Which HDD is better for Desktop PC .. Normal or Surveillance

maxlife

Hi to all members. Can anyone guide me i want to replace MY Desktop HDD.  Which HDD is better for Desktop PC .. Normal or Surveillance ... Which is fast .... Thanks...

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@DR_ADHAM and @The AchieVer Please guide me i want to replace MY Desktop HDD.  Which HDD is better for Desktop PC .. Normal or Surveillance ... Which is fast .... Both are same prices. Thanks And Happy new Year 2019... Which have better life cycle....

The AchieVer
5 minutes ago, maxlife said:

Please guide me i want to replace MY Desktop HDD.  Which HDD is better for Desktop PC .. Normal or Surveillance ... Which is fast .... Both are same prices. Thanks And Happy new Year 2019... Which have better life cycle....

Surveillance HDD especially designed for CCTV setup. It looks similar to other drives and has differences only with optimizations and features which are developed for surveillance.

You can easily connect the drive as like other HDDs in the DVR of your surveillance setup.

Now , you see the difference between a normal HDD and a Surveillance one.

Ideally , the choice should be between HDD and SSD.

If you can define the purpose of using your PC , I will be in better position to guide you.

REGARDS

11 minutes ago, The AchieVer said:

Surveillance HDD especially designed for CCTV setup. It looks similar to other drives and has differences only with optimizations and features which are developed for surveillance.

You can easily connect the drive as like other HDDs in the DVR of your surveillance setup.

Now , you see the difference between a normal HDD and a Surveillance one.

Ideally , the choice should be between HDD and SSD.

If you can define the purpose of using your PC , I will be in better position to guide you.

REGARDS

My Main purpose is for general computing  . I need for desktop pc. Browsing and accounting. Wn i come office  my pc on continous 8-10 hrs is on power. SSD is quite expensive.  Looking for  1TB Normal HDD or Surveillance HDD... Which life span and speed is better... 

The AchieVer
1 minute ago, maxlife said:

My Main purpose is for general computing  . I need for desktop pc. Browsing and accounting. Wn i come office  my pc on continous 8-10 hrs is on power. SSD is quite expensive.  Looking for  1TB Normal HDD or Surveillance HDD... Which life span and speed is better... 

Go for good HDD .

Have you made yourself sure enough , that your HDD has gone for good?

Regards

1 hour ago, The AchieVer said:

Go for good HDD .

Have you made yourself sure enough , that your HDD has gone for good?

Regards

My HDD have some noise but working... But my hdd 7 years old so better buy new one. But i go for Computer HDD or Surveillance HDD... main confusion is this.. Some say Surveillance has 5400 rpm while Normal HDD have 7200 rpm.. But write speed is better in Surveillance HDD. Some google search say data crash chances surveillance most . But which life span has better still i do not know.. Can you advice between  1TB Normal HDD or Surveillance HDD seagte and WD same price for both... which i go for...

The AchieVer
6 minutes ago, maxlife said:

My HDD have some noise but working... But my hdd 7 years old so better buy new one. But i go for Computer HDD or Surveillance HDD... main confusion is this.. Some say Surveillance has 5400 rpm while Normal HDD have 7200 rpm.. But write speed is better in Surveillance HDD. Some google search say data crash chances surveillance most . But which life span has better still i do not know.. Can you advice between  1TB Normal HDD or Surveillance HDD seagte and WD same price for both... which i go for...

Go for  1TB Normal HDD .

Regards

The AchieVer

@maxlife

I would suggest that you use Macrium reflect Trial version and clone your old HDD . However, you could use any other backup software , but perhaps, Macrium is my favorite .

After you replace the HDD , you can restore it , Like this all your settings and applications will remain intact. You won't have to re-install them.

Regards

2 minutes ago, The AchieVer said:

@maxlife

I would suggest that you use Macrium reflect Trial version and clone your old HDD . However, you could use any other backup software , but perhaps, Macrium is my favorite .

After you replace the HDD , you can restore it , Like this all your settings and applications will remain intact. You won't have re-install them.

Regards

Thanks dear.. For long times i am using Aomei Backupper and Aomei products.. very simple  and easy interface. I already done it. Few months back i tested macrium also but wn i compare with Aomei.. Aomei is little bit faster. I am using for last 5 years ... no issue at all. Before i was using Acronis but too big or complicated interface... 

Again thanks for advice my friend@The AchieVer

• Administrator

Something I have been wondering from some time now myself. Considering all of these drives coming up and selling well online here.

Surveillance HDDs are normally 10TB and above because they are used in CCTVs.

If you are buying storage, I suggest that you buy the normal ones.

You can choose either SATA or SSD.

Do not use surveillance HDs for normal data. Some (e.g. WD Purple) disable certain error checking functions* in order to ensure uninterrupted writing to the HD. That can lead to (rare but occasional) bit errors being written. Not an issue for surveillance footage, but potentially deadly to data of course.

*One of the error checking functions effectively takes the HD offline for several seconds if an error occurs, while the HD corrects itself.

8 hours ago, FoxyRick said:

Do not use surveillance HDs for normal data. Some (e.g. WD Purple) disable certain error checking functions* in order to ensure uninterrupted writing to the HD. That can lead to (rare but occasional) bit errors being written. Not an issue for surveillance footage, but potentially deadly to data of course.

*One of the error checking functions effectively takes the HD offline for several seconds if an error occurs, while the HD corrects itself.

How is the WDC Ultrastar HC DC620 15TB for general use ??

20 minutes ago, nsan3 said:

How is the WDC Ultrastar HC DC620 15TB for general use ??

For general use? None whatsoever. It's a host-managed SMR drive. SMR is a way of writing more data (in Shingled strips) on the platter but it's best only used for archival (ETA: as in write-once, reading it a lot is fine) storage, not for data that is often changed. Host managed means whatever you plug it into needs to manage it - not your average home PC.

There are drive-managed SMR disks, which might actually be useful to me as a lot of my storage is archival rather than 'active'. I would (and do) still stick to normal HDDs though.

Archived