What’s New for Linux Users in Windows 10 Version 1809

nir

Microsoft details WSL improvements in latest Windows version

Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) hasn’t been re-released just yet, but Microsoft took the time to highlight the most important improvements coming to the Windows Subsystem for Linux in this new release.

With the Linux world becoming a priority for Microsoft, WSL is indeed getting welcome refinements in version 1809, and it all starts with support for new distributions.

For instance, Windows 10 October 2018 Update’s WSL supports Ubuntu 18.04, which is now available in the Microsoft Store and can also be installed from the command line. WLinux, which is offered with a fee, is also up for grabs as one of the most advanced distros on Windows 10.

Lastly, OpenSuSE 15 and SLES 15 can also be downloaded from the Microsoft Store.

Ubuntu on ARM devices

The list of WSL improvements included in Windows 10 version 1809 also includes Linux line endings in Notepad, shortcuts to launch a Linux shell from File Explorer, and the possibility of running Ubuntu 18.04 on WSL on ARM devices.

“You can now run WSL and Ubuntu 18.04 on ARM devices! If you’re interested in learning more about ARM devices. When you grab Ubuntu 18.04 from the Store we can detect if you’re running an ARM device and automatically grab you the ARM version of the app,” Microsoft notes.

Beginning with Windows 10 October 2018 Update, you can also install Linux distros right from the command line, and you also get extra goodies like copy and paste support for Linux and WSL consoles. This means you can copy text from one console and paste it to another easily.

In the meantime, Windows 10 version 1809 isn’t yet available for users worldwide, as Microsoft suspended the rollout after discovering a critical bug causing the removal of user files stored in libraries. A fix is already being tested as part of the Windows Insider program, and the go-ahead button could be pressed as soon as the next week.

Source

• Replies 6
  • Views 626
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Linux users  don't use Winux,  they use real Linux  only Windows 10 users  use Winux .  Why would we want  to mess up our experience  by using it on a unstable platform ?  Its not for people  that want to get away from buggy Windows 10 versions  or consumers,  its really only for devs witch if they want to make more software for Linux on Windows i don't care witch OS they make it on.  :tooth:

Some people on Linux find the need to install windows in a VM  or use wine to use windows programs this is used way more than Winux is on Windows , but i don't  use Windows program on Linux i just boot into Windows 8.1 if I need  to use them . All  Winux  is another feature people really didn't want on Windows. Only Microsoft  wanted it to try to get DEVs  back on Windows that switch to MAC OS , but it will never be effective because all the money to be made is on Apple . WUP  has yet to be successful.  Google is fixing to port PWA  to Linux so it will be even less reason to use  Windows.. :lmao:

Its good to have a open mind,  but not so open your brain falls out    ... :lmao:

Most  all Linux users were Windows users once  even the old timers that remember the old Microsoft  and how bad they treated Linux and  dislike them a lot .  The Linux community  are small Windows users are the ones that have closed minds and put on a Windows excuse shirt with stupid reasons for not using or even trying it  , they don't want to learn and try new things . I dont how they ever expect to ever migrate to buggy Windows 10 when 90% don't know how to install there own OS ..  I used Windows everyday from 2001 -2015   and still use it some days and I know a lot about windows a lot more than i do about Linux witch I only used now for 3 years I learn something new about Linux everyday. :tease:

I still can't wrap my head around this topic. It is an honest inquiry with no sarcasm intended. What is the purpose of a Linux subsytem? To install and run things designed for a Linux OS on a Windows environment? What good does that do?

Archived