a few months later, and recently, i installed Windows 10 LTSC...much better and its been on here ever since, its faster than Windows 7 on this PC, by a fair margin too

dont get me wrong, you still need to turn off a bunch of crap, but its still waaaay better than any retail version of Windows 10 will ever be...and no stupid tiles/apps!

Windows 10 was not to bad if your using a older one LTSC

Enterprise LTSC
Enterprise LTSC (Long-Term Servicing Channel) is a long-term support version of Windows 10 Enterprise released every 2 to 3 years. Each release is supported with security updates for 10 years after its release, and intentionally receive no feature updates. Some features, including the Microsoft Store and bundled apps, are not included in this edition.This edition was first released as Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (Long-Term Servicing Branch). There are currently 3 releases of LTSC: one in 2015 (version 1507), one in 2016 (version 1607) and one in 2018 (version 1809).

But the latest one was one is the current version of Windows 10 has been the worse release ever  . Once Redstone 3 came out that was end of the road for me I couldn't stand it and never booted in Windows much for 6 mths,   The point is people should not have to pirate windows to get a stable release and i'm not when I legally own Windows 8.1 for 2 pcs and they get updates to 2023  and Linux is free . If i bought a new PC  i would install Linux on it and remove Windows 10 before i have to pirate and OS. Software should be free to everyone like it is on Linux, we should not have to pirate it. Especially Windows I started out on Windows ME in 2001  and Windows came in the price of the computer I never had to pirate it or buy it again.

3 hours ago, teodz1984 said:

Probably lots of old harware phasing out of use...

I hope you're not referring to my wife!! 😀😀😀

9 hours ago, steven36 said:

Linux  is my main OS and Windows  8.1 to fart around  in Windows on  here..  Windows 7 every windows update is haunted by the the fact it can botch your network drivers ...  all that was fixed in Windows 8.1.

Light win7 here, tried to remove as much as possible. Same old hardware with same old drivers for years. Did not see the issues you described, but might try a light win8.1 though ;)

In my opinion, windows 7 is undoubtedly the best version of windows ever. However, when the support for it ends, users who dislike windows 10 might want to take another shot at windows 8.1. It fixed a lot of annoyances which were present in windows 8 which drove people away from adopting it. But in the light of windows 10 and its issues, windows 8.1 is much more stable and a welcome option.. And yes..Linux is always there!!!😁

I think those who prefer Windows 7 compared to Windows 10, will agree that Windows 10 LTSB2016 / LTSC2019 is a replacement for Windows7.

There are also win7 users who never tried win10 because of all the bad things linked to win10; broken updates, broken features, telemetry, troubles to stop updates, etc...

No idea about the LTSC/C versions.

5 minutes ago, mp68terr said:

No idea about the LTSC/C versions.

LTSB has no crap preinstalled , no frequent features updates and upgrades.

A bit shielded from tribulation......

1 minute ago, mp68terr said:

Kind of lite win10 then... Worth a try, in a virtual box first.

You won’t feel the difference, it’s actually for enterprises like banks, ATM ‘s ..........

I just installed win 10 enterprise 19h1 (tech preview) yesterday. Now I am using win7 32 bit and win10 64 bit on the same machine (dual boot). I applied O&O Shutup10.

Trying to work in win10 environment. 😀

Let's not forget that Windows XP could be installed on new hardware.

Microsoft/AMD/Intel have colluded to ensure that older Windows versions can't be installed on new hardware. For Windows on newer hardware it's 10 or nothing.

I agree that if you're forced to Windows 10, then the LTSC versions are the way to go. Even Microsoft tacitly tells us it's the best version when they say that LTSC is not recommended. :)

For now, I'll stick with 8.1. With a few minor and cheap tweaks it's virtually the same as 7. And IME, it's more stable than 7 was for me. And 7 was very stable.

5 hours ago, Icow said:

I think those who prefer Windows 7 compared to Windows 10, will agree that Windows 10 LTSB2016 / LTSC2019 is a replacement for Windows7.

LTSC 2019  (1809) is stable as a rock, and very quick.....dont be worried by the 1809 tag, its unaffected by the crud the retail users get lumped with

Archived