SSD question

Betts1964

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Save yourself the frustration and just buy Samsung or Intel like a sane person would....

Samsung for performance

Intel for (debatable in this day and age) higher reliability

16 hours ago, bergy1964 said:

Are silicon power internal ssds any good?

Narrow your search to a particular product line or set of model numbers, SP uses a wide variety of procured parts so they may have excellent products as well as terrible ones. My advice is to look for ones with 3D NAND, as the chips are most likely sourced from Crucial if you are concerned about quality. I suggest looking for a sale on the Crucial BX300 which is MLC NAND but they are selling out the BX300 stocks to replace it with the cheaper BX500 series so if you get a great deal it's a top quality drive.

12 hours ago, bergy1964 said:

Is gigabyte a good brand for an ssd?

I certainly would not recommend to anyone to purchase a bargain brand SSD even if it's from GB.

Just buy a Samsung. Prices are going down and I would really hate myself losing all my data because I didn't want to spend a bit more for better quality.

Israeli_Eagle
26 minutes ago, lurch234 said:

I certainly would not recommend to anyone to purchase a bargain brand SSD even if it's from GB.

Just buy a Samsung. Prices are going down and I would really hate myself losing all my data because I didn't want to spend a bit more for better quality.

Samsung lately became a bit worse, has big problems with AMD systems and such.
But for example SanDisk Ultra 3D/WD Blue (they are identical) work perfect is any system.

1 hour ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Samsung lately became a bit worse,

Lately is an understatement. I was surprised by what you said so I looked it up. It seems to be a problem with AMD as far back as 2013!!

Someone made a support request to Samsung back then and this was the answer he received:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Samsung SSD Support regarding your concerns and inquiries. You mentioned you have an AMD processor and chipset. The reason I mention this is because Samsung SSDs do not work correctly with machines that contain AMD chipsets. Our SSDs are recommended for use with Intel chipsets and because of this you will see performance issues with your SSD. Now concerning your second issue, the AMD chipset may also be responsible for the sleep mode problem that your having. If your looking for maximum performance from your SSD, the best environment would essentially be a windows based machine with a Intel processor and chipset.

Too bad. They still are great SSDs when paired with intel chipset.

Israeli_Eagle
37 minutes ago, lurch234 said:

Lately is an understatement. I was surprised by what you said so I looked it up. It seems to be a problem with AMD as far back as 2013!!

Tho I never have any problems with 850 Pro, only 860 Evo bombed errors in events no matter which AHCI is used. Partly is AMD's AHCI also buggy, MS Standard AHCI 1.0 is totally stable and same speed.

Archived