Adguard vs Ghostery

The_Minz

Hello all.

I am curious to know how Adguard compares and competes with Ghostery.

I know that the Adguard Spyware filter and Ghostery in general are saying to do similar stuff.

Now the latest version of Ghostery also has ad-blocking features.

Which one is better?

Which blocks more stuff?

Which using less resources?
Which is faster?

Which damages pages less?

Which removes more ads?

Which give greater privacy?

I am looking forward to any and ALL comments.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 26
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm using Adguard plug in for Edge - works great.

Tried Ghostery and it too works great but, I use Ebates plug in too, which Ghostery seems to block;  I wasted a few minutes to try to give it an exception but couldn't figure out how to as ebates isn't showing up in the lists of things blocked.

2 hours ago, The_Minz said:

Which one is better?

AdGuard

Which blocks more stuff?

AdGuard

Haven't ever had to measure resource consumption — I suppose both use negligible resources (they are — but add-ons.).

Which is faster?

AdGuard

Which damages pages less?

Neither add-on has the capability to damage pages.

Which removes more ads?

AdGuard

Unless customized — Ghostery.

For serious enthusiasts and experts though, neither of the above 2 add-ons would match-up to the program, Adguard for Windows. B)

knowledge-Spammer

for me adguard is number one 

but i like to understand  this

6 hours ago, The_Minz said:

Unless customized — Ghostery.

what this Ghostery privacy have that adguard not have ?

plus u can use both i think 

knowledge-Spammer

if i see video for Adguard vs Ghostery ill post it but i no see a video like that ?

8 hours ago, dcs18 said:

This is not true.

I've used Adguard for Windows and seen page damage. Videos not loading, or Ad-blocker is being detected and complained about, pics not loading, etc.

8 hours ago, dcs18 said:

For serious enthusiasts and experts though, neither of the above 2 add-ons would match-up to the program, Adguard for Windows. B)

I should have mentioned earlier that I meant Adguard for Windows, and not just the Adguard extension.

5 hours ago, worldsdream said:

Adguard is the best. I can answer all your answers in depth. Adguard will win. 

Then please do answer. :-)

1 hour ago, The_Minz said:

This is not true.

I've used Adguard for Windows and seen page damage. Videos not loading, or Ad-blocker is being detected and complained about, pics not loading, etc.

Actually @dcs18 is correct.  It doesn't 'damage' pages.  It may 'block' items you don't want blocked but it doesn't 'damage' the page.  And if in your mind you were already convinced of this then why even ask the question.  Just trying to get post counts, huh?

9 hours ago, The_Minz said:

I should have mentioned earlier that I meant Adguard for Windows, and not just the Adguard extension.

As per your corrected requirement I'm adjusting my answers to now reflect AdGuard for Windows as opposed to the AdGuard add-on.

19 hours ago, The_Minz said:

Which one is better?

AdGuard for Windows

Which blocks more stuff?

AdGuard for Windows

Ghostery

Which is faster?

AdGuard for Windows

Which removes more ads?

AdGuard for Windows

AdGuard for Windows

9 hours ago, The_Minz said:
17 hours ago, dcs18 said:

This is not true.

Videos not loading, ad-blocker being detected, images not loading, etc., etc. are all symptoms of a lack of knowledge in creating custom filters — not signs of page "damage."

If you truly "believe" it's possible to "damage" pages, then — AdGuard for Windows is definitely not for you (Ghostery would be much much more suitable for you.) :coolwink:

I gave up on Ghostery some time back. Just use uBlock Origin, go Options > Filter Lists and choose whichever lists you want, including the AdGuard offerings. Ghostery was good in the early days, but isn't really in the same league...

10 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Actually @dcs18 is correct.  It doesn't 'damage' pages.  It may 'block' items you don't want blocked but it doesn't 'damage' the page.  And if in your mind you were already convinced of this then why even ask the question.  Just trying to get post counts, huh?

No, its not about page counts at all. Why would I waste my time just for that?

I thought I would get a little bit more into this Forum to see if I can help others or get into some great discussions.

As for page damage, its either damage or blocking, but the end result is the same.

Pages aren't loaded as they should be.

2 hours ago, dcs18 said:

Videos not loading, ad-blocker being detected, images not loading, etc., etc. are all symptoms of a lack of knowledge in creating custom filters — not signs of page "damage."

If you truly "believe" it's possible to "damage" pages, then — AdGuard for Windows is definitely not for you (Ghostery would be much much more suitable for you.) :coolwink:

Well, I don't have any custom filters and just use the default Adguard built filters, so what you're saying is their own developers lack knowledge in creating filters?

Also, I've reported plenty of issues regarding incorrect blocking of Adguard, and these have been fixed, so there actually was an issue to begin with.

Also, I think I'm using Adguard well, and I do know my way around it.

I have used Ghostery, but haven't tested it enough to really know how it performs thus far.

Well, I don't have any custom filters and just use the default Adguard built filters, so what you're saying is their own developers lack knowledge in creating filters?

I'm referring to your lack of knowledge in creating custom filters.

Developers of filters adopt a middle path, not the path of perfection — they won't have the time to perfect the tens of thousands of filters they've already created which need to be updated on a far more frequent basis.

Example 1:

Check out your existing filters for the site https://zippyshare.com/ — then, compare the result after trying-out the custom filters, from here.

Example 2:

Check out your existing filters for the site http://2baksa.net/ — then, compare the result after trying-out the custom filters, from here.

Example 3:

Check out your existing filters for the site https://www.softexia.com/ — then, compare the result after trying-out the custom filters, from here.

Also, I've reported plenty of issues regarding incorrect blocking of Adguard, and these have been fixed, so there actually was an issue to begin with.

Can you post the links to those issues?

Also, I think I'm using Adguard well, and I do know my way around it.

Well, you know your way well enough with AdGuard and yet you need a second opinion from this community — not to forget the following grief:—

Spoiler
14 hours ago, The_Minz said:

knowledge-Spammer
8 minutes ago, Archanus said:

I stop using AdGuard because it slows down my browsing experience so badly, even If I use default settings :( 

seems fine for me

but have u tryed the addon its good

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-browser-extension/firefox/overview.html

new things for adguard  soon

4 minutes ago, knowledge said:

seems fine for me

but have u tryed the addon its good

https://adguard.com/en/adguard-browser-extension/firefox/overview.html

new things for adguard  soon

Thanks for the quick reply :) 

I use uBlock (with uBO Extra) and Nano Adblocker (with Nano Defender) ... AdGuard Chrome/Firefox browser extension is better than both (uBO & Nano) ??? :)

New things?? Ohh, good news :D 

On 10/18/2018 at 9:45 AM, dcs18 said:

Why would I create filters?

If the default filters have an issue with them, then they will be fixed by the developers., we just need to alert them to that fact.

I've seen the sort of rules you create, and they seem to be very simple rules that I have created in the past.

If you really want to clean up sites, then I can provide you with a list and lets see if you're really as good as you say.

There are a LOT of sites I see with ads and pop-up windows, etc that fly right through Adguard.

These are mostly sports streaming sites....

Nah, I can't be bothered searching for those links now...

But like I said, if you're itching on creating rules, I can provide plenty of sites for you.

Well, you know your way well enough with AdGuard and yet you need a second opinion from this community

I have used Adguard for a while now. And whats wrong with taking others opinions on things?

12 hours ago, The_Minz said:

Why would I create filters?

If the default filters have an issue with them, then they will be fixed by the developers., we just need to alert them to that fact.

I've seen the sort of rules you create, and they seem to be very simple rules that I have created in the past.

If you really want to clean up sites, then I can provide you with a list and lets see if you're really as good as you say.

There are a LOT of sites I see with ads and pop-up windows, etc that fly right through Adguard.

These are mostly sports streaming sites....

Only those who lack the requisite knowledge would wait for Developers to fix rules — FWIW, the correct rules for Zippyshare, 2BakSa and Softexia are languishing for years. Even when they fix the same, Users can expect merely a middle path — never perfection.

12 hours ago, The_Minz said:

Nah, I can't be bothered searching for those links now...

But like I said, if you're itching on creating rules, I can provide plenty of sites for you.

You can't be bothered because you've not filed even a single report — FYI, I'm a beta-tester with AdGuard.

Spoiler
On 10/18/2018 at 7:31 AM, The_Minz said:

13 hours ago, Archanus said:

I stop using AdGuard because it slows down my browsing experience so badly, even If I use default settings :( 

I'm guessing you no longer use AdGuard for Windows — in case you do . . . . . . did you try-out my suggestion?

1 hour ago, dcs18 said:

I'm guessing you no longer use AdGuard for Windows — in case you do . . . . . . did you try-out my suggestion?

Yes bro, no longer use AdGuard for Windows. I really use your suggestions :S but I don't know what's wrong :(

1 minute ago, Archanus said:

Yes bro, no longer use AdGuard for Windows. I really use your suggestions :S but I don't know what's wrong :(

What suggestions did you try mate?

14 minutes ago, The_Minz said:

What suggestions did you try mate?

I was searching in my historial, but I can't find it :( Sorry

2 hours ago, Archanus said:
4 hours ago, dcs18 said:

In that case, never mind — if you decide though (in future) to give AdGuard another try and happen to bump into that issue, let me know . . . . . . I'll point a link to that suggestion and also to another similar situation when we resolved it for someone else. ;)

Archived