Want a Green Card? Be prepared to wait for one and a half century

nir

Living a life time may be quite easier than getting a Green Card for the highly-educated brainy Indian with exceptional abilities.

The Green Card confers upon various benefits and allowances such as to permanently live and work in the US, and not to skip the additional bragging rights. But, in recent times the considerable wait-times have prompted many to question the need for such systems.

Analysts from Cato Institute say that Indians applying under the Eb2 visa program may have to wait for 151 years to lay their hands on a Green card.

So, if you are a physician or one holding an advanced degree and carry exceptional ability be prepared to wait for 151 years to get your green card. That, if you have applied post 2017.

GCreforms, a website driven by Indian diaspora in Uncle Sam's land, shows data suggesting that the wait times have considerably increased in recent times. In fact, the wait time in 2015 was reported at 93 years.

green_card_graph1_650.jpg

Meanwhile, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) released statistics for the year 2017 on October 3. The DHS claimed that it awarded 1.12 million Green Cards in 2017. While, immigrants from China (71,565) took the maximum number of GCs, Cubans (65,028) and Indians (60,394) followed in order.

Of the GCs awarded to Indian immigrants, 39% were awarded under employment based preferances such as H1-B visas; 34% under the category of immediate relatives (spouses, children and parents); and approximately 25% under family sponsored categories (brothers and sisters). Also, Americans adopted 222 immigrant kids from India in 2017, of which 176 were females while 46 were males.

Data for 2017 suggests the number of GCs awarded to Indians dropped by 2% from the previous financial year. In 2016 the figure was 64,687 while in 2015 it was 64,116. Data also says that until April 2018, 632,219 Indian immigrants along with their spouses and minor children were waiting Green Cards.

Institutes such as CATO have been reportedly questioning Uncle Sam's congressional mandated quota policy. But with wait times running into decades, applicants are give the Eb-5 visa or Golden Visa a chance to lay their hands on a Green Card.

But even EB-5 visas have a country quota. Uncle Sam issues 10,000 Eb-5 visas every year and applications are capped at 700 per country.

There has been a call for a policy to serve US green cards on a first come first serve basis to replace the quota system. Cato Institute, in fact on its blog, called the century long wait as "absurd" while suggesting US policy makers to consider an increase in number of green cards.

Here are some reactions on Twitter:

Other Countries can immediately get Employment based Green Card except India and China. Making these two countries wait while folks from others country can get it in 6 months is discriminatory in the face of diversity. Time to end this practice. Pass #HR392 pic.twitter.com/dEUrubO0UF

— Manish Jha (@ManishJha2091) August 2, 2018

Saying it is OK to make people to wait 70 years for green card because they were born in India while others get it in 1 or 2 years is like telling Africans to sit in the back of the bus during civil rights movement. It's time for America to right the wrong once again. #HR392

— Vikram (@vikramsnest) August 15, 2018

For 28 years u hv taken d sys 4 a ride with absolutely no wait time in the Green Card line. Ppl waiting in line for 11+yrs.kids are aging out. Do u even knw what their life is like?Some1 who applied on same date alrdy got GC just a year after just coz dey were not born in India.

— Ajay Kamath (@ajaykamathb) August 14, 2018

My immigrant petition was already approved in 2011, but I still need to wait decades more for my green card just because I was born in India. If I was born in Pakistan or Nepal or any other country, my wait time would be a few months.

— Ashish (@ashish517) August 8, 2018

Top 10 Reasons to support HR392: 1) creates employment green card wait-time equality for all; 2)merit-based b/c 5-10 yrs successful US work experience > 0 work experience; 3) reduces family backlogs; 4) helps US workers by reducing incentive to hire backlogged workers from India.

— Leon Fresco (@FrescoLeon) August 5, 2018

how is it not discriminatory to folks from populous countries (India/China) when they don't stand a chance to get the a green card in their lifetime(70-150 year wait) just so that folks from less populous countries get it w/o any wait time? #HR392 makes it first come first served

— devN (@devndev) July 29, 2018

A person from Burkina Faso can get a green card in 1 to 1.5 years while for a person from India, with the same qualifications, the wait time is 70 years. How is that fair?

— Kash Spirit (@kashspirit37) July 29, 2018

@vanitaguptaCR would you support our advocacy efforts of clearing Green card backlog in Employment category for people from India and China? Current wait time is running into decades due to country quota Can you please help in getting support for #HR392 which is common sense bill pic.twitter.com/YE7yimGd2b

— Akhil Malhotra (@malhotra1981) May 8, 2018

Source

• Replies 15
  • Views 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What obligation do you people think U.S. has to foreigners? We are a laughing stock for our policies. There are "birthing hotels" in California for Chinese who abuse our immigration laws.

White U.S. citizens are the abused minority here.

The World can be a nasty place, you know it and I know it too...

11 minutes ago, MiamiNights said:

Oh, come on that ain't true by far!

Not true at all.  Just one of many right-wing conspiracy theories put forth by xenophobic bigots.

Just wondered why are you using the avatar of soviet union first cosmonaut...

fan of the series

Other than that you are my man

9 minutes ago, MiamiNights said:

Just wondered why are you using the avatar of soviet union first cosmonaut...

fan of the series

Other than that you are my man

It is a tribute to the BANNED MDL member Prosto.  He also used that avatar, and was actually a very cool guy.  He enjoyed trying to guess when the new Windows Insider builds were going to be released.

2 minutes ago, MiamiNights said:

Now , I see...

Banning people is what MDL mods do best.  He was banned for bringing a bit of levity to the forum.  I was banned for being too intelligent.  SMH.  There is  a certain clique there.  If you aren't in it whoa to you.

As I said I see, I was banned there as well, for destroying the live chat box, can you believe it 😉

WTF

Charlie Sheen style  😉

Just now, MiamiNights said:

As I said I see, I was banned there as well, for destroying the live chat box, can you believe it 😉

WTF

That is hilarious.  MDL isn't like it used to be.  The mods took down a really great thread that this guy Xinso had.  He was very very intelligent.  From China.  I learned a lot from him.  I haven't seen him there for a while.  I think he packed his bags, and left.

Sure as shit fuckin Daz still pulling the db out there, but hey..that will end soon

People there rely on other's work too much.  They don't study code, and learn how to write it.  I used to help people out.  I can't any more.  I see people asking questions about this or that, and I could give them the answer, but I can't because I am banned.  I can still see what is going on though.

Just now, MiamiNights said:

Sure as shit fuckin Daz still pulling the db out there, but hey..that will end soon

What do you mean?

motherfucker is as dry as a canion well (Daz the old grand pension dude) the laying down clown on old windows 7 injection

just ask him, why there is no MDL live chat box 😉

Yea, they won't even let s1ave77 post his digital activation, and they don't mention ANYTHING Ratiborus does even though it is a hell of a lot easier with his programs, then some of theirs. 

Well we better leave this alone.  CrazyCanuck will probably delete all this off-topic crap anyway.  LOL

"ave77 is a dude who willingly play by their insane rules, 

mark my words

till that old obsolate motherfucker "DAZ" has access to the db and administrating the forum, there will be no light up there

except for pity trials and self estimated asslicking bastards...

""shush do not let that info to anyone"

Archived