Bought my first SSD!

lurch234

Like the title says, I purchased my first SSD today. I couldn't cope with the very long boot time of my rig anymore.

Now I have to wait for it to be delivered. Hopefully before the postal system goes on strike!

Here's my new baby:   https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-860-evo-2-5--sata-iii-500gb-mz-76e500b-am/

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

Very good SSD!! :cheers:

My phone,TV and two PC monitors are Samsung. Great brand!

Unless you can afford a very fast processor a SSD is the next big speed increase, and for a reasonable amount of money.

It's amazing how much their price has decreased over just the last year alone.

I'm a Samsung fan also, TV, PC monitors, SSD's cell phone, washer & dryer...........

You will be absolutely amazed how much faster your rig will be. I had the 850 EVO 256gb Samsung, but since purchased an m.2 Intel 760p. It was even faster. Congratulations, you will be quite pleased.

1 hour ago, lurch234 said:

Like the title says, I purchased my first SSD today. I couldn't cope with the very long boot time of my rig anymore.

Now I have to wait for it to be delivered. Hopefully before the postal system goes on strike!

Here's my new baby:   https://www.samsung.com/us/computing/memory-storage/solid-state-drives/ssd-860-evo-2-5--sata-iii-500gb-mz-76e500b-am/

Aaaw, you're new baby has your eyes!!😀😀😀

Let us know how it performs lurch134. I'm a slow mover...I only updated from Win XP to Win 7 last October, so at my speed of change I'll probably

get an SSD when we have colonized Mars.😀😀😀

3 minutes ago, funkyy said:

so at my speed of change I'll probably

get an SSD when we have colonized Mars.😀😀😀

All you need is a good motivator, actually. I was getting severely irritated over the long boot time. And having to do restarts drove me up the wall.

And the technology is much better than it was. So, like cosy said, thank God I've woken up :yes:

I have a 256 GB Samsung 850 EVO. Seems to be pretty good. Haven't had any issues with it. I'm thinking about going smaller. Not sure that I need all this space, since I have a 2 TB SSHD and a 1 TB HDD running with my SSD.

2 hours ago, Knightmare said:

I have a 256 GB Samsung 850 EVO. Seems to be pretty good. Haven't had any issues with it. I'm thinking about going smaller. Not sure that I need all this space, since I have a 2 TB SSHD and a 1 TB HDD running with my SSD.

Good idea, my setup is similar.

Since I use the SSD for the OS & apps only. it doesn't have to have a large capacity.

In my case 120 GB is sufficient  and provides plenty of free space.

Everything else goes on my other HD's.

All PC's I build I suggest the customer uses SSD for OS and most appllications and a spinner HD for  image backup and everything else.

I then partition those drives for specific purposes.

I have 3x SSD's incl' the Samsung 850 EVO - you might want to also add some more RAM, normal amounts for Desktop is 12-16GB, Laptops ~8GB ;)  

18 minutes ago, J.D said:

you might want to also add some more RAM, normal amounts for Desktop is 12-16GB

Already covered :naughty:

On 10/16/2018 at 10:44 PM, zinoswink said:

Good idea, my setup is similar.

Since I use the SSD for the OS & apps only. it doesn't have to have a large capacity.

In my case 120 GB is sufficient  and provides plenty of free space.

Everything else goes on my other HD's.

All PC's I build I suggest the customer uses SSD for OS and most appllications and a spinner HD for  image backup and everything else.

I then partition those drives for specific purposes.

I've had friends suggest that I install all my programs on my SSHD/HDD. Basically, just tell every program to install there during the install process. They say it makes the OS super fast. I would imagine that it wouldn't have any impact on program performance, since they don't NEED to be in the program files folder. It actually might make programs run better. I've run into issues with programs running correctly when installed in the program files because of the security settings of the folder. Of course, some programs don't give you an option of where to install them and prefer to be in the program files. I've also migrated toward the use of portable programs--more specifically using SyMenu from my SSHD. I've built quite the collection of portable tools.

All done. And I'm in digital heaven. Boot time is incredible (for me that is) . And it's amazing how my rig got quiet since I don't hear the HDD running all the time :clap:

• Administrator

Topic moved to Technology Talk - this is exactly what this forum is for.

Congrats for it. Still waiting in the line for it. I have big space requirements and even 250GB is not affordable for me right now and 120GB is not sufficient. Also have no use for faster boot times. So waiting for it to get even cheaper there.

Do give some reviews for it if possible to do so.

22 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

Also have no use for faster boot times.

I used to share that same thought since my Windows 8.1 used to already boot within 8 - 10 seconds . . . . . however, the super-fast boot times that a SSD brings, is really a boon (as those who've been using it will testify.)

Although the boot-time speed is the most discernible feature of an SSD — other gains such as transfer speed and extraction + archiving speeds on huge files; become perceptible too (there's also a much more responsive feel that SSD brings to the table.)

22 minutes ago, DKT27 said:

So waiting for it to get even cheaper there.

There was this Dussehra promotion on Amazon and Flipkart (and possibly other online portals) from 10th to 15th of October — we bought a number of Samsung 860 EVO @ ₹ 4,200/- per unit.

Many of my clients switched-over from HDD to SSD to avail of their new policy of low cost EMIs even on debit cards — there's another promotion coming-up on Amazon, from the 25th to 30th of October.

• Administrator
36 minutes ago, dcs18 said:

I used to share that same thought since my Windows 8.1 used to already boot within 8 - 10 seconds . . . . . however, the super-fast boot times that a SSD brings, is really a boon (as those who've been using it will testify.)

Although the boot-time speed is the most discernible feature of an SSD — other gains such as transfer speed and extraction + archiving speeds on huge files; become perceptible too (there's also a much more responsive feel that SSD brings to the table.)

There was this Dussehra promotion on Amazon and Flipkart (and possibly other online portals) from 10th to 15th of October — we bought a number of Samsung 860 EVO @ ₹ 4,200/- per unit.

Many of my clients switched-over from HDD to SSD to avail of their new policy of low cost EMIs even on debit cards — there's another promotion coming-up on Amazon, from the 25th to 30th of October.

I see. Good to hear that and thanks for letting me know about it. For me, I have no use for boot times as my computer is always on. However, if I get SSD then I would certainly reconsider doing that.

Yes, I did hear about it, also helps a lot in game loading times I have heard, all this is something that I keep forgetting. But then again, games are getting bigger and bigger and 120GB is not sufficient if one wants to install both OS and games or a even single big game on it.

Yes. I did consider during that time - only 120GB, but I had other things to buy. I have heard Pro drives are better than EVO though, but understandably more expensive.

Again, thanks for letting me know, I did not know they too have started offering it - I thought only FK did. But still, if it can get a thousand rupees cheaper then I can consider it.

7 hours ago, DKT27 said:

Also have no use for faster boot times.

My boot time before the SSD was horrifying. I would start my PC then go brush my teeth. Once that was done, the PC still hadn't finished booting!!

Now it only takes 38 seconds. And that, for me, is fast!

• Administrator
On 10/23/2018 at 2:55 AM, lurch234 said:

My boot time before the SSD was horrifying. I would start my PC then go brush my teeth. Once that was done, the PC still hadn't finished booting!!

Now it only takes 38 seconds. And that, for me, is fast!

I see. I must say my HDD still boots faster than that.

If it's taking so much time even on SSD then either the OS needs to be checked or the CPU - whether it's overheating and such.

• 2 weeks later...

The worst thing is, you should not rely on SSD too much if you store your valuable files in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased the Samsung 850 EVO 256gb in March 2015 and according to Samsung Magician I have written 9.3 TB to the disk and it's condition is stated as good,

Hard Disk Sentinel states that the condition is excellent with a performance of 100% and Health rating of 97%. Not sure if I should be worried about that because

of the over provisioning factor but I have had 3 + good years out of it. Its only an OS and install drive though as I have HDD's for everything else.

A 480GB Sandisk can be had now for around £52GBP

Archived