Some tips to be more secure and private online

EternalPurple

EternalPurple

With the peak of the Internet more and more people are getting their business and personal stuff online. But that also has it consequences: it is the privacy and security, or more importantly, lack of. Here are some basic tips to make your life more private and secure:

1. Don’t open shady links. Now that’s an obvious one but often forgotten. ‘X tagged you in this’ or ‘look at this cute photo’ should always be taken with the grain of salt. Especially if you don’t often communicate with that person or that link doesn’t look too good like www.asdgsdg.com/photo.exe'
  2. Use quality antivirus software. Use something free like Avast or Microsoft Security Essentials or if you are willing to pay: Eset NOD32. Don’t skimp on this, it could save your digital life.
  3. Use a premium VPN. Nowadays you can barely trust your ISP to not log or use your data for potential gains. Especially in the US where they can sell your data to the advertisers. Pretty scary right? Pick something like NordVPN and get military grade security with respect to your privacy. I’ve dug out this coupon code earlier (USENORD60) which gets you 1 year of VPN for $60. A pretty good value I think.
  4. Use social media conservatively. Even if you take all the necessary precautions but post on Facebook that you aren’t home right now, it isn’t really safe, is it?
  5. Even more, I recommend not using social media, because they track you. Everybody tracks you online. Limit yourself of Google, use Duck Duck Go for searching, Privacy Badger for tracking cookies and HTTPS Everywhere extensions for security, ProtonMail for securely encrypted mail. Also, you could get one of the safest OS out there, Tails. 

Here are my 2 cents. Hope these tips are useful to someone. If you have any questions do let me know.

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep... right track... baby steps though :P

welcome to nsane :) 

browse through the forum... there's a lot to learn.

Archived