Acronis image 2019 Image and restore question

Betts1964

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible to to connect my laptop to my desktop  via USB cable and doing a a full system image? If yes, could i restore the image as well by usb cable? I would be using acronis true image 2019 to do this.

thx

•  

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bergy1964 said:

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible to to connect my laptop to my desktop  via USB cable and doing a a full system image? If yes, could i restore the image as well by usb cable? I would be using acronis true image 2019 to do this.

thx

No. It could be done if you connect them using a local Network or by using a cross link Ethernet cable.

It's possible to perform a full system imaging of the laptop onto the desktop without connecting them, via USB cable — however, if connecting them with a USB cable gives you some kind of perverted sense of enjoyment, I'm sure Acronis would raise no objections. :P

Seems you are confusing this technology with what LAPLINK Used to do via its LAPLINK PARALEL CABLE.. 

Now, there once was a USB Transfer kit that had those two ends on it…

main-qimg-daa892fd2deaf26db2d6ee2040b6d2

But see that big huge thing in the middle they are going out of their way to emphasize and show off? That thing is what makes the difference between frying one or both computers… and actually facilitating a transfer of information.

This is a Belkin Easy Transfer Cable… and it was made to use with Windows 7, to be able to transfer information easily between one computer and another.

So if you had asked… Is it possible to connect two Windows 7 computers with a USB cable to transfer information… I would have said “Yes” and pointed you to that device. Why? You would have provided information about the task you were looking to accomplish and information about the specific systems. Note how I’ve been specific about the OS here. Why? That cable was made to use functions of Windows 7. It requires different, specific software to work with Windows 8… but there are no Windows 8 or 10 compatible drivers. You’d have to use the Windows 7 drivers, and the Windows 8 specific software to TRY to get it to work on Windows 10, and you likely won’t. We gave up on getting the one we had at work, to work with Windows 10, and switched to PC Mover software over the network. Yes, but it is not just a USB cable alone.

Ignoring USB-C for now, what we used to see as traditional USB ports on computers, are the USB-A ports.

First, a rule: You can never connect an A port directly to another A port with a simple legal USB cable. Simple legal USB cables are cables with an A connector on one end and a B on the other. They will let you connect between an A port and a B port. Devices with B ports are typically not computers, but devices like phones, tablets, printers, hard disk drives, SD/CF card readers and such. The reason is power. These devices may be powered by the computer. B port devices may take in power, but never supply power; A port devices may supply power but never take in power. You never want to connect two A ports together because then both could try and power each another, which is a bad thing.

So, how can you connect 2 computers, both of which have USB-A ports, together, if you can’t do A to A, and cables are always A-B?

You can use what’s not exactly as simple as a cable, but a cable that has electronics in the middle of the two “A”’s, to bridge them together.

In fact, what the cable does is contain electronics to provide a networking layer that the software (the OS, like Windows), then uses to network to the other computer. In fact, most of them simply just implement USB-to-Ethernet, then Ethernet-to-USB. It’s not much different than connecting both computers with Wifi or Ethernet to the same network, except now the network is simply established over USB, or the Ethernet bit is completely embedded inside the electronics in the cable.

Such cables can be useful when all you want is to transfer files between the two computers, such as when migrating from one computer to another:

MrZeb has the right answer..

It would be only useful for transfer of small  chunks of data and not SEVERAL GIGABYTES . ... 

Doing it via network or via DAS is faster (probably more  reliable) 

ok then is this possible, i will image my laptop on to a new external hard rive. Then transfer that image onto my desktop and then installing my new ssd into my laptop and transferring it to my old internal drive from my laptop and restoring the info on old hdd to new ssd in laptop?

Hope this makes sense.

thx

@bergy1964

What I understand is that you want to replace your laptops HDD with a new SSD,

is this the case?

1 hour ago, bergy1964 said:

ok then is this possible, i will image my laptop on to a new external hard rive. Then transfer that image onto my desktop and then installing my new ssd into my laptop and transferring it to my old internal drive from my laptop and restoring the info on old hdd to new ssd in laptop?

Hope this makes sense.

You are planing to do extra steps that are not needed!

Is the new SSD the same size or bigger that the old HDD that you have now on the laptop?

Programs like Acronis can create a botable flash drive that you use to boot the computer and restore the image backup you created before to an new empty drive, you only need to create the image backup to the external hard drive.

The best you could do is to use the disk coloning feature of Acronis true image . 

7 hours ago, The AchieVer said:

The best you could do is to use the disk coloning feature of Acronis true image . 

Yes, I did. Installed ssd and did restore and everything worked great. Thx for all your help guys.  :)

15 minutes ago, bergy1964 said:

Yes, I did. Installed ssd and did restore and everything worked great. Thx for all your help guys.  :)

I am glad we could help you to resolve your issue.🙂

For Thanks, please use the heart shaped button at the bottom right hand.

Archived