has my HDD failed? or corrupt folder??

wozzzzza

i have an acer laptop 2 years old with windows 10 with a toshiba HDD in it, HDD seems to have failed.
laptop wont boot.
i take out the drive hook up to PC via USB connector and it takes a minute then it will show the root directory but after you try and go into the users folder it sits there trying for a minute or so then gives up and dismounts. it will go into other folders fine and i can copy stuff out but not the user folder.  c:\users\acer\
i have tried scanning and fixing but still doesnt work.
anyone got any ideas i can try to recover anything from the users folder??

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Israeli_Eagle

1. Check SMART status

2. Try CHKDSK

3. And there's a good reason that strong machines (PC desktop, servers etc) only use 3.5" HDD :coolwink:

Time for an SSD!

Do you have an Image of that drive ? If you have, you can take what you want from the Image, not the HDD in case you have a virus or trojan .

Then try and reformat your Laptop HDD - if it won't reformat, its F**ked - get a new one or SSD for better performance ?

cant even get there with smart status, chkdsk wont finish.

i reckon its stuffed. nothing worthwhle on it anyway, just a spare laptop i use for various mobile things.

Israeli_Eagle
4 minutes ago, wozzzzza said:

cant even get there with smart status, chkdsk wont finish.

If you cannot even check SMART status when booted on 2nd device then the HDD is for sure dead.

Israeli_Eagle
7 minutes ago, wozzzzza said:

bios detects the drive correctly when connected via sata cable but windows doesnt detect it at all.

That only means that the hardware is still there somehow, but nothing more. Only SMART and some test tools can tell more.

Israeli_Eagle
27 minutes ago, dhjohns said:

Time for an SSD!

But then should also be a very good one (for example Samsung) as main OS device. And storage sizes are not really cheap comparing to HDD.

yeah will replace with SSD.

8 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

That only means that the hardware is still there somehow, but nothing more. Only SMART and some test tools can tell more.

what sort of test tools??

Try removing the HDD from your laptop. If you have another computer (preferably desktop), try plugging it there and see if it can be detected. If it gets detected, check the SMART status and perform CHKDSK /R. If it's not detected, then it's time to invest on a new storage device.

29 minutes ago, Israeli_Eagle said:

But then should also be a very good one (for example Samsung) as main OS device. And storage sizes are not really cheap comparing to HDD.

I got a generic from Amazon, and it works great.  Sometimes cheap is not better.  The performance of an SSD is well worth the extra money.

You can pull out the drive and gently shake . Maybe the head stucked in.

problem is disk management wont see the drive even though bios does.

i have removed from laptop connected to other desktop via sata and usb.

recognises more often with usb, but as soon as you start doing anything to it diagnostically it just dismounts all the time.  crystaldiskinfo doesnt even see it.

heads are loose, i hear them clacking around when the drive starts up

Israeli_Eagle
2 minutes ago, wozzzzza said:

problem is disk management wont see the drive even though bios does.

i have removed from laptop connected to other desktop via sata and usb.

recognises more often with usb, but as soon as you start doing anything to it diagnostically it just dismounts all the time.  crystaldiskinfo doesnt even see it.

That's really dead. I hope you have a few backups.

On 8/8/2018 at 6:03 PM, wozzzzza said:

too bad, if your drive is now a maraca its time to purchase a new one. :)

On 8/8/2018 at 11:55 AM, Israeli_Eagle said:

HDD Regenerator was more religion. :D

Praise the Lord!

HDD Regen has worked beautifully for me in the past. It can be very effective "repairing" bad sectors on a HDD. :D

On 8/8/2018 at 6:03 PM, wozzzzza said:

Put it in your freezer overnight, then pop it in real quick, and try to copy over files.

best advice i can give, IF and only IF the information in the drive is irreplaceable and of extreme importance, It is possible to read from the plates with specialized hardware. the service IS expensive, I'll tell you that much, but you can recover most if not everything you had in it. as to where? idk. they are rare, but they exist. you will have to look it up. try not to turn it on or subject it to any vibration or sudden movements and keep it horizontal.

If you are able to get that data any other way, I suggest you do that and just dump the old drive. It's not worth it.

Or try this

Open cmd and paste it : mdsched.exe

press enter and check for windows memory diagnostic

Capture.JPG

Archived