which motherboard is best for intel i7 8700K?

mjall

Hi there folks,

I am building a custom gaming pc for a friend and his budget is limited, I am planning on choosing for him the intel i7 8700k and wondering what suggestions for a mid-price motherboard yet good for performance without being sluggish?

any suggestions or experience with this processor?

thanks

• Replies 12
  • Views 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the main purpose of this PC? If he's really on a tight budget, then he shouldn't push for 8700K.

Sacrificing other parts for high-end CPU like this one isn't really a good idea.

30 minutes ago, mjall said:

Hi there folks,

I am building a custom gaming pc for a friend and his budget is limited, I am planning on choosing for him the intel i7 8700k and wondering what suggestions for a mid-price motherboard yet good for performance without being sluggish?

any suggestions or experience with this processor?

thanks

If the budget is limited then the i7 8700k is wasting money. Better to get Intel Core i5-9600K which is same 6 cores but no hyper threading. Hyper threading is overrated anyway it will give you 0.7 fps more, it cannot even do independent threads, if you need 12 cores then buy Ryzen. Use the extra money on a better video card with atleast 8GB video ram.

22 hours ago, kabino said:

Why no ryzen? Is much better imho, very cheap and you can upgrade your cpu with the next generation.

I never tried ryzen myself, does it make a big difference, if I go with Ryzen, do I need to invest in a high end GPU as well?

22 hours ago, trufpal said:

What's the main purpose of this PC? If he's really on a tight budget, then he shouldn't push for 8700K.

Sacrificing other parts for high-end CPU like this one isn't really a good idea.

his aim is to play games on the PC; thanks for the feedback

It all depends on what game he plays, what screens he uses (4K or 1080p) or at what level of detail does he want to play... A Good GPU is also essential for this

1 hour ago, mjall said:

I never tried ryzen myself, does it make a big difference, if I go with Ryzen, do I need to invest in a high end GPU as well?

yes, 10 fps in game :D what the hell. If you play on full hd you don't see any difference and any video card is good. Ryzen 2700 is a very good investiment

"Intel i9 9900K vs AMD Ryzen 7 2700X "....100% more expensive for 15% improvement...." Intel Docet"

7 minutes ago, kabino said:

yes, 10 fps in game :D what the hell. If you play on full hd you don't see any difference and any video card is good. Ryzen 2700 is a very good investiment

"Intel i9 9900K vs AMD Ryzen 7 2700X "....100% more expensive for 15% improvement...." Intel Docet"

thanks for the advice, which motherboard do you suggest with the Ryzen 2700 then?

7 minutes ago, kabino said:

I read in some magazines that AMD comes bundled with a cooler fan already and does not require a separate purchase for one, correct?

What's your budget?

"I read in some magazines that AMD comes bundled with a cooler fan already and does not require a separate purchase for one, correct?"

Is included on box: cpu + fan.

"AMD's 2nd-gen Ryzen CPUs are faster, cheaper, and all come with Wraith coolers. ... It's bundled with AMD's premium Wraith Prism cooler, which features illuminated RGB fan blades. The $299 Ryzen 7 2700 has 8-cores and 16-threads with clock speeds ranging from 3.2GHz to 4.1GHz."

11 minutes ago, kabino said:

What's your budget?

"I read in some magazines that AMD comes bundled with a cooler fan already and does not require a separate purchase for one, correct?"

Is included on box: cpu + fan.

"AMD's 2nd-gen Ryzen CPUs are faster, cheaper, and all come with Wraith coolers. ... It's bundled with AMD's premium Wraith Prism cooler, which features illuminated RGB fan blades. The $299 Ryzen 7 2700 has 8-cores and 16-threads with clock speeds ranging from 3.2GHz to 4.1GHz."

my budget is about 350-400$ for the MB

Wow. You can buy any kind :D 

Check these:

- ASRock X370 Killer SLI.
- Gigabyte Aorus AX370-Gaming 5.
- Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero.
- MSI X370 XPower Gaming Titanium.
- Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 WiFi.
- ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming.
- MSI B350M Mortar.
- ASRock AB350 Gaming K4.

• Administrator

For gaming PC, the the most important rule is never cheap out on graphics card. After the power supply, the graphics is the most important part for the gaming PC. Simply put CPU speed will only allow you to reach a certain speed. But the whole power required to run a game stands on the graphics card. Go for cheaper CPU and invest in a proper graphics card there.

Archived