Laptop to USB Drive to Laptop

Alpha1BA

What is the simplest method to achieve transfering an exact copy of a Win10 system from one laptop to another via a usb flash drive?

• Replies 6
  • Views 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Make a bootstick of an imaging tool like Macrium Reflect f. e. and make a full image of your system (stored to the stick)

- Boot the stick on your other laptop and restore the image you made with the Redeploy function of Macrium Reflect

You're done.

Hi, thanks for that. I'm presuming I need to have windows installed on the "other" laptop in this case? and once restored image will it be an exact replica of the donor laptop with all settings/services etc?? with no trace of any other installations etc. I want a clean exact copy from one to the other via usb

No, you don't need to have Windows installed on the other Laptop. I would recommend to use Strelec's boot disc, that offers  some partitioning and imaging  tools. So you can erase everything on the other laptop before restoring the image....and yes, it will be a clean, exact copy of your system with all settings, services...

If you are using macrium reflect redeployment feature , it’s just like migrating from one pc to another with an exact copy of the donor system.

Hope this helps 🙂

+1 for macrium

most backup/imaging tools now do a restore on different hardware feature, but macriums has been the most reliable for me.

Important note: On the target laptop, if there is a vendor supplied recovery cd/usb key creation program (usually in a folder named after the vendor in programs), create the recovery media before you do your imaging, if you ever need to revert to factory settings  or to go backwards, you'll want this.....if you overwrite a factory recovery partition its gone for goodsies

Archived