Next Windows 10 Update Will Auto-Move Files to OneDrive to Free Space

nir

Microsoft has been weaving OneDrive more deeply into Windows with each update, and the upcoming Windows 10 feature update (build 17720) will continue the trend. An updated version of Microsoft Storage Sense will automatically back up content to OneDrive, and it may even remove the local version of the file to save space. This could be great for smaller disks, but you can disable Storage Sense if you want to manage your drives manually.

In the new version of Windows 10, Microsoft wants Storage Sense to operate as a “silent assistant” that you don’t have to babysit. As you use your computer and generate new files, they’ll be trickled up to OneDrive for safekeeping. That part isn’t new—the improvements come in what happens to the local files afterward. When you don’t use a file for some period of time (the default is 30 days), Windows can remove the local copy and replace it with a placeholder icon. Microsoft calls this process “dehydration.”

So, you could go to open an older file and find that it’s actually not on your hard drive anymore. That’s where “Files On-Demand” comes in. Those “dehydrated” files can be restored seamlessly when you click on the placeholders. You will need to be connected to the internet, of course. You might not want to rely on the cloud for access to specific files, even if you don’t use them very often. So, there’s an option to flag content for offline access, and Storage Sense won’t remove your local copies.

Flagging offline content isn’t the only tweak available. Microsoft wants you to leave Storage Sense on, so there are various settings to make it less intrusive. Rather than having Storage Sense run daily, you can knock it back to weekly or monthly. You can also edit the amount of time it takes for files to become “online-only.” Storage Sense automatically clears out your Downloads folder as well, and you can alter the frequency of this purge.

Storage-Sense-640x433.png

If the automatic file management isn’t your thing, you can just invoke Storage Sense manually with the “Free up space now” option. Here, you can pick which temporary files and logs will get the ax.

Storage Sense will ask for permission to manage your drive when the new Windows 10 build is live, so you can opt out at that point. Just make sure you know what Storage Sense is going to do before you give it the go-ahead.

Source

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the new version of Windows 10, Microsoft wants Storage Sense to operate as a “silent assistant” that you don’t have to babysit. As you use your computer and generate new files, they’ll be trickled up to OneDrive for safekeeping. That part isn’t new—the improvements come in what happens to the local files afterward. When you don’t use a file for some period of time (the default is 30 days), Windows can remove the local copy and replace it with a placeholder icon. Microsoft calls this process “dehydration.”

This is much worse than Communism. (Of course, if somebody knows at all what is/was communism. If don't know, then everything, you have, will be taken away and you'll be sent on a long trip to the "Cold Land", it's fully free and lasts to end of life.).

Why all the hate ? Just select to not enable the feature when you update, if you don't use it... The one who find it useful can opt in.

There is absolutely no relation with communism or other form of political theory/movement, no need to bring politico-social ideology in a thread like this.

47 minutes ago, tiliarou said:

Why all the hate ? Just select to not enable the feature when you update, if you don't use it... The one who find it useful can opt in.

There is absolutely no relation with communism or other form of political theory/movement, no need to bring politico-social ideology in a thread like this.

Nah, for me its not an issue, but for a basic pc user, who only knows to turn it on, and play games, movies and music on it, it will be. 

I always uninstall, and remove it from the Windows File Manager, and puting it as a local drive, with other clouds as well, and have another app for backing stuff up, In the way i want it, not they.

This is actually very helpful for those people with low end eMMC/SSD systems that need to do Windows updates, I've dealt with this a number of times.. Nice.

I see how it is. Easy bait for the misinformed soul. Keep moving stuff to the cloud to give them storage on desktop - save them time and energy from doing house cleaning themselves. All cool and helpful... until the the limited free storage gets full - which can happen real soon. At that point the poor user has no choice but purchase the 365 subscription. Not to mention all the ownership crap they entitle themselves to in their EULA once your stuff lands on their cloud services.

If anyone thinks storing their stuff in the cloud is a good idea good luck to you LMAO you have your head in the clouds :spank:

Just a tip you can buy portable hard drives real cheap and don't have to trust M$ or any online bait BS.

C,mon people does anyone really think storing their stuff online is a good idea? 

Really OMG no wonder hacking people is so easy it just blows me out lol security one o one kindergarden stuff crazy how gullible some people are

trusting to store their stuff to some online BS you will some day get what your asking for :pope:

2 minutes ago, DonyMach1 said:

Just a tip you can buy portable hard drives real cheap and don't have to trust M$ or any online bait BS.

C,mon people does anyone really think storing their stuff online is a good idea?

The average user doesn't have a clue what this is all about. Else you'd wonder why so many people share their entire life on social media - accounts they signed up for free of charge.

7 minutes ago, BimBamSmash said:

The average user doesn't have a clue what this is all about. Else you'd wonder why so many people share their entire life on social media - accounts they signed up for free of charge.

You are correct brother I call it the KIWI syndrome sheep following sheep 😀 social media is for dummies no more needs to be said

On 9/13/2018 at 2:31 PM, sedative said:

No way, i love my network drives, like this :

LPfklUn.jpg

:D 

Excuse me can you tell me how to link google drive like that ?  XD

I would live to use drive like that too XD

I would love to

8 minutes ago, Akaneharuka said:

Excuse me can you tell me how to link google drive like that ?  XD

I would live to use drive like that too XD

I would love to

Heyya.

You have a new app called: Air Live Drive.

You can use up to 3 Cloud storages with the free version. But only 1 from each supported drives:

beUMoFs.jpg.d58f0ef925fff10af74b686310426a55.jpgYNFYxJi.jpg.977edbf7330d58ee4e49c30c07fb8843.jpg

Archived