Help choosing Android phone

LeetPirate

This is my list so far:

1. Pixel 2 (price is high but if I'm to get this I'd wait for Pixel 3 to release then buy Pixel 2 at reduced prices)
  2. 1+ 6 (Many quality issues, screen installed upside down on some units, warranty takes months, non-standard charging cable, good value for the price if I win the lottery and receive one without defects)
  3. LG G6 (Seems ok but many submodels under the same G6 name so I think the us997 is the one I need but not sure)
  4. Huawei P20 Lite (Excellent value for money but too many submodels and I still have not figured out the differences)

The list is not in any order of preference, I don't really need flagship power because I do not play games on my phone. What I want is LTE support for USA providers, decent battery, and support for custom rom. My reason for custom rom support is to stay up to date with security fixes. I should mention that I intend to buy unlocked and not from the provider.

What do you guys think? Any other phones you think I should consider? Which phone would you recommend and why?

• Like 2

• Administrator

@LeetPirate: How about this. Among the cheaper top level ones. It's giving many a run for its money out there.

Something worth considering I think.

The ZenFone 5Z (ZS620KL) is a bit pricey, you may want  the midranger instead - ZenFone 5 instead 

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/3035260/asus-zenfone-5-review

These days seem the best route to android now are midrange phones ,, The video explains why:

Edited by teodz1984
  • Like 2

I agree with the video, for a few years now the flagships all seem to cater for the "look pretty" and "better than you" social classes and rich kids. The ZenFone 5Z looks great but the thing that concerns me is that it has not caught the eye of custom rom builders so after 1 year Asus will abandon it and it will become outdated and remain bloated. I still have a nexus 4 that is five years old and running Android Oreo. :)  I don't want to have to buy a new phone every year, even the iPhone becomes slow and useless after 2 years.

On 8/18/2018 at 2:13 PM, LeetPirate said:

too many submodels and I still have not figured out the differences

This website might be useful to you. In most cases it gives more specs on the product then the makers homepage.

The page will open on the model DKT27 suggested:     gsmarena

ASUS ZenFone 5 Series: Which one is for you?

by Louie Diangson · March 1, 2018

ASUS revealed three new smartphones at MWC 2018 – the top-of-the-line ZenFone 5Z, the mid-range ZenFone 5 and the selfie-centric ZenFone 5 Lite. If you’re wondering what’s the difference between the three and which one is best suited for your needs, we’ll break them down for you.

zenfone-5-vs-5-lite.jpg

ASUS ZenFone 5Z (ZS620KLZ) ASUS ZenFone 5 (ZE620KL) ASUS ZenFone 5 Lite (ZC600KL)
6.2-inch Full HD+ (2246 x 1080) Super IPS+ display, 402ppi 6.2-inch Full HD+ (2246 x 1080) Super IPS+ display, 402ppi 6-inch Full HD+ (2160 by 1080) IPS display, 402ppi
Corning Gorilla Glass Corning Gorilla Glass Front and rear 2.5D-contoured glass
Qualcomm Snapdragon 845, 10nm, 64-bit octa-core w/ AI Boost Qualcomm Snapdragon 636, 14nm, 64-bit octa-core w/ AI Boost Qualcomm Snapdragon 630, 14nm, 64-bit octa-core, or
Qualcomm Snapdragon 430, 28nm, 64-bit octa-core
Adreno 630 GPU Adreno 509 Adreno 508 or
Adreno 505
4GB/6GB/8GB LPDDR4X 4GB/6GB LPDDR4X 4GB LPDDR4 (SD630) or 3GB/4GB LPDDR3 (SD430)
64GB/128GB/256GB UFS 2.1 storage 64GB eMCP storage 32GB/64GB eMCP storage
microSD up to 2TB (uses SIM 2 slot) microSD up to 2TB (uses SIM 2 slot) microSD up to 2TB (dedicated slot)
12MP Sony IMX363 dual pixel, 1/2.55", 1.4um, f/1.8, OIS, + 120-degree wide-angle, LED flash 12MP Sony IMX363 dual pixel, 1/2.55", 1.4um, f/1.8, OIS, + 120-degree wide-angle, LED flash 16MP f/2.2 main + Secondary 120-deg wide-angle, LED flash
4K UHD @ 30fps, 1080p @ 30/60fps, 720p @ 30fps, 1080p @ 120 fps / 720p @ 240 fps 4K UHD @ 30fps, 1080p @ 30/60fps, 720p @ 30fps, 1080p @ 120 fps / 720p @ 240 fps 4K UHD @ 30fps (SD630), 1080p @ 30/60fps, 720p @ 30fps
8MP f/2.0 front camera 8MP f/2.0 front camera 20MP Sony IMX376 f/2.0 main front + Secondary 120-deg wide-angle, Softlight LED flash
Dual-SIM (hybrid, nano) Dual-SIM (hybrid, nano) Dual-SIM (nano)
4G LTE Cat18 up to 1.2 Gbps 4G LTE Cat13 up to 600 Mbps 4G LTE Cat13 up to 400Mbps (SD630), or 4G LTE Cat4 up to 150Mbps (SD430)
WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WLAN 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (SD630), or WLAN 802.11 b/g/n (SD430)
Bluetooth 5.0 Bluetooth 5.0 Bluetooth 4.1
NFC NFC NFC
GPS, AGPS, GLONASS, BDS GPS, AGPS, GLONASS, BDS GPS, AGPS, GLONASS, BDS
Fingerprint scanner Fingerprint scanner Fingerprint scanner
Face Unlock Face Unlock Face Unlock
Gyroscope, RGB sensor Gyroscope, RGB sensor Gyroscope
USB Type-C USB Type-C microUSB
3.5mm audio port 3.5mm audio port 3.5mm audio port
Dual 5-magnet speakers w/ NXP Smart Amp Dual 5-magnet speakers w/ NXP Smart Amp Loudspeaker
Hi-Res audio 192kHz/24-bit, DTS Headphone:X 7.1 Hi-Res audio 192kHz/24-bit, DTS Headphone:X 7.1  
FM Radio FM Radio FM Radio
3,300mAh battery with fast charging, Smart charging 3,300mAh battery with fast charging, Smart charging 3,300mAh battery
Android 8.0 Oreo w/ ZenUI 5 Android 8.0 Oreo w/ ZenUI 5 Android 8.0 Oreo w/ ZenUI 5
153 x 75.65 x 7.85 mm 153 x 75.65 x 7.85 mm 160.62 x 76.16 x 7.8 mm
155 g 155 g 168.3 g
Meteor Silver, Midnight Blue Meteor Silver, Midnight Blue Midnight Black, Rouge Red, Moonlight White

ASUS ZenFone 5Z

Let’s start with the 5Z which is basically the premium flagship of the new ZenFone 5 Series. Like the other new flagships in the market, this one sports a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core chipset with AI Boost and Adreno 630 GPU. It also has a faster LTE Cat18 modem capable of up to 1.2 Gbps speeds.

Zenfone-5-featured-final.jpg

ASUS is also offering the 5Z in three models: 4GB RAM + 64GB UFS 2.1 storage, 6GB RAM + 128GB UFS 2.1 storage, 8GB RAM + 256GB UFS 2.1 storage. This flexibility makes the 5Z more accessible to consumers who want a premium chipset without forcing them to splurge on bigger RAM or storage.

ASUS ZenFone 5

The 5 sits in the middle of the three and is basically the 5Z except for the following: it has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 636 octa-core chipset with AI Boost, Adreno 509 GPU, and an LTE Cat13 modem capable of up to 600Mbps speeds.

Zenfone-5-cameras-final.jpg

ASUS is offering two models of the ZenFone 5: 4GB RAM + 64GB eMCP storage, and 6GB RAM + 64GB eMCP storage. According to Micron Technology Inc., eMPC stands for embedded Multichip Package which is a combination of e.MMC and LPDRAM.

ASUS ZenFone 5 Lite

The ASUS Zenfone 5 Lite, also known as the ZenFone 5Q, is different from the rest of the 5 family which is evident in the design and specs. For one, the screen size is smaller but the resolution gives it the same 402ppi pixel density as the 5Z and 5. It has a 2.5D contoured glass but no mention of Gorilla Glass.

zf5_lite.jpg

It has a total of four cameras – two at the back and two at the front. The rear consists of a 16MP main shooter accompanied by a still-unspecified secondary camera with a wide-angle lens. On the front is a 20MP Sony main camera, also accompanied by a secondary wide-angle.

As for other features, it sports an older Bluetooth 4.1, uses a micro USB port, doesn’t support Hi-Res audio, a triple card tray with dedicated microSD card slot (not the hybrid type found in the 5Z and 5), and comes in three color options: Midnight Black, Rouge Red, and Moonlight White.

Zenfone-5-Back-final.jpg

Based on the company website, the 5 Lite comes in two models: a Qualcomm Snapdragon 630 with Adreno 508 GPU and 4GB RAM, and a Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 with Adreno 505 GPU and 3GB/4GB RAM. This puts the 5 Lite in the lower mid-range or upper-entry-level segments.

Which one is for you?

The ZenFone 5Z is for those who prefer a device with a premium flagship performance as guaranteed by the Snapdragon 845 chipset and up to 8GB RAM. It is also the recommended device if you prefer a faster and bigger storage as it can go up to 256GB.

The ZenFone 5 is for those who want to retain most of the 5Z’s features including its design yet don’t want to splurge much on performance. The SD636 is still a performer and the 4GB/6GB RAM + 64GB storage is more than enough most users.

The ZenFone 5 Lite will appeal more to users who are fond of selfies thanks to its high-resolution front camera, and those who like using two SIM cards and a microSD card at the same time. It is also expected to be priced lower than the other ZenFone devices so those on a budget should find this as a more attractive option.

ASUS is yet to reveal the local SRP of the ZenFone 5 series, but we’re hoping it will be priced competitively.

https://www.yugatech.com/mobile/asus-zenfone-5-series-which-one-is-for-you/

Edited by teodz1984

• Administrator
On 8/20/2018 at 7:11 AM, LeetPirate said:

I agree with the video, for a few years now the flagships all seem to cater for the "look pretty" and "better than you" social classes and rich kids. The ZenFone 5Z looks great but the thing that concerns me is that it has not caught the eye of custom rom builders so after 1 year Asus will abandon it and it will become outdated and remain bloated. I still have a nexus 4 that is five years old and running Android Oreo. :) I don't want to have to buy a new phone every year, even the iPhone becomes slow and useless after 2 years.

If you do not want the really expensive ones, then there is also this released here recently, quite cheap. But I do not know if it's released there.

I cannot say for sure for custom builds, but I think Zenfone overall has received good support from the community from what I know. The only problem is their service, at least here.

If you want to invest in a phone, first check out if there are root, kernel or custom recoveries for it.

You don't want to end up with a blackbox / locked phone without atleast root access, even if you don't use it.

As well, you must absolutely avoid automatic system updates (you might need to root the phone just to do that).

You need to review updates and consider the implications on root access and third-party mods, even if you don't use them.

Feel free to take a phone that suits you, but make sure there's a community behind to maintain it when the manufacturer abandons ship.

Manufacturers abandon ship very fast, and when that happens they lockdown the phone's 'Security' with a backdoor update to prevent people from maintaining them after the official support period ended.