CUSTOMIZED UN-INSTALLATION OF OFFICE APPS USING OFFICE DEPLOYMENT TOOL (ODT)

The AchieVer

CUSTOMIZED UN-INSTALLATION OF OFFICE APPS USING OFFICE DEPLOYMENT TOOL (ODT)

kix0vbfeoctbia1llsb1.thumb.jpg.131a876832981f98ad381e141a732307.jpg

Overview of the Office Deployment Tool

The Office Deployment Tool (ODT) is a command-line tool that you can use to download and deploy Office 365 ProPlus, Office Retail and Volume editions. The ODT gives you more control over an Office installation: you can define which products and languages are installed, how those products should be updated, and whether or not to display the install experience .

Office products installs a bundle of apps , WORD ,EXCEL, ACCESS ,PUBLISHER ,OUTLOOK, POWERPOINT ,SKYPE FOR BUSINESS, ONEDRIVE FOR BUSINESS and ONENOTE .

At times not all the apps are required and the user wants to install only a few selected apps .

This post is dedicated to guide you through, as to how to  Remove selected Office Apps from already installed Office product using ODT.

A.  Product ID'S :

These product ID'S are required in the config file to deploy the desired version of Office.

The following are Volume licensed versions of Office 2019 product ID'S :

ProPlus2019Volume 

Standard2019Volume 

ProjectPro2019Volume 

ProjectStd2019Volume 

VisioPro2019Volume 

VisioStd2019Volume

The following are Office 365 product ID'S :

O365ProPlusRetail

O365BusinessRetail

VisioProRetail

ProjectProRetail

The following are Office Retail 2019 ID'S :

Proplus2019Retail

ProjectPro2019Retail

VisioPro2019Rrtail

B. Apps ID'S Attribute :

•  ID="Access"
  •  ID="Excel"
  •  ID="Groove"
  •  ID="Lync"
  •  ID="OneDrive"
  •  ID="OneNote"
  •  ID="Outlook"
  •  ID="PowerPoint"
  •  ID="Publisher"
  • ID="Word"

For OneDrive for Business, use Groove. For Skype for Business, use Lync.

These App ID'S are required in ExcludeApp Element 

If you've already installed Office , you can use the ExcludeApp element to remove a product or App  that you've previously installed. 

C. Sample config file used to install all the Apps:

<Configuration>
    <Add OfficeClientEdition="32" Channel="Monthly" ForceUpgrade="TRUE">
        <Product ID="ProPlus2019Retail">
            <Language ID="en-us"/>
         </Product>          
    </Add>
    <Display Level="Full" AcceptEULA="TRUE"/>
    <Updates Enabled="TRUE" Channel="Monthly"/>
    <Property Name="FORCEAPPSHUTDOWN" Value="TRUE"/>
    <Property Name="SharedComputerLicensing" Value="0"/>
    <Property Name="PinIconsToTaskbar" Value="FALSE"/>
</Configuration>

D. Sample config file with ExcludeApp Element :

<Configuration>
            <Language ID="en-us"/>
            <ExcludeApp ID="OneNote"/>
            <ExcludeApp ID="Lync"/>
            <ExcludeApp ID="Groove"/>
            <ExcludeApp ID="Access"/>
            <ExcludeApp ID="Publisher"/>
            <ExcludeApp ID="OneDrive"/>
        </Product>          
    </Add>
</Configuration>

If you have previous installation of Office product , and you run the setup.exe file with the above configuration file, it will remove Onenote , Skype for business , Onedrive for business , Access and Publisher.

You could remove any of the ExcludeApp  ID from the above config file to retain that App.

NOTE: COPY AND PASTE THE ABOVE MENTIONED CONFIG FILES TO A NOTEPAD AND SAVE IT AS config.xml

STEPS INVOLVED :

1.  Download the Office Deployment Tool:

Microsoft Download Center

After downloading the file, run the self-extracting executable file, it and it'll ask you to select a folder to extract the files , create a folder by the name of " office 2019 " on your Desktop and Select it and it'll extract following files in that folder:

configuration.xml

setup.exe

YOU HAVE TO DELETE THE SAMPLE configuration.xml FILE AND COPY THE CUSTOMIZED CONFIG FILE CREATED BY YOU AS PER YOUR REQUIREMENT.

2.  Edit Configuration.XML File   

As per your requirements , you could include ExcludeApp Element in the config file to un-install the required App from your installed Office product.

3.  Un-installation of specific Apps from installed version of Office:

Once you Run the ODT , you have 2 files on your Desktop, now you can un-install specific Apps from your installed Office 2019.

• Run the ODT < you will have 2 files < delete the sample config files
  •  Now create a folder on the desktop , name it office2019 < now transfer the setup.exe and your config file in it.
  •  Run the CMD as administrator < type the following command to change the directory:
  • cd \Users\UserName\Desktop\Office2019

(where UserName has to be replaced with your device name) 

•  Now run the configure command:

setup /configure config.xml

This will start the Re-configuration of office .Once the Re-configuration is complete, you are returned to a command prompt and you can go open Office 2019 programs .

NOTES :

• This is applicable to Office 2013 , 2016 & 2019 , Retail , Volume & O365 versions . For the said purpose, Product ID'S are mentioned above - Point A

• If office is already installed on your machine , there is no need to uninstall the same. Just follow the steps as mentioned above , and you will be able to Remove the Apps not required .For the said purpose ExcludeApp Element ID'S are mentioned above.

• In future, if you desire to re-install any of the un-installed App , just remove the ExcluseApp Element from the config file , then perform the steps  2 & 3 .

Edit: Kindly refer to your office installation, 32/64 bit , Product ID , Language and Update Channel and accordingly make necessary changes in the config file.

Download of files are not required . Credit to @MrZeb

• Replies 88
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I think your configuration files to uninstall the applications are only for those that have Office 2019 activated with a MAK key and not using KMS.

Those that activated Office 2019 using KMS are on a different channel for Volume.

<Configuration>
    <Add OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="PerpetualVL2019" ForceUpgrade="TRUE">
        <Product ID="ProPlus2019Volume">
            <Language ID="en-us"/>
            <ExcludeApp ID="Lync"/>
        </Product>          
    </Add>
</Configuration>

Also a note is needed the OfficeClientEdition value must be adjusted for 32/64 according with the Office 2019 installed if 32 or 64 bits.

@MrZeb

The above config files are for retail edition of office.

Foe volume edition, the config file shall be different. 

For 32/64 bit addition, I shall edit the post and add the same.

3 minutes ago, The AchieVer said:

@MrZeb

The above config files are for retail edition of office.

Foe volume edition, the config file shall be different. 

For 32/64 bit addition, I shall edit the post and add the same.

No, the above file works perfect to install the Volume Edition.

First of all thank you v.much for all your efforts. 

I'm wondering if you could kindly explain:

• but the download is happening in the background. Once the download is complete, .....
  • This will start the installation of office .Once the installation is complete, .....

So, you went through [1. Download] then [2. Installation] to uninstall certain apps !!

As I see this's the ExcludeApp method (NOT to uninstall specific apps from already installed C2R office) and for that purpose there's a number of tools (based on ODT) but with a ready-to-use interface and without the need for editing xml files, and also to work with offline files not to download office from the start.

I see it's much more easier and time sparing to uninstall office and reinstall it excluding all unwanted apps.

That's stated in the "Tips" window of OTP:

nnzxFIE.png

I've also asked abbodi1406 about that and here's his reply:

CJqMTX0.png

If I'm wrong, please kindly guide me to the point.

To tell the truth, I have vague understanding of the above guideline to uninstall unwanted apps from office 2019.

Please make it clearer, Topic Author.

Thanks

Regards

This post is dedicated to guide you through, as to how to  un-install selected Office Apps from already installed Office product using ODT.

If office is already installed on your machine , there is no need to uninstall . Just follow the steps as mentioned above , and you will be able to un-install the Apps not required .For the said purpose ExcludeApp Element ID'S are mentioned above.

Further, you don’t Install unwanted apps from office 2019 , it’s the other way round, you uninstall the unwanted apps from your installed office installation.

Kindly, read the post carefully and still you have issues, I will help.

1. I don't ask a question regarding any topic until I've already read it carefully and thoroughly (So thank you for your advice)
  2.  Just follow the steps as mentioned above , and ......
    Yeah and that's exactly what I'm asking about (The steps you mentioned)

27 minutes ago, DR_ADHAM said:

First of all thank you v.much for all your efforts. 

I'm wondering if you could kindly explain:

• but the download is happening in the background. Once the download is complete, .....
  • This will start the installation of office .Once the installation is complete, .....

The proper sentence would be:

a.  setup /configure config.xml

This will start the reconfiguration of office. Once the installation is complete...

I will test if to remove applications the download option is needed or not...

Just now, MrZeb said:

I will test if to remove applications the download option is needed or not...

Ok please let me know, without download and without fresh installation (of course with ExcludeApp method).

22 minutes ago, DR_ADHAM said:

Ok please let me know, without download and without fresh installation (of course with ExcludeApp method).

Just confirmed no need to download only the Setup.exe from ODT and the XML file then run setup /configure OfficeRemoveAppsConfig.xml

To avoid problems I think the XML file must have the OfficeClientEdition, Language ID and Product ID correctly set to match the presently installed Office.

@MrZeb

It will surely help members to save bandwidth and achieve the purpose.

Thanks

@The AchieVer

I re-checked it without passing through step 3 (Download Office Setup Files) because this step downloads files (and you already mentioned that) while you already have office and don't need to download it again (If office is already installed on your machine , there is no need to uninstall . Just follow the steps as mentioned above , and you will be able to un-install the Apps not required .For the said purpose ExcludeApp Element ID'S are mentioned above.)

You should have said: ((If office is already installed on your machine, no need to pass through step 2 and just jump to step 3 directly) and that's what made the confusion!!

I just ran the (configure) part as you described but as I said without step 2 (setup /download)

9KDZOKF.png

It began to install only the desired apps (without the excluding ones)

AqRk3lM.png

And when done

Wnti90O.png

I checked (office 2019) folder on the desktop and there were no files downloaded.

ipJeqvA.png

And the result is excellent, checked the "Start Menu" items and all unwanted applications are no longer there.

PS: Access icon was present just above Adguard folder.

UJkBD5N.png

Conclusion:

• It's a very successful method
  • Time saving
  • No need to uninstall office
  • No need to download any files

As a consequence, I would consider this topic as a reference and recommending it to any one facing that issue.

Sincerely I suggest that you unveil the confusion and divide it into sections; so that to uninstall specific apps from already installed office you don't need to pass through the download step. 

57 minutes ago, xhartom said:

Very informative, Dr., Keep it up. :thumbsup:

I just converted it to PDF, all information included are exclusive to @The Achiever

Thank you @The AchieVer for the topic. That's what I'm looking for a while. Can you make it clear what's the difference between selecting "Standard2019Volume" or "ProPlus2019Volume" as a Product ID? For the config.xml files on first post.

And one more thing; how this method work with msdn .iso or .img files? I already downloaded ProPlus2019Retail.img and I don't want it download the data again.

3 hours ago, v-s-l said:

Thank you @The AchieVer for the topic. That's what I'm looking for a while. Can you make it clear what's the difference between selecting "Standard2019Volume" or "ProPlus2019Volume" as a Product ID? For the config.xml files on first post.

Standard2019Volume - Microsoft Office 2019 Standard (No MS Access, No Skype)

ProPlus2019Volume - Microsoft Office 2019 Professional Plus (Includes all office programs)

https://products.office.com/en-us/business/microsoft-office-volume-licensing-suites-comparison

And one more thing; how this method work with msdn .iso or .img files? I already downloaded ProPlus2019Retail.img and I don't want it download the data again.

To remove applications you can skip the /download part only the setup /configure is needed using the ODT tool, the installation files you have are not used.

On 12/1/2018 at 12:18 AM, v-s-l said:

ODT works on C2R technology.

Have you installed office?

If yes, then just create the config file and then step 3 , no need to download, and if you haven’t installed office, then I am afraid you have to download.

Edit: Yes it works with ISO or Image files too.

hi... what is the meaning of   channel....="monthly"     in below line configuration..

can i install 180 days kms office 2019....untill office retail keys available......  pls advise what is commands for activating kms.... and for kms i hv to install office 2019 retail or 2019volume....?? ...................thanks....

13 minutes ago, maxlife said:

hi... what is the meaning of   channel....="monthly"     in below line configuration..

office client edition  - Defines whether the 32-bit or 64-bit edition of Office is downloaded or installed.

channel monthly - Provide users with the newest features of Office as soon as they're available. 

16 minutes ago, maxlife said:

can i install 180 days kms office 2019....untill office retail keys available......  pls advise what is commands for activating kms.... and for kms i hv to install office 2019 retail or 2019volume....?? ...................thanks....

Use the tool Office 2013-2019 C2R Install v6.4.7 Final Ratiborus to install office 2019 .

Once, the installation is complete ,convert the retail edition to volume , then activate office.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:48 PM, v-s-l said:

First: If you've office 2019 already installed on your device; then there's no need to download any files.

Second: You can install it offline and no need to download any files also (even for fresh installation) as long as you have the source files.

1. Double-click your (.img) source of office 2019, then it'll be mounted as a virtual CD [We'll need the drive letter; "F" in my case]
    ksyNQYc.png

OR, alternatively we can choose the directory that contain "Office" folder (not Office folder path itself)
    ["E:\Office 2019" in my case]
    sB4nSKB.png

2. Edit the "config" file as following:
    <Configuration>
        <Add SourcePath="F:\" OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Monthly" ForceUpgrade="TRUE">
                <Language ID="en-us"/>
                <ExcludeApp ID="Lync"/>
            </Product>          
        </Add>
    </Configuration>

OR

<Add SourcePath="E:\Office 2019" OfficeClientEdition="64" Channel="Monthly" ForceUpgrade="TRUE">

Edit it according to your data:

• SourcePath="F:\" ===> Replace (F or E:\Office 2019) according to the letter of your virtual CD, or the directory that contain "Office" folder.
    • OfficeClientEdition="64" ===> 32 or 64 according to your need (32 or 64 Bit).
    • ExcludeApp ===> Add or remove elements according to your needs.

3. Run the process as described in the main topic;
    Open cmd as admin and run the following 2 commands in order (hit "Enter" after each one):

cd \Users\UserName\Desktop\ODT 2019

- That path supposing that your ODT folder is on the desktop
    - "UserName" to be replaced by your device user name
    - "ODT 2019" to be replaced by the name of the folder you're saving ODT files in

setup /configure config.xml

- "config.xml" is the new editted one

Archived