[Solved] inject slic table on virtual machine

mehdibleu

hello everyone,

i need some help on the way to emulate a slic table into virtual machine, i explain :

i would like to do some tests on VM with slic table injected into it to see the results about windows 7 activation so i need to inject a slic table using virtual machine before creating a new virtual machine with windows 7 and not after the installation has been done.

i use both virtualBox and Vmware so it doesn't matter which VM is used for the test, i can work with both of them.

i hope i was clear on what i want to do, any help will be much appreciated.

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You mean this ?

VIRTUALBOX V4.3 SLIC ACTIVATION AIO for WINDOWS HOST & 7 GUEST - SLIC 2.1

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/virtualbox-v4-3-slic-activation-aio-for-windows-host-7-guest-slic-2-1-dell.50711/

1 hour ago, Akaneharuka said:

You mean this ?

VIRTUALBOX V4.3 SLIC ACTIVATION AIO for WINDOWS HOST & 7 GUEST - SLIC 2.1

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/virtualbox-v4-3-slic-activation-aio-for-windows-host-7-guest-slic-2-1-dell.50711/ 

thank you but if i go by all the instructions given in the topic, it concerns injecting a slic table to activate win7 after the installation has been done on the virtual machine and i specified in the first post that i wanted to inject a slic table before installing windows 7 on the virtual machine.

i don't know if such a request is possible to do.

4 hours ago, coromonadalix said:

thank you, but unfortunately i cannot see the content of the first link because i am banned from MDL.

Regarding the second link, i don't think it suits my needs because i am looking for a slic modded bios and if i go by the tutorial in the link, slic is not mentionned there.

After testing multiple files and spending 3 nights without sleeping :D, i finally foud out how to inject slic table into Vmware before creating a new virtual machine.

For those who want to do the same in the future, here's what you have to do :

you have to find a modded slic bios ( i choose dell and it's not the brand i have and it worked) with rom extension then you put it into C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Virtual Machines\yourVMNAME then you open yourVMname.vmx then you add this line :

bios440.filename = "BIOS.440_SLIC.ROM"  (the file .rom in the line must have the same name than the file which was placed into C:\Users\yourname\Documents\Virtual Machines\yourVMNAME)

then all you have to do is install your windows into VM and you will notice at the end that the slic was injected successfully using RW-Everything. :)

This has to be done in case of Legacy bios.

In case of UEFI, you have to do the same except that you have to find a modded slic EFI then place it into the same directory then add both of these lines into the same path :

firmware = "efi"
efi64.filename = "EFI64_SLIC.ROM"

Hi @mehdibleu

Thanks for posting your findings.

Are you sure that the ROM from any motherboard will work in VMWare?

Can you share the rom files you use?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, MrZeb said:

Hi @mehdibleu

Thanks for posting your findings.

Are you sure that the ROM from any motherboard will work in VMWare?

Thanks.

yes it seems to be the case since i choose slic modded bios from dell (slic2.4) when mine is Lenovo and it worked, i was able to inject slic modded bios from dell into lenovo bios machine successfully as you can see below :

dx7v.png

krcx.png

if you compare both screens, you can clearly see that the bios is different so it confirms what i said above, you can use a slic modded bios from another brand and inject it into your machine that does not contain the same bios.

Maybe I'm mistaken but I think that VMware emulates some BIOS/UEFI and it doesn't expose the real BIOS/UEFI you have on the physical hardware, if that was the case then you could simply activate Windows inside the VM using a LENOVO Certificate and the SLIC table that is on the BIOS.

Every machine needs a specific rom I would expect that VMWare could use any rom not specifically prepared for VMware use!

53 minutes ago, MrZeb said:

Maybe I'm mistaken but I think that VMware emulates some BIOS/UEFI and it doesn't expose the real BIOS/UEFI you have on the physical hardware, if that was the case then you could simply activate Windows inside the VM using a LENOVO Certificate and the SLIC table that is on the BIOS.

Every machine needs a specific rom I would expect that VMWare could use any rom not specifically prepared for VMware use!

yes you could be right because i found it kinda strange that the slic from another another brand could be injected successfully in a complete different machine so as said, VMWare enables to inject any slic modded bios because it does not take account of the real BIos/UEFi but to be 100% sure, you have to test it on a real machine to know the result but it is most likely that the slic procedure fails if you try to do it on a machine whose bios is different from the one of the original machine.

Regarding the certificate, i don't know, i will have to test it too but logically, the activation is  possible only if certificate and slic are from the same brand.

14 hours ago, mehdibleu said:

Regarding the certificate, i don't know, i will have to test it too but logically, the activation is  possible only if certificate and slic are from the same brand.

If I'm right if you run the same tool inside the VM without the ROM file loaded on VMware you will see that the "#08 BIOS or Slic ID" will be most likely empty and not with Lenovo as on image 1.

8 hours ago, MrZeb said:

If I'm right if you run the same tool inside the VM without the ROM file loaded on VMware you will see that the "#08 BIOS or Slic ID" will be most likely empty and not with Lenovo as on image 1.

Regarding what you said in one of your previous messages about the certificate, you assumed that any certificate could be used with the DELL slic table for the activation if it turns out that VMware does not take account of the real Bios/UEFI and after testing this hypothesis, it turns out that the activation is possible only if certificate and slic are from the same brand.

i inserted certificate from Lenovo and the activation fails, then i inserted Dell certificate and win7 was activated automatically after that.

44 minutes ago, mehdibleu said:

Regarding what you said in one of your previous messages about the certificate, you assumed that any certificate could be used with the DELL slic table for the activation if it turns out that VMware does not take account of the real Bios/UEFI and after testing this hypothesis, it turns out that the activation is possible only if certificate and slic are from the same brand.

i inserted certificate from Lenovo and the activation fails, then i inserted Dell certificate and win7 was activated automatically after that.

No I didn't say that, the Certificate must mach the "brand signature" that is on the SLIC table.

57 minutes ago, MrZeb said:

No I didn't say that, the Certificate must mach the "brand signature" that is on the SLIC table.

My apologies, that was clearly a misunderstanding from me, after reading again your previous message, you clearly said that certificate and slic must have the same brand.

Regarding what you said about installing windows into Vmware without injecting a rom, i get "VBox" which is mentionned next to "#08 BIOS or Slic ID"  when running the tool and not Lenovo as you said in one of your previous messages as you can see below :

pzto.png

so can we conclude from this what you said before, that VMWare does not take account of the real Bios ?

On 10/2/2018 at 9:05 PM, MrZeb said:

Hi @mehdibleu

Thanks.

Sorry i forgot to send you the rom files that i used into VMware and which have allowed to inject SLic successfully into VMWare.

here are the files :

Site: https://www.upload.ee
Sharecode: /files/9036706/BIOS.440_SLIC_SLP1.rar.html

Site: https://www.upload.ee
Sharecode: /files/9036715/EFI64_SLIC.rar.html

On 10/4/2018 at 12:10 AM, mehdibleu said:

so can we conclude from this what you said before, that VMWare does not take account of the real Bios ?

Why should it? Still it's possible to passthrough the real SLIC to the VM.

Add to VMX:

acpi.passthru.slic = "TRUE"
acpi.passthru.slicvendor = "TRUE"
SMBIOS.reflecthost = "TRUE"

You can also export SLIC table as BIN with RWeverything or Daz' Loader and add it with:

acpi.addtable.filename = SLIC.BIN

12 minutes ago, s1ave77 said:

Why should it? Still it's possible to passthrough the real SLIC to the VM.

Add to VMX:

acpi.passthru.slic = "TRUE"
acpi.passthru.slicvendor = "TRUE"
SMBIOS.reflecthost = "TRUE"

You can also export SLIC table as BIN with RWeverything or Daz' Loader and add it with:

acpi.addtable.filename = SLIC.BIN

Yes i found out that solution while doing the reasearchs on the net to know how to

inject the slic into vm until i found what i was looking for.

The solution you mention is only possible if you have a real machine with slic but the problem is that i don't have any machine which contains slic table as i told you last time by pm otherwise i would have used it to passthrough the real dlic into vm. :)

Thank you for your answer anyway. :)

Take care.

• 5 months later...

Hello,

i have to make some clarification on what i said above in my previous posts about the modded bios for VMWare, in fact there's only a unique bios that you must use to emulate slic table on VMWare, it's the bios440 which allows to emulate intel 440Bx as it is compatible with intel 440Bx and this way you can use this bios to inject into it slic table so the only modded bios that you can use to emulate slic table on VMWare in "legacy bios" is bios440 (6006), other modded bios won't work.

Of course after emulating slic table using bios440.rom on VMWare, you need to use a certificate from the same brand (dell) so that your windows or server version can be activated successfully.

Archived