OLD IS GOLD, share your memories about older software versions

DR_ADHAM

***OFF TOPIC***

how about old games¿,

i remember myself kiling time with win95 games like: c&c gold edition, half life blue shift, lola virtual babe, red alert yuri revenge, gta 1 and london, worms armageddon, carmageddon 1 and 2, elasto mania(😆),

also dos games was best childhood ever: doom 1 and 2, heretic, hexen, wacky wheels, hocus pocus, whiplash, hugo, big red racing and many more,

this was truly fun at the 90's

• Replies 71
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/10/2018 at 12:44 AM, PsychedelicShaman said:

Old Winamp, SoulseekNS, eMule, DAMN NFO Viewer. Im also starting to miss the beauty, stability and simplicity of Windows 7, seeing that Windows 10 is becoming more buggy and more "smartphonish" looking with every new feature update.

Still operating on it on my old lap, tried every other version passing by win xp, vista, 8, 8.1 till win 10 and everytime I eventually return to win 7.

On 11/10/2018 at 2:18 AM, lurch234 said:

Lol. It was installed so long ago, I had to run the installer to know. Yes, it has the Ask toolbar but you have a choice not to install it.

Besides, my Eset IS flags it as a PUP and asks me to clean it up before the installer even has the chance to present me with the window that let's you decide if you want that crap or not.

The same for v9.7

• Administrator
On 11/10/2018 at 5:41 PM, Recruit said:

Didn't know you are a passionate gamer! :P

Regards,

;)

I thought every knew where my avatar comes from.

On 11/11/2018 at 3:09 AM, 9769259 said:

***OFF TOPIC***

how about old games¿,

i remember myself kiling time with win95 games like: c&c gold edition, half life blue shift, lola virtual babe, red alert yuri revenge, gta 1 and london, worms armageddon, carmageddon 1 and 2, elasto mania(😆),

also dos games was best childhood ever: doom 1 and 2, heretic, hexen, wacky wheels, hocus pocus, whiplash, hugo, big red racing and many more,

this was truly fun at the 90's

For me, this remains among the best though.

Another program which I prefer in older form, is Skype — find the V7 much more manageable than the existing V8, in terms of prevention from phoning home and also granular options for configuration (not to mention unsolicited advertisements.)

Here's a blast from the past... Who remembers using cthugha visualizer?  It started life in dos and eventually a winamp plugin but I still consider it to be the father of all music visualizations we see in all players now days.

My Blast from the past comes from 2012 by Alphawaves @MDL I still use this today on latest version windows 10 1809 can be found here

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-download-integrator.36058/

Windows Download Integrator is what I still use to extract & intergrate drivers aswell as intergrate updates create iso's and many more tasks.

I compiled a list of the last 'bearable' software versions I know of (at their golden age):

System

Java: 8 build 66 (x64) / 8 build 131 (x86)

Windows: XP Pro SP2 (+ IE8) / 7 Enterprise SP1 (+ IE11) / Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 2016

Office

Microsoft Office: Enterprise 2007 (XP) - Professional Plus 2010 (Vista & 7) / 2013 (8 & +)

Office Tab: Enterprise 11.00 (2007) / 12.00 (2010) / 13.00 (2013 & +)

Foxit PhantomPDF: Business 7.0.6

Help & Manual: 7.3.6

Multimedia

VLC Media Player: 2.2.6

Google Earth: Pro 7.1.5

Mirillis Action: 1.30.0

Internet

Firefox: Waterfox 40

Chrome: Chromium 52

Opera: 46

Internet Download Manager (IDM): 6.31.3

PeerBlock: 1.1 r518

BitTorrent: Plus 7.9.2

Optimization

CCleaner: 5.32 Pro / Tech

Revo Uninstaller: Pro 3

Hard Disk

Minitool Partition Wizard: Server 9.1

HDD Regenerator: 1.71

File Shredder: 2.5

Archiver

7-Zip: ZStandard 17.00 R2

WinRAR: 5.60

Graphics
IcoFX: 2.12

Photofiltre: Studio X 10.10.1

PhotoScape: 3.6.5

Text Editor

Notepad++: 6.8

Sublime Text: 3 build 3126 (Normal / Dev)

Protection

SandBoxie: 5.22

Shadow Defender: 1.4.0.665 (Win < 10) / Latest (Win10 & +)

Network

Telerik Fiddler: 4.6.3.44034

HTTP Debugger Pro: 8.5

Navicat: Premium 12

Virtualization

Oracle VM VirtualBox: 4 (Reversing) / 5.1

VMWare Workstation: Pro 12

MEmu: 3.5.0.0

Explorer Shell

EJIE Clover: 3.0

HashTab: 6.0.0.28

Repack

Inno Setup Compiler: 5.5.9u

23 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Another program which I prefer in older form, is Skype — find the V7 much more manageable than the existing V8, in terms of prevention from phoning home and also granular options for configuration (not to mention unsolicited advertisements.)

I tried to stop updating Skype but it forces updates and if you don't agree it self disables.

4 hours ago, bigjohn said:
On 11/14/2018 at 4:25 PM, dcs18 said:

I tried to stop updating Skype but it forces updates and if you don't agree it self disables.

It's been almost over a year since I reverted to the V7, without Skype being able to auto-update itself to the V8 — it's been disabled, via group policy:—

rq6FexH.png

• Administrator

Anyone remembers this. Made my first slideshow or a movie with it. :P

Not a software, but a great software like thing that came with the OS was this. It was one of the most beautifully designed UI I had seen - even now I feel it is one of the best looking UI I have seen.

10 hours ago, 9769259 said:

you should try this:

https://further-beyond.itch.io/wolf3dvr

Thanks for the link. I wish I had the hardware for it.

Been using Office 2010 since upgrading from Office XP. No regrets and do not intend to upgrade at-least for the foreseeable future.

On 11/14/2018 at 10:53 AM, Rekkio said:

Text Editor

Notepad++: 6.8

I prefer AKELPAD 4.9.8, free text editor which can be redirected to replace Windows' native Notepad.

How to forget the earliest versions of graphical interfaces from m$,

Windows 3.1

Although I use the latest (5.49.6856) CCleaner on my own systems, have willfully left all my client machines at an older version (5.45.6611) — it brings an advantage to SysAdmins. ^_^

I still use Office 2010 because of the "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" app!

I do not intend to change office 2010 and will only change to office 2016 (because I already have the backup of the 2016 activation) when Microsoft stops supporting it.
Only change office when the 2010 dies!

On 11/9/2018 at 6:52 PM, straycat19 said:

Windows 3.11  The last version of windows where you could actually control your entire system from what order system files and programs loaded in, to where they loaded in memory during startup using the autoexec.bat and config.sys files,  and then control the action of Windows thru the win.ini and system.ini files.  Though Windows 95 kept the win.ini and system.ini files they were mainly just for show since all the functions they normally controlled were programmed into Windows core modules.

Yes,  I miss Progman and Winfile.

• 2 months later...

I wonder if anyone remembers Restoreit from windows xp days. Man I loved that software. It was damn near perfect backup and restore utility. Almost exactly as good as and fucntioned exactly like time machine. I used it to go back to a version where  I had saved precisely a single file. Nothing today comes close to it.

On 11/10/2018 at 4:09 AM, vitorio said:

Lotus 123. It was used in an IBM model XT with a floppy drive 5.25 inches. Need to insert the Lotus 123 floppy to load the software.

it was fun back them.

Not as now where IT Security has so many restrictions.

Let's see here, still got a box running Windows 2000 Server (AMD Athlon), further behind Win98 on old HP Pentium Desktop

further back in the way back machine CPM, CPM80,CPM86, CCPM86, MPM86 of course DOS

ZCPR3 BYE/PBBS when I ran a board and did Fido stuff, Teletype ASR33...

Heathkit computers H-8, H89, Z100 a Compupro S-100 system, then DOS based, Lantastic, 100 node PCBoard, USR HST's with "Doors" 

enuff of the time machine

-Snoopz

Although I immensely ❤️ Windows 7 for its simplicity and functionality..I still miss Windows XP; the major overhaul in the UI department, the plug and play capability, Powertoys, kernel improvements etc. I rocked the Zune theme from day one and kept using it until I upgraded to windows 7 Ultimate 😁

On 11/9/2018 at 9:48 PM, lurch234 said:

I also use a nice little utility called Bandwidth Meter Pro which hasn't been updated since 2008

I am still using this application too, on Windows 10 x64 and everything in-between.

I'd also like to give a shout-out for Dependency Walker 2.2, which was pretty freaking wonderful on XP, but chucks a few weird results nowadays...

dw22.png

Archived