Is this laptop a good deal? - SOLVED

eurotrash

Hi all, I am in need of a good laptop, my budget is around 600-700 EUR (Prefer to spend 600), and the best deal I can find is this laptop:

Acer A315-53G-551Y

https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B07FWBPJM4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A11IL2PNWYJU7H&psc=1

At time of posting, 610 EUR. Yes, I know that the screen is HD not FHD, but my budget is limited. I will use the computer for internet browsing, watching videos, playing games like AOE, and some light PS work. Is the graphics card able to handle PS or should I look at an Intel HD 520-620? I like NVidia but I am uncertain if this particular card is powerful enough. (It does say 2GB dedicated though). Any thoughts? I need to purchase a laptop very soon. Thanks in advance all!

• Replies 14
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first off... before even looking at any laptops... i would opt to buy a few less cases of beer and spend the 700 bucks as opposed to the 600 bucks..or euros or rubles or pounds or whatever your currency is😃

Acer is a mainstream consumer brand, you should avoid it. Try instead Asus or MSI (not as mainstream as they seem).

This mainstream computer looks cheap at first sight but will cost you much more to keep it going.

Some brands are mainstream quality like Acer, Packard Bell, Fujitsu, Lenovo, and alikes.

Lookup current computer brands and see if you can find them in a retail store. If you can easily find them, that means they're unreliable.

There again, you may also look at how much space that brand takes on the shelves. The more it takes, the more unreliable it is.

Mainstream consumers are [retarded], so it makes sense for a brand that addresses them to make [retarded] hardware that suits them.

Also since you said you will use Photoshop, you'll need more than a 15.6" screen / a 1366x768 resolution, because you'll otherwise come short of screen space while doing PS works (I already come short on a 1080p screen).

If you can't afford a computer that suits your needs right now, don't bow to lower expectations. Wait until you save enough money to get the right one.

Is it required that you buy a computer right now, or can you wait to buy one later?

If you need one right now, buy a very cheap one while you save up to buy the proper one later.

It is not a good time to buy it right now. If you need it urgently, it can be something else, but, if you can wait, it would be a good idea to stay until Black Friday or, maybe, after the Winter Holidays season when, for sure, the prices will be cut off, too.

I am almost sure you can find something better then...:)

Greetings,

;)

great advice.... always get more than you think you need.... go big or go home...NEVER  allow cheap price to be your biggest concern on what you need for computer if you had to save up...wait a bit longer and save some more...most of all if photoshop is going to be in use....you will  need a top line graphics card and display.... that will not come in a cheap system no matter what the salesperson tries to tell you

• Administrator

The specifications look good to me. I however think that reviews on the said products - which this does not have any, matter though.

Still, I would advice Asus and Dell over others there.

3 hours ago, eurotrash said:

At time of posting, 610 EUR. Yes, I know that the screen is HD not FHD, but my budget is limited. I will use the computer for internet browsing, watching videos, playing games like AOE, and some light PS work. Is the graphics card able to handle PS or should I look at an Intel HD 520-620? I like NVidia but I am uncertain if this particular card is powerful enough. (It does say 2GB dedicated though). Any thoughts? I need to purchase a laptop very soon. Thanks in advance all!

I concur with advice to stay away from Acer, it is rubbish brand. I recommend Asus, Dell, Msi. The nvidia card in that laptop is MX130 which is just more money for no additional value, the Integrated HD Graphics will play those games you mentioned and are capable of handling 4K video playback which will not be an issue since your screen is FHD at most. If you want a to play heavier games the MX130 will not work anyway so it's wasting money. For the budget your best bet might be a MSI gaming laptop if you wanted the specs.

I will stick to what I have recommended before.  Look at refurbished computers, particularly from Dell.  I have bought 5 refurbished laptops from them, 4 x i7 and 1 x i5, and the most expensive one retailed for $2200 and I got it refurbished for $700 with a 3 year warranty.  None of them have failed.  A friend's sister bought one on my recommendation and hers failed after two weeks.  She called Dell and they sent a repairman out the next day with a new motherboard.  That was two years ago and she is still using it daily without a problem.  And she only paid $300 for the one she bought.

1 hour ago, Jime234 said:

refurbished  Thinkpad

Well,

ThinkPad notebooks are great, indeed.

I used them since more than 15 years. Currently I own 4, two of them are having processors Intel Core I from 7th & 8th generation, one is from 2th generation, and another from 5th generation.

With all of these I will not buy any other Lenovo product.

In this spring, I had a little issue with one of them. Lenovo Customer Service is the worst from what I experienced until now. Thier employees are totally pathetic.

I sent a complaint to their headquarters also, and since April I have got nor even a reply until now and I guess that I won't receive one from now on...😂🤣

I have no idea about their refurbished products, but my tip is to stay away from Lenovo....

5 hours ago, Recruit said:

I have no idea about their refurbished products, but my tip is to stay away from Lenovo....

If you look at the name , they already give you the hint : Lno vo 

20 hours ago, Recruit said:

Well,

ThinkPad notebooks are great, indeed.

In this spring, I had a little issue with one of them...

So you could not fix the little issue on your own ? what was the issue ?

will not buy any other Lenovo product.

I get that a lottttt.........Hence,  Dell  Precision or Latitude & Likewise(HP Elitebook ).. I personally don't like HP 

2 hours ago, Jime234 said:

what was the issue ? 

Just a key from keyboard broken!

I haven't had to do it on my own because that notebook it was / is (still) covered by warranty for 4 years.

Thanks for your replies everyone! In the end I decided to not buy that laptop, but will save for a better one, which will hopefully last me 10-15 years (wishful thinking, I know). Thanks again for your recommendations, I will go with asus then. 

Archived