Is Astrill a good vpn?

h3Ct0R

Astrill has a free plan on android and the servers are very good. They are also very famous in China. Anyone using them? Do nsaners recommend that vpn? If no why?

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It depends on what you want from it, do you need Anonymity or just Privacy ?

If you need Anonymity, you must use a popular VPN with atleast millions of users worldwide (in each country).

For Privacy, I would not trust them since to operate in China you have to be 'in bed' with the government.

You may bypass site blockades but you must expect that provider to hand over all your logs when requested.

If the Chinese government isn't actively blocking this VPN, that means they have them under control.

1 hour ago, Rekkio said:

It depends on what you want from it, do you need Anonymity or just Privacy ?

If you need Anonymity, you must use a popular VPN with atleast millions of users worldwide (in each country).

For Privacy, I would not trust them since to operate in China you have to be 'in bed' with the government.

You may bypass site blockades but you must expect that provider to hand over all your logs when requested.

If the Chinese government isn't actively blocking this VPN, that means they have them under control.

I am sorry but your opinion or knowledge about vpns is just like me - average. There is not a single vpn with over millions of users in every country. Popularity and number of users doesn't mean quality.  Pia, Express, Airvpn, Windscribe every good vpn works in China. Only cheap and useless vpn don't work there. Is Pia, Express, Airvpn, Windscribe sleeping with the Chinese government?  Chinese government is actively blocking all the vpns. But shealth vpns work. But sometimes they face problems too. 

I want some good arguments. Some facts that Astrill is good or bad. I have read that they track users. But I think only on their website. They keep some logs too. But I want to know how damaging those logs can be? If someone has used their vpn or has knowledge about them, please share.

3 hours ago, h3Ct0R said:

Some facts that Astrill is good or bad.

Astrill is from Seychelles which is good for privacy. Basically they are nolog-service: They keep no usage logs but last 20 connection logs are kept. Creating account could be too much for somebody: To subscribe users must enter an email address, physical address, and a phone number to get a four-digit verification code. User data is never shared with third parties for advertising or any other reasons.

Windows client is great.

Andoid app sucks: It's easy to use but encryption is poor, no kill switch is available, and there are DNS leaks. Encryption is StealthVPN or OpenWeb rather than most recommended protocol, OpenVPN. 

No VPN wil protect you from governments. Do not forget that. Every VPN providers are keeping logs.

Technically you can only trust Tor browser but since it is a US funded project, I doubt that it will really hide from the government of US.

Everyone has their favorite VPN based on a review they read somewhere.  I have found the data on That One Privacy Site correlates well with information I have available to me.  The 14 Eyes concerns the 14 countries that have agreed to share data collected spy on you.  Ideally you want a VPN that has at least the first three blocks all green, which means they are not in one of the 14 countries, whether they support internet privacy, and if they log user data.  Note that Astril does maintain a log of your IP address though it doesn't log traffic.

astril.png

12 hours ago, Radpop said:

connection logs

Astrill FAQs:

Astrill logs connection data, including IP and connection time during active sessions, in order to monitor the number of simultaneous connections from a single account. It does state that these are removed immediately after the session is over or you can erase them (presumably during a session) from the member area.

Moreover, connection logs, including connection time and duration, country, and device type, are logged for the last 20 connections (per user). Although, there is no personally identifiable data (such as an IP address) involved.

3 hours ago, straycat19 said:

Everyone...

So shallow and general! ?️

8 hours ago, mclaren85 said:

you can only trust Tor browser

Are You joking???  ?

On 8/29/2018 at 1:42 PM, h3Ct0R said:

Astrill has a free plan on android and the servers are very good. They are also very famous in China. Anyone using them? Do nsaners recommend that vpn? If no why?

i didn't see any free plan for android?they have only paid service.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, hamilton said:

Thanks.I downloaded and installed it.they asked my mobile number and they give me 30 days free trials.

Register from inside the Android app. You'll get an Astrill free account for your Android phone. This account is only for your Android phone. If you log in to their website and verify (upgrade) your account by providing phone number and address they'll move your account from the free plan to paid plan. Then you'll get a 30 days trial for free. Android free plan shows your account will expire after 7 days but it keeps extending.

I got it for free for one year on here one time  and it was fine for free  but I  would not buy it are give them a phone number. Too many better ones out there.

I guess they don't support any connection from my country.i uninstalled it.because i had to register for 30 days with proxy and after disconnect from proxy and run Astrill,it doesn't work at all.

i saw this condition on their site:

OFFER CONDITIONS:
  • This package may be unavailable in some countries.

• 1 month later...

Archived