After over a month, Microsoft re-releases the Windows 10 October 2018 Update

nir

1540915575_patchedagain_story.jpg

Microsoft's Windows 10 October 2018 Update has been off to a rough start so far. After being released to production well over a month ago, users started upgrading and found that their files were being deleted. Just four days later, the firm pulled the update from Windows Update.

Now, here we are five weeks after it was initially released, and Microsoft is re-releasing Windows 10 version 1809. This news comes after users reported a couple of weeks ago that extracting a ZIP file no longer provides a dialog asking if you want to overwrite a file. Like the issue of files actually being deleted, this was reported in the Feedback Hub months before the initial release.

The firm made the following change to the Windows 10 update history page for version 1809:

On November 13, 2018, we will begin the re-release of the Windows 10 October Update (version 1809), Windows Server 2019, and Windows Server, version 1809. We encourage you to wait until the feature update is offered to your device automatically.

When Microsoft released the Windows 10 April 2018 Update earlier this year, it changed the way that new feature updates are delivered.

Normally, it wouldn't show up in Windows Update until it was determined that your hardware and drivers are compatible. If you wanted it before then, you could force the upgrade using the Update Assistant app.

But when version 1803 launched, Microsoft changed it so that anyone that hit "Check for updates" in Windows Update got it, labeling those people as "seekers" and assuming that anyone checking for updates must want a feature update, rather than a cumulative update or new drivers. Windows 10 version 1803 had its own array of problems, but that didn't stop Microsoft from getting even more aggressive.

With Windows 10 version 1809, it actually skipped over the Release Preview ring of the Windows Insider Program. Release Preview is specifically designed for testing updates before they're released to the public. Unlike the Fast and Slow rings, there are no preview builds; if it's in Release Preview, this build is slated to roll out to production unless something goes wrong. People who sign up for this ring are the actual seekers that want the update early.

Microsoft did say a few weeks ago that it's adding a new feature to the Feedback Hub that will allow Insiders to label the severity of the bugs they report. Unfortunately, the company didn't indicate that moving forward, it will be utilizing the Windows Insider Program rings that it has set up for itself, or that it will be less aggressive in rolling out future updates.

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 843
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Microsoft Re-Releases Windows 10 Version 1809

The October 2018 Update is once again up for grabs

Microsoft has finally resumed the rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809), more than one month after the company suspended it due to critical bugs.

The company originally published Windows 10 version 1809 on October 2, and users were allowed to update their computers by simply checking for updates in Windows Update. Additionally, the company also released standalone ISOs for clean-installs and made the October update available via the Media Creation Tool.

Only a few days later, however, Microsoft decided to suspend the rollout due to a critical bug causing the removal of user files stored in libraries.

While the number of devices impacted by the issue was said to be very small, Microsoft pulled all download methods for the October update and instead recommended users to avoid installing it from other sources.

In the meantime, Microsoft focused entirely on fixes for the October 2018 Update, and they were all shipped to insiders in the Slow and Release Preview rings for testing. However, the company remained completely tight-lipped on anything related to the re-release date of the October update, choosing to keep all specifics secret until development of all fixes was completed.

Get it now from Windows Update

Beginning today, you can download the October 2018 Update once again from Windows Update, and all the fixes that the company worked on since the early October retirement are built-in. This means everything should work smoothly on your system, though as we learned the hard way, there’s no guarantee this is indeed the case.

It remains to be seen how many users would rush to install the October update right now, as it’s believed that people treat Windows updates more cautiously these days, especially after the original fiasco.

The October 2018 Update rollout still takes place in stages, so the update won’t be offered automatically via Windows Update to all devices. The Media Creation Tool download method, however, still works.

Source

18 hours ago, Karlston said:

I believe that more interesting than the announcement of Microsoft about the re-release of infamous 1809 is are the readers comments; 86 at the moment I read the reference. My recommendation is to go through them. Notwithstanding some sarcastic comments my overall impression is that this new release looks free of the load of bugs of the original release, there is no concrete complaint. So at it's due moment I hope to get the update for my computer and I hope it won't create any further disaster.

Its no different than the 1st release  besides it got a few more updates slip streamed in ,  You have to wait to spring or be a insider to get  a new release , people  who already installed it can do the cumulative update and  it's the same.  Anyone that don't back there data up this day and time   with ransomware around needs there head examined  .:yes:

The 1st iso release of 1809 just shows how careless many Windows users are more than anything .  A  number different things could happen to cause you to not be able to recover your data at any given time  . 1. Like your hard drive /SSD could  go out happen to me before  ,  2. You could use a 3rd party uninstall program  and uninstall something that botch windows were you can't boot back into windows. 3.  You could install a bad driver and not be able to boot into windows , 3. A windows update could botch your PC to were you can't boot into windows. 4. You could get infected with ransomware and  all your data become encrypted .  This is just a few things that i know can happen I'm sure there are more.  If you had any sense when testing new OS upgrades you would prepare for the worst to happen .:lmao:

And sucking up to Microsoft don't make   Windows 10 bugs go away,  if it did  it would be bug free , with the millions of insiders they have and still never get it right  . By the time they get a version of Windows 10 stable they force the next version  full of bugs on consumers and that's why Windows 10 has such a bad rap sheet . And that's why I use Windows 8.1 and Linux and sit back and laugh at Microsoft and the people who keep installing it over and over  expecting to get different results .

The notifications in the action center aren’t working....... 1809 still seems to be work in progress 

Archived