OLD IS GOLD, share your memories about older software versions

DR_ADHAM

old-is-gold.thumb.png.1480795680866dbb5d51298d6fdeec8c.png

No doubt, most of us are obsessed with the evolution of new software versions

BUT, for sure most also prefer some older versions for a specific(specific) program(s) and even when downloading and installing new versions it's only to figure it out

To give an example, I'm still using TechSmith SnagIt 8.2.3 released on May 2007, I'm so comfortable with it and am not going to replace it with any newer version whatever the options added ..  Also, I know a friend having a digital photography studio working on Photoshop Lightroom 2.0

If any one preferring older versions for popular software, please share memories.

• Replies 71
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer the older Firefox 52.9.0 ESR due to its backward compatibility with several add-ons and also for its drop dead looks when compared to the hideous Quantum.

The downside . . . . is the halt to security updates — but then, an AdGuard on a extremely paranoid policy covers my back (far better than Mozilla will ever.)

knowledge-Spammer

1 adguard version 5 was good times

2 Shadow Defender all good no matter the version

3 Windows10FirewallControl plus  version older versions befor they made it crash so we now have to update to newer versions

4 older windows

5  old looking ccleaner

For the rare occasion when I need to burn a CD, I still use Nero 7.10

I also use a nice little utility called Bandwidth Meter Pro which hasn't been updated since 2008

1 hour ago, knowledge said:

1 adguard version 5 was good times

2 Shadow Defender all good no matter the version

3 Windows10FirewallControl plus  version older versions befor they made it crash so we now have to update to newer versions

4 older windows

5  old looking ccleaner

It looks like you are historical 😅

1 hour ago, nivaldia said:

Adobe Photoshop CS3, Office 2007, Acdsee

I'm working on both on my old laptop

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who prefers some older versions of programs.

31 minutes ago, lurch234 said:

I'm using version 7.9.6.0

1.png.d45b3e2829199f19ea4d6523f02b43d6.png

41 minutes ago, lurch234 said:

Does it contain the Ask Toolbar like version 7.9 ??

Please let me know coz if the answer is NO, I'll shift to it

PsychedelicShaman

Old Winamp, SoulseekNS, eMule, DAMN NFO Viewer. Im also starting to miss the beauty, stability and simplicity of Windows 7, seeing that Windows 10 is becoming more buggy and more "smartphonish" looking with every new feature update.

I only "migrated" from Win XP to Win 7 last October...so you can guess what's coming next...yep, I'm using Office 2003, CloneDVD 2.9.3.3, ConvertXtoDVD 4, AnyDVD 7.6.9.2.

However the medical treatment I am receiving is having a positive effect because I'm now using Diskeeper 18...one small step for mankind, one giant leap for Funkyy.🤣🤣🤣

Windows 3.11  The last version of windows where you could actually control your entire system from what order system files and programs loaded in, to where they loaded in memory during startup using the autoexec.bat and config.sys files,  and then control the action of Windows thru the win.ini and system.ini files.  Though Windows 95 kept the win.ini and system.ini files they were mainly just for show since all the functions they normally controlled were programmed into Windows core modules.

1 hour ago, DR_ADHAM said:

Does it contain the Ask Toolbar like version 7.9 ??

Lol. It was installed so long ago, I had to run the installer to know. Yes, it has the Ask toolbar but you have a choice not to install it.

Besides, my Eset IS flags it as a PUP and asks me to clean it up before the installer even has the chance to present me with the window that let's you decide if you want that crap or not.

• Administrator

Forget about softwares, if it was not for Steam forcing updates on games, I would have been using long outdated versions of games too. :P

All that apart, I get worried when I see really outdated OSes on important computers such as banks and such.

Lotus 123. It was used in an IBM model XT with a floppy drive 5.25 inches. Need to insert the Lotus 123 floppy to load the software.

it was fun back them.

Not as now where IT Security has so many restrictions.

2 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Windows 3.11  The last version of windows where you could actually control your entire system from what order system files and programs loaded in, to where they loaded in memory during startup using the autoexec.bat and config.sys files,  and then control the action of Windows thru the win.ini and system.ini files.  Though Windows 95 kept the win.ini and system.ini files they were mainly just for show since all the functions they normally controlled were programmed into Windows core modules.

Straycat19....you lost me at "Windows 3.11...."😀😀😀

Nice topic!

Last week, I searched an older version of Adobe Acrobat for @vitorio on some CD/DVD(s).
I found lots of software especially from the years 2005-2013.

For those interested, that topic is here!

Maybe, if I will have some time, I will make some uploads in here, for fun. :coolwink:
But, for the moment, I am catched with lots of other projects!

11 hours ago, DKT27 said:

I would have been using long outdated versions of games too

LOL: Didn't know you are a passionate gamer! :P

Regards,

;)

16 hours ago, dcs18 said:

The downside . . . . is the halt to security updates — but then, an AdGuard on a extremely paranoid policy covers my back (far better than Mozilla will ever.)

You recommend a particular version or the better the last one ??

13 hours ago, funkyy said:

I only "migrated" from Win XP to Win 7 last October...so you can guess what's coming next...yep, I'm using Office 2003, CloneDVD 2.9.3.3, ConvertXtoDVD 4, AnyDVD 7.6.9.2.

However the medical treatment I am receiving is having a positive effect because I'm now using Diskeeper 18...one small step for mankind, one giant leap for Funkyy.🤣🤣🤣

Welcome to 2019 😂 😂

11 minutes ago, DR_ADHAM said:
16 hours ago, dcs18 said:

You recommend a particular version or the better the last one ??

For Users of the legacy flavor of Firefox, the final release (with the latest possible security updates) was the V52.9.0 ESR.

For Users who prefer the Quantum, it's would most likely be in their best interests to go with the latest releases (this though, is just an uneducated guess on my part since I've personally not ventured this path.)

Just now, dcs18 said:

For Users of the legacy flavor of Firefox, the final release (with the latest possible security updates) was the V52.9.0 ESR.

For Users who prefer the Quantum, it's would most likely be in their best interests to go with the latest releases (this though, is just an uneducated guess on my part since I've personally not ventured this path.)

What about users like me not using Firefox at all, I prefer Google Chrome and once update is released I shift to it

Instead of criticizing Chrome, I'll just make a couple of (hopefully) brief points why I prefer Firefox over other browsers.

Apart from the wide array of extension support and scope of customization, Firefox is ideal for SysAdmins like me (this is point you'll find missing from all reviews) — from the Windows point of view, it can be locked-down using a multi-layered strategy (pandering to complaints from hundreds of clients after they've changed my configuration on their machines can be traumatic.)

From the Android point of view, Firefox is the only browser which is 100% compliant with AdGuard — EOD, I have the same set of programs cross-pollinating all my machines and devices which translates into sharing the same set of filters & rules back-n-forth (actually, ends-up saving a lot of time & energy.)

Spoiler

Whatever I try to point-out about Chrome would be lying through my teeth because it's been years since I last tried it out. :P

29 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

Instead of criticizing Chrome, I'll just make a couple of (hopefully) brief points why I prefer Firefox over other browsers.

Apart from the wide array of extension support and scope of customization, Firefox is ideal for SysAdmins like me (this is point you'll find missing from all reviews) — from the Windows point of view, it can be locked-down using a multi-layered strategy (pandering to complaints from hundreds of clients after they've changed my configuration on their machines can be traumatic.)

From the Android point of view, Firefox is the only browser which is 100% compliant with AdGuard — EOD, I have the same set of programs cross-pollinating all my machines and devices which translates into sharing the same set of filters & rules back-n-forth (actually, ends-up saving a lot of time & energy.)

Hide contents

Whatever I try to point-out about Chrome would be lying through my teeth because it's been years since I last tried it out. :P

I'm one of the supporters for the theory of [minimalism] & Chrome is much more suitable for me

May be in the future I'd take your advice and shift to Firefox

2 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Instead of criticizing Chrome ...

Has Chrome fully taken over yet?

No

These 3 brave countries still have managed to resist Google's charm

• Cuba
  • Liberia
  • Eritrea

Source

Archived