Microsoft revises Intel microcode updates for Windows 10 as mitigation against Spectre

nir

The Spectre and Meltdown vulnerabilities are considered two of the most severe security flaws in recent history, affecting all modern Intel processors and even some CPU models belonging to other companies. Following the premature disclosure of this threat earlier this year, manufacturers like Microsoft, Apple, and many more rushed to push out fixes in order to combat the issue.

Microsoft released Intel's Spectre and Meltdown microcode in March, followed by the availability of further updates last month. Now, the tech giant has made more of Intel's microcode updates available, along with the revision of support for a few more processors.

Intel microcode updates relevant to the following CPUs have been revised:

• Broadwell Server E, EP, EP4S
  • Broadwell Server EX
  • Skylake Server SP (H0, M0, U0)
  • Skylake D (Bakerville)
  • Skylake X (Basin Falls)

The update has been released for various versions of Windows 10, including KB4100347 for version 1803, KB4090007 for version 1709, and KB4091663 for version 1703. Furthermore, KB4091664 has been made available for Windows 10 systems still running the Anniversary Update i.e version 1607. Spectre variant 2 has primarily been targeted with this update.

The latest release can be downloaded as a standalone package via the Windows Update Catalog, or installed through the Windows Server Update Service. You can also venture over to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and then select Check for updates. For more information regarding the changes, you can visit the source links provided below.

Source: Microsoft (1), (2), (3), (4) via Windows Latest

Source

• Replies 9
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally have not; I noticed that I recently received a patch for my old Haswell i5 4690k for Spectre and Meltdown-I disabled both with InSpectre. I'll take my chances.

1 hour ago, mkc21 said:

has anyone here actually experienced any loss of performance due to these patches and microcode updates?

Yes on some older machines is easily noticeable.

AFAIK, these vulnerabilities have not being abused despite the length of time the bad guys have been aware of them.

AFAIK2, exploiting these vulnerabilities is difficult, and the bad guys are sensibly picking lower hanging fruit.

So for me, am just ignoring the microcode updates. If pushed, I'll update my PC's BIOS for some protection, but will stay way clear of Microsoft's patches.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 10:01 AM, mkc21 said:

has anyone here actually experienced any loss of performance due to these patches and microcode updates?

no, unless you are running a server with a big database and multiple virtual machines and a lot of users using the same database and multiple virtual machines at same time, then you will notice some performace issues, but in a home PC desktop/portable you will not notice any perfomance issue.

Read on several websites this morning where people were posting about their systems would no longer overclock, even though the bios settings had not changed, after installing the update.  When they removed the update the system went into a BSOD loop.  Since there has not been one documented case of any of these vulnerabilities being exploited outside the lab you have to be crazy to submit your system to these updates.  It appears that once the microcode has been changed there is no changing it back unless you replace the CPU with a new one.  "In Microsoft We Trust" is something only a fool would do.  The modern form of religion is "the father, the son, the holy ghost, and Linus Torvalds."

12 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Read on several websites this morning where people were posting about their systems would no longer overclock, even though the bios settings had not changed, after installing the update.  When they removed the update the system went into a BSOD loop.  Since there has not been one documented case of any of these vulnerabilities being exploited outside the lab you have to be crazy to submit your system to these updates.  It appears that once the microcode has been changed there is no changing it back unless you replace the CPU with a new one.  "In Microsoft We Trust" is something only a fool would do.  The modern form of religion is "the father, the son, the holy ghost, and Linus Torvalds."

CPU microcodes updates are available for Linux too, because this vulnerabilities are in hardware, but patched through software in most of the known current Operating Systems.

Archived