[Solved] Shut Down.exe missing. Success

bigjohn

G'day everyone,

In windows 10 enterprise 64, I deleted shutdown and restart shortcuts from some backed up folders, and in doing that I disable my good desktop and taskbar shortcuts. The message I get when I click on the shortcuts or try to create new shortcuts is: shutdown.exe file is missing from Windows\system32. Cam I copy and paste Shutdown.exe file from Windows\system32, Windows 8.1 64? Would I mess it up?  I will hate myself if I had to re install the OS and software.

I'll be very grateful for any help.

Thanks for reading

John

Capture.PNG

• Replies 9
  • Views 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. You can delete how many shortcuts as You want, it doesn't affect anything and do not delete any file;
2. You said that get error message - "shutdown.exe file is missing from Windows\system32" - have You looked, is it there or is it really missing?
3. You said, your computer is 64-bit..., then it should be also in the folder %windir%\SysWOW64 (%windir%\SysWOW64\shutdown.exe), but these fails are a bit different.
4. not recommend to replace it from Windows 8, even if they are the same, it may not work. But If You cannot replace with original (cannot imagine why), then try, but I think, it isn't the solution.

NB! do not write 'C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe' but write %windir%\system32\shutdown.exe (maybe Your system is not on the drive C:\, but is somewhere else)

In case you'd like to try, here's the (untouched) shutdown.exe from the System32 directory of my 8.1 (x64) Professional:—

Edit:

Have deleted my link since the hash-check reveals that the shutdown.exe is different for the Pro and Enterprise Editions.

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

In windows 10 enterprise 64, I deleted shutdown and restart shortcuts from some backed up folders,

Since your system is WIn10 ENT x64

If u would like to try,

here is shutdown.exe from my Win10 ENT LTSB x64.

sd.jpg  sd1.jpg

Get it from HERE

8 minutes ago, shwescorpion said:

Since your system is WIn10 ENT x64

If u would like to try, here is shutdown.exe from my Win10 ENT LTSB x64.

Sorry, but he or she haven't still said, that it is missing at all. Said only Windows cannot find, these are absolutely different things. 

Yes, it is missing. I checked system32 in W8.1 and in W10. W8.1 is fine but the file is missing in W10.

shwescorpion Thank you for the link, but, when I tried to download the file but I get this error when I open the rar file.

Capture2.JPG

What happened is that the files did not delete so I unlocked them with IObit Unlocker, then they were gone but affected the good shortcuts as IObit Unlocker deleted the shutdown.exe file to free the shortcuts. 

Success. I downloaded it in safe mode with eset disable using Internet explorer, then got the latest Ver. of WinRar.

shwescorpion Thank you very much for your help. All is good and new shortcuts are working well.

This thread can be closed now.

John

shutdown_exe.JPG

• Administrator

Good to see it's fixed. But I wonder running this command in safe mode would have fixed it:

sfc /scanfile=c:\windows\system32\shutdown.exe

Anyone expertised in it would like to look into it.

Archived