RSS feed Problems

cubedj

Would it be possible to stop using special characters like ® (®)? Every time there's Intel product update the rss feed is broken for a quite some time..

There are some other minor validation problems with the RSS feed but those special characters will usually brake the feed completely for a lot of feed readers..

Thanx :)

• Replies 22
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, cubedj said:

Would it be possible to stop using special characters like ® (®)? Every time there's Intel product update the rss feed is broken for a quite some time..

There are some other minor validation problems with the RSS feed but those special characters will usually brake the feed completely for a lot of feed readers..

Thanx :)

Where or in which site you see this error?
If You meant this w3 validator, then this is not a valid validation system, it is obsolete, and secondly, it uses inappropriate text encording system, ie it uses encoding="iso-8859-1", should be utf-8
If there is something else on your system, you should allow utf-8.
Contemporary version:
<meta charset="utf-8" />
older option
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

How to use, read here.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4696499/meta-charset-utf-8-vs-meta-http-equiv-content-type

On 9/7/2018 at 9:21 PM, Kalju said:

Where or in which site you see this error?
If You meant this w3 validator, then this is not a valid validation system, it is obsolete, and secondly, it uses inappropriate text encording system, ie it uses encoding="iso-8859-1", should be utf-8
If there is something else on your system, you should allow utf-8.
Contemporary version:
<meta charset="utf-8" />
older option
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

How to use, read here.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4696499/meta-charset-utf-8-vs-meta-http-equiv-content-type

you're right about that w3 validator and even about the encoding - I've got utf-8 allowed and even so if I download the rss xml file the first line is still

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>

and not utf-8 .. but this still can be done by my Chrome browser and doesn't mean that the file is served this way by nsanes server right?... but even so If I take my browser and system out of the equation then still feedburner or innoreader will brake on the same exact line as my browser has if I tried to open the rss file directly and that is line 212:

<title>Intel&reg; Graphics Driver 24.20.100.6286</title>

all with the same error: "The URL does not appear to reference a valid XML file. We encountered the following problem: Error on line 212: The entity "reg" was referenced, but not declared."

Even in the stackoverflow discussion you've liked to there's this part:

Also you should not use HTML entities in UTF-8. Characters like the copyright symbol should be typed directly. The only entities you should use are for the 5 reserved markup characters: less than, greater than, ampersand, prime, double prime. Entities need an HTML parser, which you may not always want to use going forward, they introduce errors, make your code less readable, increase your file sizes, and sometimes decode incorrectly in various browsers depending on which entities you used.

actually only one feed reader I've tried that was able to manage nsanes rss feed when there's the Intel character used was Feedly and that's because it parses feeds more like a normal websites

• Administrator

I think the problem is the rss cache on the nsanedown. There are still some work on nsanedown in order it function with new php version. 

I don't know - but after todays rss cache regeneration the Intel Graphic Driver update is no more there and the feed started immediately working in all feedreaders... so for me is the problem really just the special character for the Intel logo.. ;)

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, cubedj said:

I don't know - but after todays rss cache regeneration the Intel Graphic Driver update is no more there and the feed started immediately working in all feedreaders... so for me is the problem really just the special character for the Intel logo.. ;)

Glad the problem is solved now. 

I would like to have the link that you get the rss feedback from, and I will see what I can do about the utf-8.

On 9/13/2018 at 1:03 AM, Matt said:

Glad the problem is solved now. 

I would like to have the link that you get the rss feedback from, and I will see what I can do about the utf-8.

solved - yeah kind of :D at least until the next Intel driver update... to get some rss feedback you can use Google's Feedburner - just insert the rss feed url in the "Burn a feed right this instant", clik next and it should show you error report if there's something wrong with the feed..

• Administrator

I honestly think removing the special character from the software title is not a big issue if the problem is so big there.

14 hours ago, DKT27 said:

I honestly think removing the special character from the software title is not a big issue if the problem is so big there.

I think so as well, thus the original question in the first place, because I think that in this case the xml and html encoding are not as much relevant and according to all the stuff I've already read through the html entity for ® should be in this case (<title>) entered directly and not as entity &reg; or not at all ;)

You can use any code on a website, but always it's very important to use the correct encoding, today (in ourdays) all utf8 or utf8mb4 encodings use the web page. And then shouldn't be any kind of problems, even if your web browser is to use by default another code, it should not afect nothing, but even in every normal browser setting is possible to change and is recommended to use also there utf8, if You don't need something else in special cases.

So there is no difference, if to use for example &#174; or &reg; or \u00AE in javascript, they all means the same ie ® (registered trademark)

More - https://mcdlr.com/utf-8/#1   http://htmlpurifier.org/docs/enduser-utf8.html or http://mydigitallife.eu3.biz/

Currency codes

Char Numeric
code
Named
code
Description
$ &#36;   dollar
&#8364; &euro; euro
£ &#163; &pound; pound
¥ &#165; &yen; yen / yuan
¢ &#162; &cent; cent
&#8377;   indean Rupee
&#8360;   rupee
&#8369;   peso
&#8361;   korean won
฿ &#3647;   thai baht
&#8363;   dong
&#8362;   shekel

Intellectual property codes

Char Numeric
code
Named
code
Description
© &#169; &copy; copyright
® &#174; &reg; registered trademark
&#8471;   sound recording copyright
&#8482; &trade; trademark
&#8480;   service mark

Special codes

Char Numeric
code
Named
code
Description
  &#09;   horizontal tab
  &#10;   line feed
  &#13;   carriage return / enter
  &#160; &nbsp; non-breaking space

Symbols codes

Char Numeric
code
Named
code
Description
& &#38; &amp; ampersand
&#8226; &bull; bullet
&#9702;   white bullet
&#8729;   bullet operator
&#8227;   triangular bullet
&#8259;   hyphen bullet
° &#176; &deg; degree
&#8734; &infin; infinity

10 hours ago, Kalju said:

You can use any code on a website ...

you're absolutely right but this is not a website nor html - it's xml, therefore you can't use any named entities (with the exception of &amp;, &quot;, &lt;, &gt;, &apos;) so no &reg; in the title element of rss xml file, entity-encoded HTML is allowed only in the description element if I remember that right but in the title element you should use the numeric code "&#174;" (all numeric codes for entities should work fine in xml) or use the ® character directly

Do not go crazy, of course they can be used. Everything can be used, even pictures. And with this RSS there is absolutely no problem. If you have a problem, you need to look elsewhere. It's not problem, related with the forum.

I actually don't have a problem.. I've solved this for myself right away... I'm just pointing out the fact that the rss feed doesn't work in most of the feed reading apps & services when the &reg; character is present... here's a quote from wiki just FYI:

Entities representing special characters in XHTMLedit

The XHTML DTDs explicitly declare 253 entities (including the 5 predefined entities of XML 1.0) whose expansion is a single character, which can therefore be informally referred to as "character entities". These (with the exception of the &apos; entity) have the same names and represent the same characters as the 252 character entities in HTML. Also, by virtue of being XML, XHTML documents may reference the predefined &apos; entity, which is not one of the 252 character entities in HTML. Additional entities of any size may be defined on a per-document basis. However, the usability of entity references in XHTML is affected by how the document is being processed:

• If the document is read by a conforming HTML processor, then only the 252 HTML character entities can safely be used. The use of &apos; or custom entity references may not be supported and may produce unpredictable results.
  • If the document is read by an XML parser that does not or cannot read external entities, then only the five built-in XML character entities (see above) can safely be used, although other entities may be used if they are declared in the internal DTD subset.
  • If the document is read by an XML parser that does read external entities, then the five built-in XML character entities can safely be used. The other 248 HTML character entities can be used as long as the XHTML DTD is accessible to the parser at the time the document is read. Other entities may also be used if they are declared in the internal DTD subset.

Because of the special &apos; case mentioned above, only &quot;, &amp;, &lt;, and &gt; will work in all processing situations.

• 1 year later...

(Update: The issue below was corrected shortly after the post. Thanks)

One of the feed validator quirks has, as of late last week, broken Ino Reader:

"A feed could not be found at https://www.nsanedown.com/rss.php. This does not appear to be a valid RSS or Atom feed."

It apparently relates specifically to the ones that are like this (the number varies; e.g. it could be 350.14 etc):

XML parsing error: <unknown>:407:14

• Administrator
On 11/19/2019 at 2:04 PM, rseiler said:

(Update: The issue below was corrected shortly after the post. Thanks)

One of the feed validator quirks has, as of late last week, broken Ino Reader:

"A feed could not be found at https://www.nsanedown.com/rss.php. This does not appear to be a valid RSS or Atom feed."

It apparently relates specifically to the ones that are like this (the number varies; e.g. it could be 350.14 etc):

XML parsing error: <unknown>:407:14

RSS works fine here, and the link you provided above has a "." in the end after ".php" which of course will give you that error.

https://www.nsanedown.com/rss.php

12 hours ago, Matt said:

RSS works fine here, and the link you provided above has a "." in the end after ".php" which of course will give you that error.

https://www.nsanedown.com/rss.php

That was just a typo, not what I was checking. It would be impossible to check it with the trailing period, since the feed validator automatically strips it out.

As I amended in the post though, about a day later, for whatever reason, the problem that had been ongoing for several days was resolved. I assumed it was on your end, but perhaps not.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, rseiler said:

Looks like about 3 days ago the most recent problem recurred (some readers, not all).

It should be fixed now.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, just a heads up that there was another Intel driver update 3 days ago, which killed the feed. Maybe better to drop the Intel driver from the listing at this point?

• Administrator
23 minutes ago, rseiler said:

Hey guys, just a heads up that there was another Intel driver update 3 days ago, which killed the feed. Maybe better to drop the Intel driver from the listing at this point?

It should be fixed now.

Archived