[SOLVED] USB Redirection Issue--VMware Horizon

Knightmare

The company for which I work recently ran into an issue. It seems to be an issue with the usb redirection feature. Whenever a user has a certain program open and the printer is plugged into their system, the program will lockup and the only way to close it is through task manager. We have also recently noticed that after closing the app in task manager, the user is unable to open the program again because there are additional bootstrapper processes that need to be killed before the program can start again. I had one of the user unplug their print from their machine and the program unfroze and started working normally. Then I had them plug in the printer--which froze the program--but I had them print from another program. I told them to print from Word with the printer plugged in and the program still running, and they were able to print the document with no issue.

This seems to be happening for a handful of users but not all of them. I'm wondering if having multiple devices is confusing this program. Maybe they have plugged in another printer to their computer and the vdi is trying to read two different printers at the same time. The users are using VMWare Horizon Client version 4.4 and they are using view agent version 7.1 to install usb redirection. I have tried updating one of the users to Horizon Client 4.10 but the same issue happened. I know that the view agent is on version 7.7 on the website and I've recommended updating the client, but my team lead advised that they are unable to update the client because the version of the agent has to match the version of the connection server; the connection server is version 7.1, so the agent has to be version 7.1 as well. I thought about suggesting that they update the connection server, but it seems like one of those obvious statements that you don't make because if it were possible, they would have done it.

It's kind of my responsibility to fix this specific issue, but I have no idea how to permanently fix the issue. Currently I'm just telling users to unplug the printer until they absolutely need to use it. Any help for a more permanent solution would be appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: I was working with the user last week. Russell and I confirmed that it is in fact an issue with the USB Redirection. We had the user work normally with the printer unplugged and she didn't have any issues. Then I had her plug the printer into the system with the program still up and running. She was able to work for about 30 seconds but when she made a diary item, the application became unresponsive. We then did a force close of the program and tried to open the application again, but the program would not open. We then closed the bootstrapper.exe file through task manager and another exe that was connected to the program, which allowed us to open the program again without needing to reboot. We opened the program again and had her work with the printer plugged in. Again the program became unresponsive so we had her uncheck the printer through the connect usb device menu at the top of the horizon menu and the program started responding again. When the program froze, we had the user attempt to print from another application and they were able to print just fine.

• 4 weeks later...

We ended up figuring out the problem. It was Symantec DLP that was causing the issue. Apparently, the security team "made adjustments" to correct the issue.

Archived